JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,745 Member
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »

I think stories like those are what makes me want to stop weekday drinking. I think my drinking is in control at the moment. But I know lots of people think that and then it gets out of control, and I don't want that to happen to me!

My biggest hobby is reading, but that's actually quite difficult to do on my commute home when I'm already a bit wound up, as it's hard to focus attention on something when your mind is going all over the place.

I'm starting to think that hobbies or activities which occupy your hands/ body are probably best, in that they give you something to do/focus on while your mind is active, without requiring you to concentrate THAT hard.

I'm really not a crafty person, but I do like drawing. And also like:

- Listening to music
    - Playing music
    - Writing
    - Cooking, when I have enough energy...

Wondering if I can incorporate some of these into my commute/early evening in some way... Will give this some thought!

Wine is my hubbys biggest downfall. We both eat so healthy all day... and then he probably has 3-4 glasses of wine every nite. He listens to music every nite, and somehow, a glass of wine goes perfect with sitting and listening to music. He knows he should not have this much, but he is having a hard time with finding a substuite. I tend to eat ... that is my drink of choice!
    Do you like to knit or do something that you can do even when you are tired? I sew on my machine, but I really want to learn to knit.. you know .. something to do when I am too tired to set at a machine.
    I would love to know how to write .... something like this would keep your mind and your hands busy!

I have never particularly liked knitting :smile: I attempted to make a scarf for my teddy when I was a child but whilst I quite enjoyed doing lots of rows, I was too lazy to learn how to finish it... Poor Teddy had to continue with a cold neck!

I haven't actually written for a very long time. I used to want to write a book and kept on coming up with ideas and starting them, but somehow never managed to finish them... Sometimes I wonder if I actually like writing or if I just like the idea of having written something! Might be worth experimenting with this though.

I think music is probably a good shout for me. It used to be such a big part of my life (I was in orchestras for several years) and now I hardly do it at all. I think I am going to:
    - Actually get round to putting my favourite music on my phone to listen to on my commute
    - Potentially buy an electronic piano. I have been thinking about doing this for a while, but put it off because I thought it was a faff given we might move and they are not easy to move. But maybe I should just do it - I think it would bring me a lot of joy

I literally LOL at your poor teddy's cold neck. I am like you I never learned how to finish something I started in knitting. As a matter of fact I thought last winter I would try again and have this little scarf all ready to be finished off and yet it sits, collecting dust.

I learned a valuable lesson one time about putting things off. A friend had bought me a candle that had a little charm or trinket in it that would reveal itself as the candle burned down. The candle itself was very pretty, so I never wanted to burn it. I kept saving it for the "perfect time", well we had a house fire and my candle got destroyed without me ever seeing what the treasure was.

The moral of the story is: Don't put off what makes you happy. Life goes by so fast and you need to do what you can to have the simple pleasures whenever possible. As you get older the days and evenings of playing your piano will mean more to you than the one day frustration of having to move it down the road.
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Soooo Samson should be 3 today. Honestly, this is the first year I've not been so messed up from it. I had been living so bitterly since it happened, i hated everything, I hated that something took him, I'll be honest before it all I had never really thought of my religion. But whilst pregnant with him I attended my nieces christening (to which I am now Godparent) and the priest there wished to bless me and my baby. And I let him, allowed myself to be open and accept God. And then a couple of weeks later I'm being told my baby's not gonna survive. Well I had hatred for everything since then. Its been a very weird process, I often wonder if I made the right decision to terminate, if it was because he was a boy and I struggled to conceive boys, if it was my fault for accepting a blessing when I didn't fully believe in god, I then started hating God, I had to blame someone, and he got it all. Then in the second year, at my bitterest I just felt despair. And it was then I made the decision to speak to God. (bearing in mind this is something Ive never really done) and I realised he only took him because he had to. Its weird from that point I KNEW Samson was being looked after (wherever that may be) and I started to heal. And today, on what would be his birthday, I don't feel sad.
    Happy Birthday Samson! ❤️

Such a beautiful post in every way Bex. Love and hugs to you x

Such a thoughtful and open post. I'm so glad you found a way to heal.

Good Morning! Sorry you haven't heard from me... On my Tablet, I can't log in to my opening page, nor can I log my food/exercise, when the page opens to the bowl of fruit, and I click the bar that says Log In with Facebook and the menu list shows... I click Community and that's how I get to chat with everyone...
    Love you💝🌹
  • Snowflake1968
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @Faebert Good luck today for you and your sister! It must be so scary but I'm hoping and praying for good news!

@PackerFanInGB I did see your comment regarding the quilt. LOL how has it got so big!! I can't wait for it haha!

@maryrobinson40 How is your brother, I know you said he went to a hospice. And more importantly, how are you x

@mytime6630 Well done on the No snack last night! How are you :)

And for those who are struggling with smoke/fires, how is all that now? Is it still causing lots of problems?

We had a pretty clear day here Sunday and most of the day yesterday. The wind has picked up again this morning coming from the West and we are seeing smoke again, which is supposed to get worse today and tomorrow. I heard on the radio this morning that we have had 168 hours of smoke in the air which beats a record set in 1961. I looked at the BC forecast and still only one day of rain forecast and not until Sunday.

I'll be B***hing I can't walk and the two days that I could have I didn't get a walk in. Sunday I worked hard all day in the shed and yesterday I was working in the shed to finish that up when a friend stopped into visit and didn't leave until almost 9pm. See putting things off is just not a good idea.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Sending prayers and good thoughts to everyone who may be struggling today. Be kind to everyone you meet today, because we have no idea what they may be struggling with, and your singular kindness might help them more than you expect.

My goals for today:
    Find some more new recipes -I have the double challenge of low calorie and low carb (for my husband).

45 minutes of exercise.

Gratitude.

• Snowflake1968
    Options
    Soooo Samson should be 3 today. Honestly, this is the first year I've not been so messed up from it. I had been living so bitterly since it happened, i hated everything, I hated that something took him, I'll be honest before it all I had never really thought of my religion. But whilst pregnant with him I attended my nieces christening (to which I am now Godparent) and the priest there wished to bless me and my baby. And I let him, allowed myself to be open and accept God. And then a couple of weeks later I'm being told my baby's not gonna survive. Well I had hatred for everything since then. Its been a very weird process, I often wonder if I made the right decision to terminate, if it was because he was a boy and I struggled to conceive boys, if it was my fault for accepting a blessing when I didn't fully believe in god, I then started hating God, I had to blame someone, and he got it all. Then in the second year, at my bitterest I just felt despair. And it was then I made the decision to speak to God. (bearing in mind this is something Ive never really done) and I realised he only took him because he had to. Its weird from that point I KNEW Samson was being looked after (wherever that may be) and I started to heal. And today, on what would be his birthday, I don't feel sad.

I can't imagine the heartbreak that came with having to make that decision. I do believe in God and still question and blame Him when things like that happen. The grieving process is a long and windy road with so many emotions. I'm happy for you that you don't feel sad today, Happy Birthday to Samson.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Checking in from Monday
    1. AM easy/tempo run: 12 laps; even laps 2-10 timed. Feed cats. Shower. Morning meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Take tortillas and blueberries for ELA lunch. Take celery!
    2. MCDONALD'S BREAKFAST! YAY! Submit week 4 plan. Review semester plan. Cross-reference assessments and standards; which standards are over- or under-assessed? What is my purpose for each unit? Print Week 4 plans. Print 5PE articles. Make coffee. When should I work in modeling how I curate articles?
    3. Work on seminar proposal. Write blog post.
    4. Update class websites. Write worksheets for summer projects. Have K use key to mark grammar work.
    5. Strength 4:30, Zumba 5:30.
    6. Prep Tue lunch - burrito? soup? Chop celery. Meds. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 4:50.

JFT Tuesday
    1. AM basic run: 16 laps; aim for <35 minutes. Feed cats. Shower. Morning meds. Tea! Log 1 item.
    2. Eval SJ SHP and return. Input 3rd block back work and print progress reports. Review semester plan. Cross-reference assessments and standards; which standards are over- or under-assessed? What is my purpose for each unit? Print 5PE articles. Make coffee. Today: Begin with reading, review prepositional phrases, model how I curate articles.
    3. Work on seminar proposal. Write blog post. Put extra photocopies in folders and back in filing cabinet.
    4. Update class websites. Have K use key to mark grammar work. Input SHP grades. Get chili from office kitchen.
    5. Help with softball after school (4:30). Take a comfy chair. Discussion post 1 and quiz. Check bank hours.
    6. Prep Wed lunch - burrito? Chop celery. Meds. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 4:50.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    February 2018: 173.6
    March 2018: 179.6
    July 2018: 189.6
    Today: 189.6

