WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Machka - I would have shoved that chocolate right back at them. It's not even chocolate. :noway: It doesn't qualify as chocolate in Europe.

That's partly why I did the run! I ended up with about $10-15 worth of chocolate and a few other things. :grin:

_0011_58011354_01_DES_200G_ROAST_ALMOND_BLOCK_2D.jpg

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Machka - nice poster, but achieved is spelled wrongly. :laugh: Perhaps that's on purpose!
    DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

:D:D:D

Concerning Cadbury chocolate. Isn't that a UK company? I like Lindt 85% but I am no connoisseur. What is your favorite?

Karen in Virginia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka - I would have shoved that chocolate right back at them. It's not even chocolate. :noway: It doesn't qualify as chocolate in Europe.

That's partly why I did the run! I ended up with about $10-15 worth of chocolate and a few other things. :grin:

_0011_58011354_01_DES_200G_ROAST_ALMOND_BLOCK_2D.jpg

The roast almonds look delicious, but the "chocolate" is mainly vegetable fat and sugar. Arrrghhh!
    When my son came last week I made delicious "gobbets" for our dessert after the pub, made of 85% plain chocolate, almonds that I roasted and chopped myself and raisins. Yum!
    When I was young I used to love a bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk when I was waiting for a bus on a wintry night. :D:D:D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Becca,”Well husband had his 7th ERCP last Tuesday at OHSU, and it went OK. The docs go in via throat ( an endoscopy), to the bile duct, change out the stents, putting new ones in. He tolerates it all well, but he is sore from being manipulated!”

My DH recently had out patient gall bladder surgery.The surgeons said he came thru in good shape with BP & heart rate just fine.However,they found so many stones,he needed endoscopy surgery to clean out the bile duct & insert a stent.Since he did so well & was still out,they reccomended it be done now. So it was & 4 days later he was dismissed.

6 wks later,he went back to have the stent removed.Being tossed around was his main complaint,felt bruised & beat up.He got a great report at final check.We’d never heard of this surgery........guess you never know once Drs are involved.It’s amazing what medicine can do. Wishing the best for your husband. The 7th time? WOW !

Pat in Ohio
  • Machka9
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Machka - nice poster, but achieved is spelled wrongly. :laugh: Perhaps that's on purpose!
    DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

:D:D:D

Concerning Cadbury chocolate. Isn't that a UK company? I like Lindt 85% but I am no connoisseur. What is your favorite?

Karen in Virginia

Lindt is, I think, a somewhat better quality chocolate (and more expensive), but the Cadbury is all right.

Our Cadbury chocolates are made here in Tasmania ... where the run was held. :)

https://www.cadbury.com.au/About-Cadbury/Cadbury-in-Australia.aspx
    "In 1922, Cadbury and Fry, joined by Pascall, create a new Australian company named Cadbury-Fry and Pascall.

The company chose a factory site in Claremont, in Tasmania, whose location was ideal because of its close proximity to the city of Hobart, good source of inexpensive hydro-electricity and plentiful supply of high-quality fresh milk."

And how it's made ...
    https://www.cadbury.com.au/About-Chocolate/Chocolate-Making.aspx

"Production starts at the Singapore cocoa factory where the top quality cocoa beans are processed to produce the cocoa mass - which contains 53% cocoa and cocoa butter - the basis for all chocolate products.

When chocolate is made, the 'mass' goes straight to our factories in Victoria or Tasmania.

Fresh full cream milk is collected and condensed and transported to the factories. Sugar is added to the condensed milk with some of the cocoa mass, making a rich creamy chocolate liquid, which is then evaporated to make milk chocolate crumb.

As these ingredients are cooked together, the special rich creamy taste of Cadbury chocolate is produced. Each year, 22,000 tonnes of crumb is produced at Claremont to be made into chocolate.

