Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Most every generation thinks the music from older generations is awful. In actuality, the evolution of music through the decades is pretty amazing, speaks to the culture of the time, and carries pretty great historical significance. I wouldn't really call any of it "crap" or "garbage".

And to call the Beatles a "fluff band"? Now that's pure sacrilege! :o (and that wasn't even my generation)

The Beetles in the British Invasion days were totally the first "boy band"...they morphed into something else later, particularly as they went out on their own as individual solo artists, but they totally started out as a fluff boy band and that was the height of their popularity with all of the screaming young girls...

You're right and I stand corrected. I was too young to be part of the screaming hoard and only became aware of their music after they became more political. Although it was still good music (IMO) and something new on the music scene.

Definitely good music...though I enjoy their individual work more and they were good musicians...
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I find it funny when people say the music of today is crap :lol: Have you heard the old "American top 40s" shows they play on the radio now and again? All one hit wonders that nobody would ever listen to now, even by the generation that listened to it at the time, pure garbage.
    Yeah, I love older music, but a lot of it wasn't popular at the time or well known, and even if it was some of it was pure fluff (I love the Beatles but c'mon, they were a fluff band lol)
    I agree that most of the songs on the radio today is crap, but most of it was crap back then too. We just tend to focus on all the hits that popped up in between the crap.
    If you listen to indie bands from todays generation, a lot are very very good and some are my favourite bands.
    I'm sure it was the same with previous generations.

I do listen to indie music (it's the major genre I happen to listen to), but I happen to also listen to a lot of that stuff you are calling garbage and "fluff". Most of it is not fluff if you actually pay attention to it. That's what drew me to a lot of indie groups in the first place. It wasn't just the sound, it was the content. A song is like any other form of art; it's supposed to do more than just make you feel good. If it makes you think (even a little bit), then it's doing its job.

Also, clearly you need to go back and listen to some of The Beatles' later stuff (post 65). Not fluff. A lot of interesting stuff going on in there musically and lyrically. Which is why we still talk about them as a group today and people remember them. They started out as poppy fluff and evolved. That's what good artists do. :)

P.S. I am a millennial and I love one hit wonders, fluff or not. :D
    All my friends couldn't wait to get their driver's license on their 16th birthday, I know several Millennials who are in their 20s and can't drive.

Millennials also have the worst handwriting. My handwriting is terrible compared to most people of my generation, but most Millennials grew up writing everything on a screen and have handwriting like mine before I started grade school. And some can't even read handwriting - one of the things I do as a hobby is transcribe historical documents for NARA, and some of the young people I have encountered are shocked that I can read perfectly legible cursive handwriting, they have never learned.

I'm 32 (nearly 33) and I didn't obtain a driver's license until I was 20. I just had no inclination to learn to drive because where I lived (which was rural, mind you) everything was still completely walkable (for me). Didn't seem like there was much incentive to learn, especially since I couldn't afford a vehicle, had three jobs and was going to school full time (which I was paying for, in part).

I believe I only know one person that waited until after she hit 30 to learn to drive.. and that was because it was a necessity. Everyone else knew how to and/or had cars before they even hit college.

i was in my early 30's when i got my licence. i didn't really need it where i lived but after getting my licence i sure knew how my mom felt driving us all over. it is a pain having others depend on you for a ride everywhere. my mom was the only one who could drive legally. so we all depended on her.

I only got mine because my dad kept giving me *kitten* about it and I honestly got tired of listening to him go on about it.
    All my friends couldn't wait to get their driver's license on their 16th birthday, I know several Millennials who are in their 20s and can't drive.

Millennials also have the worst handwriting. My handwriting is terrible compared to most people of my generation, but most Millennials grew up writing everything on a screen and have handwriting like mine before I started grade school. And some can't even read handwriting - one of the things I do as a hobby is transcribe historical documents for NARA, and some of the young people I have encountered are shocked that I can read perfectly legible cursive handwriting, they have never learned.

I'm 32 (nearly 33) and I didn't obtain a driver's license until I was 20. I just had no inclination to learn to drive because where I lived (which was rural, mind you) everything was still completely walkable (for me). Didn't seem like there was much incentive to learn, especially since I couldn't afford a vehicle, had three jobs and was going to school full time (which I was paying for, in part).

I believe I only know one person that waited until after she hit 30 to learn to drive.. and that was because it was a necessity. Everyone else knew how to and/or had cars before they even hit college.

So living rural you walked to 3 jobs and school?! (Not being facetious, that just seems pretty incredible.)

If so, then good for you. Not only time consuming, but great exercise. If mom or dad was your taxi service, then getting the driver's license would have been helpful to them even if you were borrowing the family car.

Yes. And yes, it was time consuming, but.. I didn't have a vehicle and those I knew who did I did not feel comfortable asking constantly for a ride when they had their own jobs/school to worry about.

To be fair, two of the jobs were on campus so only 10 or so minutes from my place at the time. Last job was a bit of a stretch and yep, grocery shopping was a pain. Had to be done in really small intervals or I had to wait until 3AM when my flatmate would go shopping, lol.