Upcoming to-do:
    1. Check blogroll and follow bloggers on Twitter.
    2. Write next blog post. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun?
    3. Keep track of medical stuffs. Dentist? Appt w D 10/22 9:20; McC 10/22 10:15. Also Feb 7 9:30 w Ac Int. Sub already set up.
    4. Grade summer essays. Organize and grade narratives. Update parent group lists with NAMES. Note reply emails.
    5. Check on conference; create seminar proposal.
    6. Return mascara to Walmart with receipt. Go to used bookstore; take bags-of-bags and look for Beauty (McKinley), Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), and The Prince (tr. Tim Parks).
    7. Put jewelry away. Yikes! Reinforce patches on old pants.
    8. Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac.
    9. Go to bank to set up loan to pay for masters classes.

Did you teach summer courses too? Or is the school you teach at already back in session?
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Wow! 45 posts since I checked in 18 hours ago! I spent most of yesterday looking up recipes and things that I want to try out. I actually made a skillet chicken dinner last night. I haven't done that in a few weeks. I think because I hate cutting up chicken. I've decided that tonight when I get home I am going to cut up a couple of chicken breasts and put it in the freezer so that I can just grab and go. I've also asked my Mom if I can take over her kitchen on Saturday morning. She will be working. And I think my Dad will be as well. That way I'll have their house to myself so I can pump up some music, do laundry and use their oven/multi-burner stove. I'm going to do a whole bunch of freezer meals and things. The DH has also requested that I start making smoothies for him. So I think that that is going to be what I do for today if we are as dead as we were yesterday. Look up recipes that is. Yesterday was pretty terrible at work. Not as bad as when she who will not be named was there but just so interminably boring! I spent probably a total of 2 or 3 hours on my phone! It was nuts!

Umm...what else...I was sick for a few hours yesterday. I'm going to wait until Saturday to take another test. Keep praying/hoping/crossing fingers guys(well women! Lol)

So I took my managers advice and set my alarm for 6 and as soon as I turned the alarm off I went right into the shower. I didnt sit down after my shower for like 20 minutes and when I did all the lights in the house were on and Matt was awake so I didnt get the chance to go back to bed. It is now 7:17. I've had two cups of coffee, prepped the meat for lunches, tidied up a bit, did the few dishes that were left in the sink, caught up on MFP and am now posting! I just need to get dressed, put on makeup, make lunches and head to work. It is going to be a GOOD DAY! I feel great!

Okay! So goals for today 8/21/18

1. Attempt to log all food
    2. Up at 6 :)WooHoo!
    3. Shower :)See # 2
    4. Prep lunches
    5. Work 8:15-5:15
    6. DROP OFF LIBRARY BOOKS!!!!
    7. Make sensible choices at D's tonight!
    8. Look up smoothie recipes
    9. Cut up chicken/put in freezer
    10. Bed by 12

Have a great day everyone!

That is how 90% of my days are! I understand perfectly what a miserable day it can make. I don't know what I'll do when I actually get busy at work. I'll miss checking in on MFP all day!

Great job on getting up and staying up this morning!
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Recap M 8/20
    1) Walked dog before work / 3.66 mi 1:03:20 / stretched = happy dog :smiley: & happy me :smiley:
    2) Move hourly / stairs breaks at work = Fitbit 16,134 steps, 250+ steps 14/14 (boom!) & 62 floors :smiley:
    3) Meals & snacks prelogged / stick w/ plan / net calories green / no snack after supper / > 12c water = Stuck w/ plan but added one piece of bread at dinner ~ net calories -117, sodium -1,186 (yikes), sugar -25 (fruits, veggies, bread, choc zucchini cake), fiber & protein good :neutral: 14c water :smiley:
    4) Evening: bank on way home & get cash :smiley: / prep wedding & anniversary cards :smiley: / leave note for hubby ~ our 14th wedding anniversary when he comes home after midnight <3 / DDS bill :smiley: / review donate pile :smiley: / put away clean clothes :smiley: / other to-do's? refilled hummingbird feeder (boiled syrup on lunch hour), boiled eggs, washed dishes :smiley:
    5) Unplug 9:00 :smiley: / floss :smiley: / retainers :smiley: / bed & TV off 10:15 :smiley: (maybe rest day T ~ rain forecast)

JFT T 8/21 ~ planned rest day (rainy night/morning) = sad dog
    1) Meals & snacks prelogged except veggies for supper / look up eggplant recipes / net calories < 100 red
    2) Move hourly / stairs breaks at work
    3) After work: gas in car / Post Office
    4) Unplug 9:00 / floss / retainers / bed & TV off 10:15 (walk dog before work W)

Evening Snack Challenge ~ my goal to not snack past 9 p.m.
    1. Peanut M&Ms (wanted something sweet) when got home at 9pm
    2. 1 chocolate power muffin before 8:30
    3. 1/4c chicken salad after 9:00 (emotional eating) :s
    4. Peanut M&Ms 9pm
    5. Nothing after supper :star:
    6. Nothing after Feast w/ the Beasts ended at 8pm :p
    7. Late supper after spa/massage appt. & nothing after 8pm :smile:
    8. Nothing after supper :star:
    9. Brookside pomegranate dark chocolate at 8:30 (down in dumps) :s
    10. Animal crackers after 9pm :s
    11. Late supper after balloon ascension/glow followed by ice cream w/ hubby when we got home 9:30 :#
    12. Supper over at 8pm & had few peanut M&Ms later (not sure of time) :/
    13. 9 plain M&Ms after supper (counted three each red, white, blue) BEFORE 9 :smile:
    14. Unplanned frozen strawberry bar (80 cal) at 8pm, after supper & roses/garden work :smile:
    15. 3 animal crackers after 9pm & busy w/ household chores :p
    16. 10 peanut M&Ms after 9pm :s
    17. Brookside pomegranate dark chocolate after all chores done / past 9pm :s
    18. Napped in evening after family left, then had plain M&Ms after 9pm :s
    19. Nothing after supper :star: finally!
    20. Nothing after supper :star:

Happy Anniversary!
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    JFT - Monday August 20
    2L of Water - :)
    Calories in Green by 150 - :# I was just hungry again! In red by 105
    Outside 15 Minutes - :)
    Only 1 Evening Snack - >:)
    Walk - :/ - Was planning on it after I finished up my last task in the shed, but my friend showed up
    Yoga or Pilates - :/ See Above
    Write in Journal - :)
    Make appointments for blood work and mammogram - :)

JFT - Tuesday August 21
    2L of Water
    Calories in Green by 150
    Outside 15 Minutes - if smoke stays minimal
    Only 1 Evening Snack
    Walk
    Yoga or Pilates - MUST DO
    Write in Journal
    Mail card to Wyatt
    Mail Insurance document
    Find office spaces for J

I am down to the bottom of one box to finish sorting and organizing in the shed. Hopefully I can get that done this evening. I need to get it finished so that I can start on the craft room as there are things in there that should be in the shed! I really need one more room in my house.

My friend keeps bringing me clothes as she loses weight. We weigh almost the same now and she keeps insisting on bringing them even when I say no. I feel bad because I am putting them in a donation bag that I keep on the go for my own clothes. Once my bag is full I take it away!

I had a two hour meeting yesterday with the other business team. It looks like we are going for an official start of October 1st! So maybe by the middle of September I will be giving my notice here. My only concern right now is a vehicle. I can't afford to go buy a car right now and I'll be losing a company car. I need to figure this out.

My scale was playing with me this morning. I first stepped on and it said 177 - I thought that can't be right so tried again, 184 - then tried again and it was 183.2.... Maybe I need to change the batteries. Boy that 177 had me soaring for a second though!

Have a great day everyone.
  • maryrobinson40
    Options
    To all my JFTers: Hugs and keeping everyone in my prayers as we go through daily struggles. <3:smiley:

@Bex953172 Happy birthday, Samson!

Thank you😅🌹
  • Snowflake1968
    Options

Such a beautiful post in every way Bex. Love and hugs to you x

Such a thoughtful and open post. I'm so glad you found a way to heal.

Good Morning! Sorry you haven't heard from me... On my Tablet, I can't log in to my opening page, nor can I log my food/exercise, when the page opens to the bowl of fruit, and I click the bar that says Log In with Facebook and the menu list shows... I click Community and that's how I get to chat with everyone...
    Love you💝🌹

Have you tried logging in without doing it through facebook? Sometimes restarting your tablet will fix things too.
  • maryrobinson40
    Options
    My MFP LOG IN hasn't worked since Friday, so I haven't been able to log food or exercise. I can only come here, which is really weird. Anyway... I'm gonna have to figure something out, because I don't want to lose the momentum I was gaining.

