You don't use a food scale?

Replies

• ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    ata1anta wrote: »
    But does anyone carry a personal scale? I have a gram scale that I use for measuring spices and coffee at home that I could stick in my pocket.
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Why would we need to "carry" a personal scale? Does people take scales to restaurants and/or friends and family gatherings?
    Some do. I don't. Personal preference.

I have heard of people doing it and I was curious if there was anyone here who did and what their experience was. When I was in JC, they told us to do so many things - one of them was to carry a scale and weigh our portions at restaurants. (they also said that you could take your own food to a restaurant and have them heat it for you :neutral: I thought that was the most insane)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    We have many new members who have been around for about three weeks now. And there are lots of posts saying "I've been doing this for three weeks and haven't lost any weight!" Many responses to those threads tell the member to use a food scale. This video illustrates why a food scale is such a powerful tool for most people's weight loss. (Although I wish it used peanut butter instead of oatmeal. ;) )

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk

If anyone has any other infographics or videos that are pro-food scale, add 'em!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Bump
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Bumpity bump bump
  • valkc1953
    valkc1953 Posts: 32 Member
    All I have to say is....scary!!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    valkc1953 wrote: »

Why is it scary? Knowledge is power!
  • quiksylver296
    valkc1953 wrote: »

Scary how? As in you were wildly underestimating?
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Even when I'm not tracking as strictly as I should (pure laziness), I still take the time to weigh out all my foods at home. Whether I'm logging them or not. It's just a habit I've created and plan on sticking to long after I'm done here.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    A food scale has been a LIFE SAVER for me! Can't live without it. If I don't use a food scale my "one serving" of mayo on my sandwich suddenly goes to 5. LOL! ♥

I love ALL THE MAYO too!
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Interesting post
  • Ingekp1
    Ingekp1 Posts: 51 Member
    No.
  • jenjens86
    jenjens86 Posts: 48 Member
    I weigh everything i eat at home...if i eat out which isnt often i dont weigh anything but dont go too mad anyway. Ive learned from experience that even when i thought i was doing a good job eyeballing after weighing for a while the serving slowly got a bit bigger so now its weighing everything for me...food scales for food rather than cups and a jug for ml for liquids :)
  • quiksylver296
    I've started here - again. I've bought a food scale because I don't know portion sizes. I have no idea what a realistic portion of potatoes, lentils etc etc looks like. So this time I'm going to try weighing everything not just doing it by eye or cups, my eyes obviously don't work and my cups are breakfast cups instead of espresso cups :smiley:

Cool! Come back and let us know what you learn!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Lindz2H wrote: »
    Yesterday was the LAST "day one" for me, I started backlogging foods I had eaten over the weekend as a sort of practice. A ) I was horrified by how many calories I passively ate. B ) I quickly realized that in order to get the most accurate log and diet I needed a food scale. I picked one up from my local Walmart on my way home from work (may not be perfect but its better than nothing). Cooking dinner was like an event with all the measuring and such, but I'm really glad I did. I feel much more in control of what I'm putting into my body and feel super confident in my logging.

Cooking can be really daunting when you first start weighing your food, but as with anything, it will get easier/faster with practice. Also, if you use the recipe builder or "save meal" option on your log, the next time you go to make that particular dish, all the info will be there and you'll just need to tweak the numbers. :)
  • quiksylver296
    Bump