My folks lived about 1 hour and 4 hours away (divorced) and worked swing shifts, so no dice there most of the time even though they offered help plenty of times with a weekend grocery shopping trip here or there when they came to visit me. Otherwise, I just managed on my own.

I do really miss the exercise from all that walking.

That really is inspiring for a young person to take all that on. I'm sure it taught you a lot about responsibility and self-sufficiency. Good lessons for any age!

I guess, but I attribute most of what I learned when I was younger to having parents who instilled those values (they themselves are of the baby boomer generation) in me. I just did what I had to because it needed to be done.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a musical family so my appreciation is very, VERY broad and eclectic. I don't have generational constraints and take music at face value for how it appeals to me. There are genres that do absolutely nothing for me because of crass, negative, or derogative language, or just presented in a way I can't understand.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    ...so we can forget about how hard it is to get a job with our degrees that cost us 40k+

It will be better now, and much more so in the long run than without it.

One thing is, millennials are much more about immediate satisfaction than my generations. They also do not understand critical thinking as well because of the dominance and reliance on knowledge bases like Google which lack depth of learning.

Worthless degrees are putting millennials in debt. There has been a big push for people going to college and getting a degree that they then can not apply in the workforce. Liberal arts degree for one. Beyond that, far too many are getting master's degrees when they don't need to.

I’ve done quite well with my “worthless” liberal arts degree.

I also haven’t used cursive since I had to learn it in 4th grade other than for signatures.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    ...so we can forget about how hard it is to get a job with our degrees that cost us 40k+

It will be better now, and much more so in the long run than without it.

One thing is, millennials are much more about immediate satisfaction than my generations. They also do not understand critical thinking as well because of the dominance and reliance on knowledge bases like Google which lack depth of learning.

Worthless degrees are putting millennials in debt. There has been a big push for people going to college and getting a degree that they then can not apply in the workforce. Liberal arts degree for one. Beyond that, far too many are getting master's degrees when they don't need to.

I’ve done quite well with my “worthless” liberal arts degree.

I also haven’t used cursive since I had to learn it in 4th grade other than for signatures.

Millennial here who can only use cursive D: it's so much faster to write I feel like the odd millennial out
  • Timshel_
    Options
    I'm a Gen Xer, I guess. I say I guess because I never bothered to find out until a few minutes ago which decades slotted where. Rather than tell you ways in which my generation was better or worse, I'll share some things that have worked and lessons that I picked up. *puts on grandpa underpants*

First, many of you may have no idea how you will provide for yourselves, never mind how to start and care for a family. This is normal. I remember deep fear about having skills that anyone would want to pay me money in return for providing, never mind a large sum. The factory worker/nuclear family idea died or was dying before I came along. While we can lament it's death, the reality is that many of us didn't want that life anyway, working the same low skilled job for decades, maybe eventually working into management of that same position. I find it is better to accept that change, voluminous and rapid change, is not just a path to earning potential, but to human happiness. It keeps our brains entertained finding new ways to solve problems.

Does the world need ditch diggers? You bet. Does the world owe you happiness in return for digging? Nope. A living wage? Nope, and unless you are a particularly skilled negotiator, you likely won't get it. After all, almost every human can do that job...labor force is large, economics says great supply makes prices drop. You're selling what everyone else is...so don't be surprised at the race to the bottom. Is that fair? Doesn't matter. Reality doesn't care about fair. Legislation really only affects edge cases - let's say $15/hr minimum wage becomes law. I might even agree that it should. What does that do *for you* and your happiness? Probably not much, at least long term. Want to be more than an edge case? Embrace that you will have to adapt, to change, to constantly sharpen, educate and build yourself, and that it may take many years to be rewarded. You are competing with all other humans, and challenging economics problems in many areas with housing and wages. That is your reality, just as it is mine. Accept it for what it is and find ways to adapt and find happiness.

I sucked at school. I was highly undisciplined, and found little of interest there. I wanted/wished for the accolades of success there, but did near nothing to attain it. I became far happier after I left school (as a college dropout). It allowed me to swallow knowledge at my rate (far faster than school) without constraint when I found something I loved. I worked menial or unrewarding jobs on the way up. I was a janitor, a computer salesman, a computer technician, a staffing agent. I moonlighted to supplement my income. I dug those ditches well when it was what I was doing. Our little family turned from one to two children in those years (eventually to four). We lived in tiny apartments, and then a tiny house. Over the first five years or so I built skills, and more importantly I showed up reliably, on time and ready to work. Once in awhile I got recognized as an outstanding employee. Sometimes I wasn't that great, but I learned from failing. You can make a life without an advanced education. It's harder, but possible. I don't know anyone who is a truly hard worker and bent on self improvement that hasn't. I've known a few that took awhile longer, but they all arrived. I know many that only paid the idea lip service that never busted through. The world is full of that. The world doesn't need you in their numbers.

