Wow... That had how many calories?!!?

Options

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    A fried pie at my favorite fried chicken place. 2 pies in one order. About 1700 calories! Are you kidding?!?!?!
    Should have looked it up on another site. It really could be a misprint, couldn't it?
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I can't believe the calories in salads either! I used to think salads were always a healthy alternative, but that just isn't the case. Most of the time it seems lower calorie to just order the cheeseburger!

It's not the salad...it's drowning it in dressing. Also, "healthy" and calories are two different things. There are many amazing, healthful foods that are also calorie dense...there are also any number of foods that provide very little actual nutrition that aren't...

calories and healthy are two different things.

But.... I am shocked how ignorant people are about all those "healthy" ingredients put on a salad(nuts, beans etc....) without even the dressing can add up sky high!!! Just cause its healthy, organic or a whole food does not mean its CALORIE FREE!!! You still got to count it!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    One itty bitty Cadbury creme egg... 170 cal

Best regret I've tasted in a while. Haha

Broke my heart and thats after I ate it :'(
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    440 calories in a hazelnut snickers. I thought it was 220 and I had only eaten 1/4 of it when I realized it was 110 calories I ate vs 55 calories. I was thinking man am I glad I didn't eat it all because I'd have gone over my daily allowance lol. If it seems weird that I was surprised it's because I don't eat much candy or like it very much. I just love hazelnut so I decided to try it on a whim.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options

I've been logging them as 150 calories, which is what I've found when I look it up online. Not that that's a lot better, but a little!! I try to half them with my husband, but sometimes I just eat the whole darn thing. Yum!
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Beer. 24 a day and I'm *way* over my quota :(
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options

I've been logging them as 150 calories, which is what I've found when I look it up online. Not that that's a lot better, but a little!! I try to half them with my husband, but sometimes I just eat the whole darn thing. Yum!

Thank God they go away for a while! That's all I can say!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    440 calories in a hazelnut snickers. I thought it was 220 and I had only eaten 1/4 of it when I realized it was 110 calories I ate vs 55 calories. I was thinking man am I glad I didn't eat it all because I'd have gone over my daily allowance lol. If it seems weird that I was surprised it's because I don't eat much candy or like it very much. I just love hazelnut so I decided to try it on a whim.

That doesn't sound right...
  • lightenup2016
    Options

Thank God they go away for a while! That's all I can say!

Right?!? I'd be in big trouble with Cadbury eggs available 24/7!
  • kerrimiller2018
    kerrimiller2018 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Vietnamese cold noodle salad. I had no idea vermicelli had so many calories and all of the ingredients in the salad seemed so healthy :/
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Vietnamese cold noodle salad. I had no idea vermicelli had so many calories and all of the ingredients in the salad seemed so healthy :/

This is a case where zoodles (zucchini noodles) or even cucumber noodles can come to the rescue. Still gotta watch out for the peanut sauce and red pepper oil.

My problem as a diabetic is carbs rather than calories - I can work out more or eat less at another meal to manage a high calorie indulgence, but my blood glucose only lets me eat so many carbs at a time. Used to love Karo Pecan pie, it's just sorrowful how many grams of carbs are in even a small slice! And that's without whipped cream and ice cream on the side like I used to have it. Ah, well!
  • lightenup2016
    Options
    Selendraco wrote: »
    Tortilla's are the same amount as bread slices.
    I mean WHAT?
    How?
    They're thinner!
    LoL

tortillas...sigh...just add butter and it's a mini calorie bomb that doesn't do anything to fill me up. It just makes me want another!!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    Made indonesian peanut sauce from scratch and ended up with just over 700kcal/100gr. Ouch!

What the.... how? Recipe?

Odd... I just looked on the computer now instead of my phone, and it's 'just' 650kcal/100gr. Still massive.

I used a recipe from Sri Owen's Indonesian Food

I could not find normal peanuts but only roasted in oil. The sauce needed some oil for cooking as well, the shrimp paste I have is also very fatty. Bit of onion, chili, garlic and spices don't really get the calories down. But it's soooo good. Ok, there's a fair amount of water in it, but just the ingredients in 'my meals' for this pot of deliciousness come down to this impressive amount per 100gr. I use 1/4 three times for nasi goreng, and 1/8 twice for an Indonesian omelette. Thus it's not too bad overall.