On arrival at the chocolate factory, the crumb is passed through a pin mill and mixed with cocoa liquor and cocoa butter, as well as special chocolate flavouring. The amount of emulsifiers added depends on the consistency of the chocolate required. Thick chocolate is needed for moulded blocks, while a thinner consistency is used for assortments and covering bars."
    (and more within the link above)

Interesting ...
    I just looked up a Cadbury UK Dairy Milk Wholenut Chocolate Bar, and the ingredients listed are:
    Milk, sugar, cocoa butter, roasted hazelnuts, cocoa mass, vegetable fats (palm, shea), emulsifiers (E442, E476), flavourings.
    https://www.cadbury.co.uk/products/cadbury-dairy-milk-wholenut-11330

Whereas the ingredients listed on the bar of Cadbury Australia Dairy Milk Roast Almond I have in my fridge are:
    Full cream milk, sugar, almonds (19%), cocoa butter, cocoa mass, milk solids, emulsifiers (soy lecithin, 476), flavours
    Milk chocolate contains cocoa solids 26% and milk solids minimum 24%

M in Oz

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    :heart:
  • Machka9
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- I love how you broke down your weight loss journey into bite sized pieces! I just did two things yesterday. Displayed two jars in my kitchen: One with 88 glass stones to represent the 88 pounds I want to lose, and one empty. I am hoping the visual of moving each stone from a full jar to the emptier one will spur me forward. The other thing I did: Break my goals down into manageable "bites" in my journal. (ie A goal for six weeks, a goal for 12 weeks, another 12 after that, and so on...) Seeing it written down gave me new energy! You are an inspiration! I can do this! <3

Thanks! And you can do this!

During my first week, for a moment, I thought about this as a forever thing and had a small meltdown. But when I told myself it was only for a few weeks, that was OK.

As it happened, I had started my first uni course toward my Masters right about the same time as I signed on with MFP and my uni course was 14 weeks. I figured if I could handle 14 weeks of the course ... working full time while attending classes and doing assignments etc., I could handle eating less. And in many ways it was a relief to have a fairly set diet. I was so busy, but I didn't have to think about food. I knew that if I just ate this now and that then, I'd be all right. By the time I had finished the exam and everything, the 16 weeks was up!

But this is also how we are "taught" to handle the long distance rides I and my husband and many of our friends and acquaintances do. One bit at a time.

If I start a 200 kilometre ride and think to myself, "Well, I've got 199.9 km to go!" ... I'd probably turn around and go home. But if I think, "OK, it's only 40 km to the first stop. I've done 40 km many times. That's all I've got to do ... just 40 km." Then I'll go and do that 40 km, and when I get there, I'll think ... "Now I've got 50 km to the next stop. This one is a little bit longer than the last stretch, but the last stretch was all right and I've done 50 km many times". So I'll just go ride 50 km ... and so on, and before I know it, I'm done.

It's not so daunting that way. One step at a time. :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options

It's not so daunting that way. One step at a time. :)

Machka in Oz
    I'm having trouble getting motivated about this project for the class I'm currently taking. I need to have something ready for next Monday and then finish it a few days later, but my desire to work on it is low.

However, I did do some work tonight and should have the first step or maybe even second step done tomorrow.

Machka in Oz

I have to take my own advice when it comes to this project ... get working on it one step at a time!!

M in Oz

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    Lisa How appropriate your blog was yesterday.. about the will... holy cow ,we know dad had one, dont know the attorney ,and were to even look for it, that will be a work in progress.
    Sean said I should slow down and try and relax, because we are in the thick of things right now, But I will trudge on...
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Rye ~ I'm glad you have experimented and found what works best for you. We are all individuals with different bodies that react differently to food and exercise.

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    Options
    Machka - My left knee doesn't track properly and I first became aware of it at 16 years old when it blew up like a football during school celebrations. I had endless investigations at hospitals etc and nobody could find anything wrong. Very frustrating as it stopped me doing so much and that leg got very weak, so eventually I had to pick it up with my hands to get into the car. Eventually I went to see a sports physio because I had tried a bit of mild dancing at the gym and it blew up again. She knew exactly what it was straight away! (Stupid doctors) Ever since I have been working on strengthening it and do exercises every day. It is now usable and I am able to shuffle/run on it, but it is not perfect. Grrrrrrrrrr!

KJ - I use my chart on the fridge as a visual reminder of my progress with AF days and calculating my intake. It really works for me. I like seeing all my gold stars. :D

Made my ice cream, though DH and I cut up each chocolate chip individually! :o:p I've also mashed the neeps and tatties, though I will add cream, butter and chives tomorrow. I won't be having a large portion!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx