WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Katla, I phrased my comment about your son incorrectly. His confinement is over fairly soon is what I meant to say.
    Lori, I grew up in Golden, B.C., we'd go to Calgary to shop every now and again. Enjoyed those trips!
    Today has been a decent day. Had a good workout this morning, the TRX trainer that I like was back today. She was quite ill for a few weeks, very happy that she's feeling better now. Well, I was happy til the class was over, then I had mixed feelings! lol Seriously, it was a good class, I do enjoy the TRX. Got together with some friends this afternoon, very enjoyable couple of hours working on our individual craft projects and catching up. We usually get together Monday afternoons, so not a lot of catching up, but we sometimes solve the world's issues too! lol
    Yvonne, I'm sorry to hear about your dad passing. HUGS
    That's all for me today. Take care ladies!!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,071 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Well guys I haven't had the best of days. It's all about my blood pressure. I feel it governs my whole lif these days. It starts out yesterday, I wrote about it. But last nights reading was high enough I took all my regulars medicines. It was 10:30 when I took my medicines. I remember saying that I wish I could have called Dr. Crawford to make sure it was OK to take all of those meds. Guys, I take some pretty strong doses. But I took all of them. Joyce, Indiana

You might find a site like this useful for checking side effects and interactions:
    https://www.drugs.com/

I would strongly recommend getting to see your Dr in person as soon as possible, but meanwhile, if you're in doubt about what you're taking, you could check that site and see if it has any warnings.

Is your Dr aware of ALL the medications you are taking and the doses? When you go to see him/her (in the next day or so), bring them all with you and set them out so he/she can see them.

My grandmother ended up on a long list of medications and was struggling with dizziness and all sorts of symptoms. Fortunately, my parents moved into the area, and my mother (a nurse) had a good look at what she was on, and was horrified. But my grandmother had gone to 2 or 3 different doctors for different things and each one had put her on another medication or two, many of which weren't meant to be used together. Together, my mother and grandmother went to my grandmother's usual doctor and did just what I suggested ... set out all the medications so her usual doctor could see. Several things were dropped, changed, etc. and my grandmother felt a lot better after that.

Also, if your blood pressure ever drops that low again, call 911 (in your country).

Anything below 80/60 usually indicates severely low blood pressure. When I come out of surgeries, mine will often drop that low and the recovery room medical staff become quite concerned. The last time I had surgery, not only did they drop the head of the bed low and elevate my feet, they also had blood pressure cuffs attached to each ankle in an attempt to assist my circulation.

Machka in Oz

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,648 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Becca – the challenge it’s interesting, some of it would be easy for me, some hard… there are 10 items listed, I might try one a month for 10 months…

Machka –

I make a lot of traditional jam/jelly and there is a low sugar pectin out there, in California it is the pink box of SurJel, what I have found with that is that the jam is the more solid consistency but if it is a fruit that discolors (ie; peaches/apricot) it will turn to a brownish shade after about 3 months on the shelf, my guess is that freezer jam would not have that problem. Also most brands of either liquid or dry pectin do have a recipe inside for a freezer variety.

Heather – great news on the trees!!!

Tere – great progress!!! ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))sorry to hear about your friend.
    Yvonne – (((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))

Joyce – hang in there! Sending you good thoughts!

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • Machka9
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Machka –

I make a lot of traditional jam/jelly and there is a low sugar pectin out there, in California it is the pink box of SurJel, what I have found with that is that the jam is the more solid consistency but if it is a fruit that discolors (ie; peaches/apricot) it will turn to a brownish shade after about 3 months on the shelf, my guess is that freezer jam would not have that problem. Also most brands of either liquid or dry pectin do have a recipe inside for a freezer variety.