YOu had mentioned that you were using the log in through facebook option. Does it work if you log in directly to the app? Do you use it on a phone, tablet or computer?

Hi!... I'm on an Android Tablet..it won't allow me to log in using my email because I opened it at the start using my FB account to access this site.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    My MFP LOG IN hasn't worked since Friday, so I haven't been able to log food or exercise. I can only come here, which is really weird. Anyway... I'm gonna have to figure something out, because I don't want to lose the momentum I was gaining.

YOu had mentioned that you were using the log in through facebook option. Does it work if you log in directly to the app? Do you use it on a phone, tablet or computer?

Hi!... I'm on an Android Tablet..it won't allow me to log in using my email because I opened it at the start using my FB account to access this site.

Hmmm, maybe try restarting the tablet. How frustrating for you.
  • maryrobinson40
    Options

Yes Sister... I've been trying to get this straight since Saturday... The last food and exercise recording I did was on Friday. Before this, I could Log In using FB, but my Daily Summary page wouldn't load... So, I don't know.
    I'd hate to close the whole thing and not be able to communicate with all of you... I've grown attached to you all and you're in my heart and prayers..😅💕
  • Snowflake1968
    Options

Yes Sister... I've been trying to get this straight since Saturday... The last food and exercise recording I did was on Friday. Before this, I could Log In using FB, but my Daily Summary page wouldn't load... So, I don't know.
    I'd hate to close the whole thing and not be able to communicate with all of you... I've grown attached to you all and you're in my heart and prayers..😅💕

That's weird. Hopefully you get it fixed, at least you can see us!
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Hi all

So unfortunately it’s not good news for my sister. She has a carcinoma in the duct. Luckily it is not invasive but it’s high grade which means they believe it could become so. She has opted to go for a double mastectomy with reconstruction and it is all likely to happen quite fast - within the next month or so. Not that it is a a priority at the moment but they’ve also said they will send her for genetic testing as it’s highly likely given our family history that it is a genetically linked cancer - so implications for me.

I feel pretty numb right now. I wasn’t expecting it to be nothing but was hopeful that it would be at worst pre-cancerous cell changes so less urgent. She has two young children, one of whom is profoundly disabled, so we will all need to pull together to help her through surgery and recovery.

Going to try and rest a bit tonight but I need some distraction so if you find me on here wittering a lot this evening you know why!

X

I'm so very sorry it wasn't better news for your sister and for you. We are all here for you.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,076 Member
    Options
    @Faebert Oh I'm so sorry it's not better news :( how does your sister feel xx I'm not gonna lie I have no idea what I can say which would make you feel even the slightest bit better but if you need to vent or anything then I'm here x
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Hi all

So unfortunately it’s not good news for my sister. She has a carcinoma in the duct. Luckily it is not invasive but it’s high grade which means they believe it could become so. She has opted to go for a double mastectomy with reconstruction and it is all likely to happen quite fast - within the next month or so. Not that it is a a priority at the moment but they’ve also said they will send her for genetic testing as it’s highly likely given our family history that it is a genetically linked cancer - so implications for me.

I feel pretty numb right now. I wasn’t expecting it to be nothing but was hopeful that it would be at worst pre-cancerous cell changes so less urgent. She has two young children, one of whom is profoundly disabled, so we will all need to pull together to help her through surgery and recovery.

Going to try and rest a bit tonight but I need some distraction so if you find me on here wittering a lot this evening you know why!

X

Big hugs to you and your family! You all will be in my thoughts.
  • bcTRAI
    bcTRAI Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Okay, one more try! I've done this twice and the first time it disappeared, the second time it disappeared when I had to wait too long to press post.
    FYI.... We are safe here from the fires. It's just the smoke that's getting us now. The fire closest to us is now considered "contained". Gotta love the euphemism. Asthma is really kicking my butt. I'm spending all my time indoors, in air conditioning if possible. We can't open our windows at night. This morning I opened one window, faced a fan at it, and turned it on high. I got the temperature down to 75°. Yay! Then closed the window and went to work.
    So basically we're fine, just annoyed with all of this.

JFT Tues
    1. Water
    2. Work
    3. Set up for Wed
    4. Brush and floss
    5. Bed by 10:30