WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks Heather I’ll see if I can find anything similar here. 110 calories and 9.5 g sugar ( none added) was the nutrition info for a 1 oz serving of the stuff I had.

And don’t the men infuriate me. I watch my husband eat ALL the food (and lately he is into cooking, and cooking the most fattening things ever like King Ranch Casserole ( 850 cals a serving according to recipe builder) and Chicago Deep Dish Pizza ( 1100 cals a serving) and acts irritated and offended when I want one bite and one bite only. And I’m often giving up a whole serving of something to take that delicious but totally unsatisfactory bite.

Lol

I’m going to have to encourage him to go back to chilli and tortilla soup. At least with those dishes he adds the mountains of cheese to the bowls he eats, not to the dish so I can budget a serving of them ( without that added cheese) if I am careful about it!
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Down today. I get so worried about things that are nothing. I have to go for ‘ further tests’ on my left ready as a result of my mamo. Going to doc tomorrow for allergy testing and consulting about all test results.

I know this is minor compared to all the losses and major heal h issues others have. But I just feel like giving up already on my weight loss journey again.

RV Rita
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    :#
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Down today. I get so worried about things that are nothing. I have to go for ‘ further tests’ on my left ready as a result of my mamo. Going to doc tomorrow for allergy testing and consulting about all test results.

I know this is minor compared to all the losses and major heal h issues others have. But I just feel like giving up already on my weight loss journey again.

RV Rita

Rita
    - I was so happy to read about your walking. My suggestion - no matter what, take time for yourself and keep up with the walking. I am so glad you are back with us again and sharing photos of your new neighborhood - hairy spiders and all! ((((HUGS)))) Good luck at the doc's. Most of the time I worry way too much about that kind of stuff too.

Heather/Rye/Margaret -- I missed it-- what does the cherry juice do? Does it have to be tart to help with REM sleep?

I did take my little Fire tablet to bed last night but it was in blue shade mode for several hours prior. I went to bed and slept well - had dreams with Terry and Wendy in them. Wish I could remember what they were about! B) I don't think they were nightmares, lol.

Pip - OK, what is that photo of two teenagers relaxing (in bed?) doing on our 50+ group? LOL! B) You guys look great! Must have gotten some good rest! I'll leave that right here........

Joyce - good luck to you and your docs in getting all of your meds straightened out and you feeling better! Ellie in that skirt - too cute! She's sensational!!

Sharon
    - hang in there. Hope Jason gets the help he needs.

Janetr - Olivia is so cute getting her mani/pedi. Have a safe drive to your sister's funeral.

I'm heading into town in a bit to go over my BP readings with my doc. They are up again. I checked with Dr. Internet yesterday and found out that in the winter/cold, BP does get higher for some folks over 65, so I wonder if that's it. Our house is pretty chilly all the time except for the living room with the woodstove. In the summer my BP seems to plunge. This morning after breakfast it was 117/76. I'm not complaining about that but the readings which are in the 140/80 range and stay there all day sometimes concern me.

My DH, for all of his circulatory problems, has BP lately of under 120/80. Pulse can be higher tho, 80 to 90 beats per minute. He's 6' 1" and around 170 lbs. Heather, your DH must certainly be thin at 149. My DH doesn't get much exercise.

Broken Brain - I've been reading the comments after some of the episodes... something tells me they might rerun them all this coming weekend. I'll let you know if I hear anything. Again, I thought the one on dementia (episode 3) was very good.

Lanette
    Chilly, windy, rainy SW WA State

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    This is the link to the sleep study.
    http://valleysleepcenter.com/the-truth-about-tart-cherry-juice-and-sleep/

It is also considered good for muscle recovery after exercise. But it has to be the tart Montmorency cherries. I am buying the Biotta juice from Amazon. I am not drinking the water with it. I drink loads of tea at breakfast and liquids with dinner.
    I'm prepared to give it a go until I've finished the three bottles. If it doesn't work I haven't done myself any harm and you never know! It's working so far! I measure it out with my spirit measures. 1 oz is 28 ml. Just over my 25 ml measure. :D

Love Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    kevrit wrote: »

RV Rita

Rita
    - I was so happy to read about your walking. My suggestion - no matter what, take time for yourself and keep up with the walking. I am so glad you are back with us again and sharing photos of your new neighborhood - hairy spiders and all! ((((HUGS)))) Good luck at the doc's. Most of the time I worry way too much about that kind of stuff too.

Heather/Rye/Margaret -- I missed it-- what does the cherry juice do? Does it have to be tart to help with REM sleep?

I did take my little Fire tablet to bed last night but it was in blue shade mode for several hours prior. I went to bed and slept well - had dreams with Terry and Wendy in them. Wish I could remember what they were about! B) I don't think they were nightmares, lol.

Pip - OK, what is that photo of two teenagers relaxing (in bed?) doing on our 50+ group? LOL! B) You guys look great! Must have gotten some good rest! I'll leave that right here........

Joyce - good luck to you and your docs in getting all of your meds straightened out and you feeling better! Ellie in that skirt - too cute! She's sensational!!

Sharon
    - hang in there. Hope Jason gets the help he needs.

Janetr - Olivia is so cute getting her mani/pedi. Have a safe drive to your sister's funeral.

I'm heading into town in a bit to go over my BP readings with my doc. They are up again. I checked with Dr. Internet yesterday and found out that in the winter/cold, BP does get higher for some folks over 65, so I wonder if that's it. Our house is pretty chilly all the time except for the living room with the woodstove. In the summer my BP seems to plunge. This morning after breakfast it was 117/76. I'm not complaining about that but the readings which are in the 140/80 range and stay there all day sometimes concern me.

My DH, for all of his circulatory problems, has BP lately of under 120/80. Pulse can be higher tho, 80 to 90 beats per minute. He's 6' 1" and around 170 lbs. Heather, your DH must certainly be thin at 149. My DH doesn't get much exercise.

Broken Brain - I've been reading the comments after some of the episodes... something tells me they might rerun them all this coming weekend. I'll let you know if I hear anything. Again, I thought the one on dementia (episode 3) was very good.

Lanette
    Chilly, windy, rainy SW WA State

yes, the bed was pretty comfy and i will leave it at that :0)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Allie)))

Pip: Keep those wonderful photos coming! They always make me smile. :star:

Machka: Our refrigerator has a freezer in the bottom and double doors above it. We like that layout. We also have two freezers in the garage. We bought one and didn't like it because it wasn't quite big enough, so we bought a bigger one, but never sold the original, smaller version. DH loves to buy quantities of meat when it is on sale. :ohwell:

Evie: Not sure I understand your comment. My son is not confined. :noway:

Joyce: I hope you're able to get your meds balanced asap. I agree with Machka that you should get in to see your doctor, the sooner the better. :heart:

Heather: I'm also a dark chocolate fan. I have individually wrapped 72% dark chocolate from Giraredeli. One piece is 60 calories, and I can eat just one. Dark chocolate has all sorts of health benefits. :star: We have a load of newbies in yoga at this point. The yoga room is full. Many are New Year's Resolution folks and I expect there will be drop-outs. :ohwell:

(((Rita:))) Never ever give up on your own health. Persistence and patience are good things to practice. Perfection is not required. :heart:

Today we're getting ready to travel. I am currently cleaning up a mess in the laundry room--evidently one of my pockets had a kleenex in it. YUCK! Our cleaner is supposed to be here today but we haven't seen her so far. I wonder if there is a traffic snarl between her place and here. I am planning to take the good advice from some of you and call her attention to the few annoyances that we've had so that she has a chance to deal with them before we go looking for someone else. Our last cleaner was an absolute gem. She left when it became necessary for her to have knee surgery. One surgery became two, and she is still not completely up to par. I doubt she will resume her cleaning business. We think of her as a friend. She has left high expectations for whoever is here.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Lanette cherries raises melatonin naturally that is why it helps with REM sleep. For some reason if someone suffers from gout it is also good food that helps with that too. I don't have gout. I drink it to help with sleep. I drink a champagne flute of it about 2 hours before bed. That is about the same amount Heather recommends. The good quality brands are expensive so it helps that you do not need to drink much. For the amount I drink it is 40-50 calories. Even tart cherry juice is high in fruit sugars low in fiber so that is another reason I do not drink much of it. I wonder if one can get the same effect by eating fresh cherries. Unfortunately they are seasonal here and the season is short.