This is the only pectin I was able to find: http://fowlersvacola.com.au/shop/preserving-aids/jamsetta

Jamsetta-325x244.jpg

This site shows the recipe that comes with it, typed on the back of the 50 gram packet ... it only comes in a 50 gram packet, and I used the whole thing even though I only had 1.25 kg of cherries not the 1.5 kg of cherries it indicates on the back.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/30309/fowlers-baking-aids-vacola-jamsetta

If you go to that second site, the woolworths site, there should be a "People Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" section. I also got the CSR setting sugar you can see there, in the red packet, which has some pectin mixed in.

Other than those two things, my only other options were gelatine.

Anyway, after I put one container in the fridge, and stuffed the rest of the containers into my freezer, the one in the fridge thickened up a little and is actually really nice. It's got a good strong flavour of cherries and is about as sweet as it could be without being sickly sweet.

We've been eating it with scones and cream the last couple nights, and then last night I also put a couple teaspoons onto my yogurt. That was delicious!

Machka in Oz
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,319 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Sue - You must have been in England a long time ago! :D The bag thing is the same though. It's to avoid plastic waste. The Haggis poem is written in Scots. It's considered a separate language by some, but it's certainly a dialect. It's not standard English.

The list of things you shouldn't eat - I don't eat any of them! o:) Partly because I'm not interested, but nowdays I look at cakes and cookies and just see yuk and heart attacks. :o i don't even eat my own cakes, made with good ingredients - no boxes! Actually I do eat 100 calories (less than 1 oz) of dark chocolate sometimes after my dinner - minimum 70% cocoa. It is very good for you. An anti oxidant.
    However, I am not a saint as I still struggle with drinking just one glass of alcohol. None is fine, so I do that most nights with my AF beer.
    I've drunk my tart cherry juice two days running - 1oz morning and night. Slept well! :laugh: But I don't think a sample of one is much evidence. DH is very sceptical, but I'm giving it a try as it can't do any harm and I love the taste.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Tere and Yvonne <3 goes out to you and yours.
    Allie wish your brother wouldn't make it harder for you. Isn't it enough you must comfort your children while grieving yourself? :cry: Did your brother and your father have a good relationship? Could he be acting out, taking it out on you?
    Lanette ". . .Sean Connery from 40 years ago would show up in a kilt!" I'd eat haggis to be there ;):yum:
    Penny What cuties! Glad to see you post, was worrying a bit. Are there greenhouses in the North Pole? How do you get your 500 g raw vegs in daily?
    Meg we're here for you. Couragia. :heart:
    Michele Love little cans of spicy v8, stick one in the car every time I leave the house... keeps me out of the drive thru ;) The antipasto I remember was a tray with olives, salami, pickled mushrooms, marinated artichoke hearts and sometimes cheese. Rats, now I'm hungry!
    pip Dang you guys are cute!
    Becca Blacktongued blaaah hahahaha. :laugh: Cilantro, blech. :sick:
    Joyce ditto what Machka said. :worried: Glad your Dr. called back and changed meds, that much fluctuation in BP can not be good. :noway: Really hoping Wednesday's appt brings pain relief too. Ellie looks like a young "Diana the huntress". Hope her parents have a BIG baseball bat :)
    Kim "try one a month..." now why didn't I think of that? :mrgreen:
    Machka home made cherry jam with yoghurt or scones and cream... YUM. Cherry season is so far away here... and I have no idea how/where I could find clotted cream. Want to share your scone recipe?

Messiness: Time for desktop archeology. Finally sat down to schedule a massage, can't find the masseuses' business cards. :tired_face:

Mindful and WARM Hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
  • KarenUK56
    KarenUK56 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Well guys I haven't had the best of days. It's all about my blood pressure. I feel it governs my whole lif these days. It starts out yesterday, I wrote about it. But last nights reading was high enough I took all my regulars medicines. It was 10:30 when I took my medicines. I remember saying that I wish I could have called Dr. Crawford to make sure it was OK to take all of those meds. Guys, I take some pretty strong doses. But I took all of them. My reading first thing when I woke up was so so and I took them all is afternoon when Charlie got home from the grocery store I was in the kitchen putting things away when I felt dizzy, but this time it was really dizzy. So I walked into the living room, and took my blood pressure. Guys, it was 67/48. I was cold and clammy. So I sat myself , rather laid myself on my couch and put my feet on the arm rests and had Charlie bring me the phone. So I called Drs office and face them yesterday's and today's readings. So she called later and one of my meds that is 4 times a day is cut in half. She said that Dr would talk to me on Wesnesday about what to do about the rest of my medicines. It is getting pretty warm outside but my hand and face are so cold. I just sit in my recliner wrapped up in my double layered ha wavy fleece blanket with my hand rolled up in an edge. I made the unfortunate choice tonight to have some ice cream. I still haven't recovered from that. I considered having Charlie making me some hot chocolate to reverse the extreme cold but I didn't want the calories of hot chocolate so he brought me a glass of pretty warm water and I swished that aroundi re. It didn't help. I had a shredded beef taco salad tonight and could only eat half of it because it made my face hurt so much.

I remembered tonight that the area I had my stroke in, e thalamus, controls the body temperature. So this may be what is going on. All will be answered Wednesday.

Karen UK, that job is wonderful. Being able to sit and just interact with those kids everyday. The impact that can make on yours and thier life is wowndeful. And you make money doing it. Win Win!!!!!!

Kelly, yours also!!, I would just love to see that video.
    I
    I will see if I can download a pic of Ellie at her archery tournament. Ok, here se is. You don't see her face, just her form and frilly skirtxirkhbnce7tf.jpeg

Joyce, Indiana

Joyce, I hope your doc can sort out your problems soon. I had a heart attack four years ago followed, four weeks later, by a stroke. I try to eat as healthily as possible and take regular exercise but, always at the back of my mind, is the thought that I may have another one. Will you be seeing your doctor face to face or, will it be a telephone consultation?
    Thank you for your comments about my new job and I love the pic of your Ellie!
    I hope you're feeling better soon.
    Take care
    Karen UK
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka home made cherry jam with yoghurt or scones and cream... YUM. Cherry season is so far away here... and I have no idea how/where I could find clotted cream. Want to share your scone recipe?

These are the scones:
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/basic-scones-2/2d9601cf-3944-4ca7-adef-1e2498344874

Really quick and easy! Now they suggest a 5 cm pastry cutter, but I'd recommend going slightly larger.

M in Oz

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Machka9
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Machka - in memory of my father I always make my scones triangular. I make a circle and cut it into 8. (It's 8 oz of flour.) We didn't have cutters when I was a child, so that's how I remember him making them.
    I'm very fussy about my scones. No sugar, no raisins :noway: yuk. They are sacred. :laugh:

Scones are just not a regular part of my diet and in fact, I can't remember the last time I had them ... if I ever have. My husband says I have, but I don't remember. The scones themselves are all right, but I'm not keen on the cream side of things.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    I'm having trouble getting motivated about this project for the class I'm currently taking. I need to have something ready for next Monday and then finish it a few days later, but my desire to work on it is low.

However, I did do some work tonight and should have the first step or maybe even second step done tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I did get out for an 11.6 km bicycle ride today ... that was nice! :)

Machka in Oz
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Tart Cherry Juice I was doing this before I dieted. I didn’t like it by itself but mixed with seltzer water or diet ginger-ale ( which I also stopped when I started diet) it was so good.

But 110 calories and all the sugar in it meant it had to be one of the first things eliminated from my calories. I did get a tart cherry extract supplement but I think it extracted OUT the good for you ness, I’m not planning on getting that supplement again.

I could budget calories for an occasional splurge now, but it would be lower down on the splurge desire list so I doubt I’ll buy it again. Too many goodies in the world, not enough calories. :( lol

Rye ( in Texas, still feeling like crap, but now it is sinus head and I’m blaming the cedar in the air).