My wife and I didn't always have a lot, but we made it work. We did without, or we took on the smallest debt we could to satisfy a need. We bought used cars - usually 8-10 years old, always fuel efficient. There's better things to spend money on than gas. We still buy used, usually 3-4 years old. It takes 30 minutes of reading to be able to almost always identify a decent used car. Learn how to do that. I've bought one bad car, and I was because I didn't do my homework first. It caught fire...oops. We live in a modest house. We could afford much, much more expensive. I have better things to spend on, including helping other humans.

Debt is a claim on your future labor. That's what debt is, in the end - the hours you work to remove it. Think about that. Interest is a cousin to debt. Both need to be understood. When they are truly understood, behavior is modified to avoid them (debt or owing of high interest) or earn them (gains from compounding interest).

I'm fortunate to have arrived at a great place. There's been plenty of good fortune that helped me, and people I owe for helping me...but I also intended to come here, even though I didn't know how. The fear I felt as a teen has been replaced with the assurance that all of the old things that previous generations grinch about still apply. Hard work, especially over time, matters. Ethics still matter. Doing the right things for the right reasons still matters. I am still planning, sharpening, learning. I have to. I'm a human. I'm headed back to school this fall? Why? Because I might need that degree. It may give me some edge at a future job, even if it looks like I've arrived. In my opinion you must always push forward, even if it looks like you shouldn't have to anymore. Be grateful for what you have, even if it's little.

New generations have a lot to offer, too. Diversity? That makes me better, and makes the world better. Inclusion? Yep, that too. Not being a workaholic? Yes. Conserving resources? Absolutely. Working smarter instead of harder. There's balance that's needed. Take the best ideals of all the generations and you'll likely come out just fine.

You don't have to become a YouTube star. You don't have to invent Thing X. You just have to be you. The good you, maybe even the little bit great you, and likely over many years...but you. You are enough, but only if you go and do, improve, get better, stretch and push.

#grandpapants

And I thought you was just a pretty pair of powder blue polyester slacks.
    Well said man.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    My parents are Baby Boomers, and I respect them and love them dearly, but you really can't name anything that the Baby Boomer generation touched that didn't get completely ruined or significantly degraded on their watch. And they aren't finished yet...
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    My parents are Baby Boomers, and I respect them and love them dearly, but you really can't name anything that the Baby Boomer generation touched that didn't get completely ruined or significantly degraded on their watch. And they aren't finished yet...

Interesting. I think they are happy they lived through the Cold War, fought Communism, championed the fight against racism and sexism, created EDM, artificial hearts and tons of medical breakthroughs, and created the the technology and the Internet so people have a platform to knock them.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options

Interesting. I think they are happy they lived through the Cold War, fought Communism, championed the fight against racism and sexism, created EDM, artificial hearts and tons of medical breakthroughs, and created the the technology and the Internet so people have a platform to knock them.

Yeah for fighting Communism, boo for the political correctness (PC is 100% a Baby Boomer infliction) imposed upon our military that degraded our capabilities significantly throughout the 1980s and into the 90s and cost a lot of lives (the Lebanon barracks bombing and Blackhawk Down come immediately to mind).

Yeah for good intentions on racism, boo on a racist welfare system that essentially destroyed the institution of marriage and 2 parent households, thereby ensuring generational dependence on the government.

Yeah for fighting sexism, boo on the popularity of divorce and death of the stay at home mom / one income families and the negative effect on kids (from a former latchkey kid)

The medical technology breakthroughs were great, the fracturing of the health care system and the monopoly of big pharma, not so much.

The internet was created by the WWII generation by the DoD in the 1960s (sorry, Al Gore)- I give Boomers credit for developing and advancing it.
  • Timshel_
    Options

Yeah for fighting Communism, boo for the political correctness (PC is 100% a Baby Boomer infliction) imposed upon our military that degraded our capabilities significantly throughout the 1980s and into the 90s and cost a lot of lives (the Lebanon barracks bombing and Blackhawk Down come immediately to mind).

Yeah for good intentions on racism, boo on a racist welfare system that essentially destroyed the institution of marriage and 2 parent households, thereby ensuring generational dependence on the government.

Yeah for fighting sexism, boo on the popularity of divorce and death of the stay at home mom / one income families and the negative effect on kids (from a former latchkey kid)

The medical technology breakthroughs were great, the fracturing of the health care system and the monopoly of big pharma, not so much.

The internet was created by the WWII generation by the DoD in the 1960s (sorry, Al Gore)- I give Boomers credit for developing and advancing it.

Thanks for your correlations, and your political rhetoric and agenda.
  • fatal_degree
    fatal_degree Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    csbnga wrote: »
    I think people are mostly the same regardless of generation. Superficial things change and every generation likes to think the ones younger than them suck.

Yup.
    Different circumstantial experiences exist, but on average...yup.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options

Thanks for your correlations, and your political rhetoric and agenda.

Points and counterpoints - "I don't like your counterpoints so I will just dismiss them as political rhetoric/agenda fodder and call it a day", got it.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Manbuns & Tide Pods vs Mullet & Pop rocks with coke,lol.