:heart: Margaret
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    yvonne I love quinoa bowls! Also, I find sticking with the smallest strategies works for me, also, stepping on the scale regularly helps. I'm off my goal/maintenance weight and just have to make smarter, healthier choices each time to get back to where I feel my best, goal/maintenance weight just feels great--

NYKAREN
  • sjcook23
    sjcook23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hey 50+,

Yesterday the Fed Gov't shut down, so I went hiking around a lake for 5 miles.
    Doing a prescribed workout 4-5 times a week.
    Hope this helps.

Sharron from Wash DC
  • kevrit
    Options
    Went for another 2 mile walk today. Didn’t help my mood by I felt good about myself doing it.

For those who asked about lifetime stats and where to find them, I just found mine again at the bottom of my weekly summary.

Thanks for the encouraging words all. I won’t give up. Just sometimes wonder why we try.

RV Rita
  • kevrit
    Options
    Desert plants in the winter. A Cholla cactus, a Prickly Pear cactus and a Creosote Bush.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    langman22 ~ Check your messages. I sent you one about your new venture.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Terry

I’m going to put a link here - but the mods might edit it out
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075KK471M/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1516735138&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=light+box+photography&dpPl=1&dpID=41hEK6IVWYL&ref=plSrch

On amazon search for light box photography- the “ box” I linked to was about 15 dollars but for a long time I just made do with using a draped white slip or fabric lining material as background. The full box is good for when glare is a problem - but carefully setting up the light works fine. I would have a tape measure or ruler in the pic with the jewelry piece so people get a good idea of what you crafted,
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    So day 2 of logging. I know it seems silly to count that, but I am of the temperament that if I don't count it, I have failed for the day. The act of logging is something I'm still trying to master. To write it, and bite it! Eat what I write, no changes! And its not like I eat badly, I just change my mind! Oye! I frustrate myself sometimes!

Well husband had his 7th ERCP last Tuesday at OHSU, and it went OK. The docs go in via throat ( an endoscopy), to the bile duct, change out the stents, putting new ones in. He tolerates it all well, but he is sore from being manipulated!

This week we go again to OHSU to speak with his liver doctors. He can't do ERCPs all his life. Another option is to remove the duct part with issues and mainline the new (well three years old), liver into the bowels. Pretty major surgery. I would be putting my wife's hat to the side, and plopping on the uncomfortable caregivers hat, which is scary. I would get help from my middle son and DIL in Vancouver though. Staying there hopefully, as he recovers. I have a sister probably the same distance away, but she never was there for me when he had his transplant, so asking her to help me now seems pointless. I still have a lot of resentment about that....

Our moving to Whidbey island would of course be delayed. Or maybe we would move then get surgery. Whidbey island is a long ways away from OHSU. We have noticed that once we got the transplant, OHSU is very protective of us and where we can get service. The local hospital here knows not to touch him, just ships us off to Portland.

My worst fear of course, is losing my healthy husband for a bit. Taking the reins so to speak. Well, I hope the doctors have more than one option for us this week. I suppose a long conversation with husband is in order. I know he isn't keen on the doctors opening him up again. There is an out of state center of OHSU at Washington Medical University, along I-5 and we could attend there for ERCPs and just do yearly checkups at OHSU. But that would be the easy way out. A band aid fix.
    Hugs to all of yas!
    Becca
    Oregon
    y8jxikthgiy2.jpg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Heather: I admire your proficiency with languages and your willingness to use new ones as you travel. :star:

Sharon from DC: Congratulations on a positive use for your day off due to the shut down. :flowerforyou:

Our housecleaner didn't show up today so I called her. She had a bunch of excuses and wanted me to give her a key so she could come in while we're away. Not going to happen. We'll be looking for someone when we get back home. Our haircutter gave us the business card for our dog sitter, along with a positive recommendation. She says she has business cards for house cleaners, too. We'll stop in and see what she has when we get home and are ready to start a search. If our current cleaner did a fabulous job and left our photos hanging straight I might have a softer attitude. There is always something that she's done in haste that we have to clean up. That didn't happen with the wonderful woman we had before. I miss her and hope to find someone with the kind of work ethic that she had.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending." CS Lewis