Wow... That had how many calories?!!?

Options

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Bought an energy drink from the gym fridge the other...400 cals later for the 500ml (maltodextrin laden)...Way hey!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Vietnamese cold noodle salad. I had no idea vermicelli had so many calories and all of the ingredients in the salad seemed so healthy :/

Spring rolls too! Just veggies, nothing fried... like 450 calories for 2!

No way. Not gonna happen. Each rice wrap is only 30cal max. I make them all the time and pack a LOT of veggies in there with shrimp and never over 50cal each.

post recipe and tech please!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Restaurant food in general amazes me.
    Someone pointed me at the Chili's menu. I went to look (and admittedly did not eat.) It was full of doozies, like the Crispy Honey-Chipotle Chicken Crispers - 1700 calories, including more than 14 teaspoons of sugar.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Mind blown by the 500 calories in a honey dew melon — now it’s a honey don’t melon!

You don't really need to eat nearly 3 pounds of melon in one sitting. Melons are actually quite reasonable in calories, they were one of my good surprises when I started counting calories.

Agree, melon is about 36 cals per hundred gram, I eat it by the big bowl, are you using the correct database entry?
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Cheeeeese - why you have so many calories!?? I’m a mozzarella fan - however - it’s severely limited mozzarella now.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    @psychod787 - The soft rice wrappers run 30-45 calories each and are super easy to work with if you want to stuff them yourself. If you fill them with greens instead of vermicelli noodles, you may be happier with the nutritional breakdown. Banh Trang is the brand at my grocery store.
    https://www.fitbit.com/foods/Spring+Roll+Wrapper/692014726
  • ginaxx118
    ginaxx118 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don’t laugh, but actually McDonald’s. I expected it to be bad for me, but not THAT bad! Just remembered why I don’t eat this crap! 1100 calories for a medium fry and chicken 😳😳
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I so miss Honeydew melon and cantaloupe. Diabetic so they are off my menu but gawd they are wonderful tasting. And not high in calories either from what I remember. Shoot the BS numbers into the stratosphere. For me it was the Starbuck drinks, so the fraps and lattes are gone from my diet.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I can't believe the calories in salads either! I used to think salads were always a healthy alternative, but that just isn't the case. Most of the time it seems lower calorie to just order the cheeseburger!

It's not the salad...it's drowning it in dressing. Also, "healthy" and calories are two different things. There are many amazing, healthful foods that are also calorie dense...there are also any number of foods that provide very little actual nutrition that aren't...

calories and healthy are two different things.

^^^^^ Yep! Nuts with dried fruit vs. Sugarfree products (jello & pudding specifically).
  • VUA21
    Options
    mk2fit wrote: »
    Yep, salad dressings are evil in disguise. Make your own or use just enough to get the lettuce wet. No cheese, no croutons, but ok to add turkey or other proteins.

Cereal (carbs) can be treacherous. Be careful and watchful. I usually eat scrambled eggs for breakfast, toss in a bit of feta and a couple of handfuls of spinach.

Be careful eating out. If you are losing, order and get a to go box, put 1/2 of your meal in it and eat the rest.

Walk, walk, walk. I know, sounds trite, but it works.

Walden Farms make 0 calorie dressing.

Carbs aren't bad for you, it's all about calories - and that most people put all kinds of high calorie stuff on carbs (cheese, mayo, sour cream).
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I got a bottle of Clearly Canadian Blackberry water and after I drank it noticed it had 80 calories. When my husband and I went to meet with the Registered Dietician, she gave us a handbook of the calories for a lot of Fast and Semi-fast food restaurants. It was eye opening and even things that sounded like they might be healthy had sky high calories, fat and sodium. I've never been much of a FF eater, but at least once a week, I meet a friend for lunch at Ruby Tuesdays. I limit myself to the Garden Bar (and skip all the high calorie items) and plain grilled chicken breast (4oz) I realized before I did my lifestyle change, I was eating a day's worth of calories just at lunch.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Salad dressings are ridiculous, but have discovered some decent low-cal ones. OPA yogurt feta-dill is very good at 40 cals per 2 tbsp. I try to only use one, but sometimes you just need two if the salad is big.

Lower-fat potato chips. The Ruffles 65% less fat chips are still 120 cals for 11 chips. I might as well go for the real deal - Kettle Chips 140 cals for 13 chips.

@VUA21 - how can there be a zero calorie dressing? What's it made from - water mixed with water? All foods have calories.
  • VUA21
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Salad dressings are ridiculous, but have discovered some decent low-cal ones. OPA yogurt feta-dill is very good at 40 cals per 2 tbsp. I try to only use one, but sometimes you just need two if the salad is big.

Lower-fat potato chips. The Ruffles 65% less fat chips are still 120 cals for 11 chips. I might as well go for the real deal - Kettle Chips 140 cals for 13 chips.

@VUA21 - how can there be a zero calorie dressing? What's it made from - water mixed with water? All foods have calories.

I have absolutely no idea what kind of voodoo is going on with Walden Farms, but yes, they make zero Calorie salad dressings! I still at 5 Cal to my diary in case one serving is simply rounded to 0, yet has .4 calories or something.
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    FireVixen_Fayth Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I gotta say any resturant food. I especially hate it when places don't have nutritional information. And the fact that when they do, they don't show you options without bread is this much etc..
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,621 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Anything with zero calories I would look at very suspiciously to determine the 0 Cal portion size.

If it is 0 or 1 Cal for the quantity I would use (I see you zero Cal diet pop), then all is good.

If it is 0 Cal per 0.25g when i would normally use 20g, then I would look very very carefully, because 5.4 Cal per 0.25g can be written out as 0 Cal on the label... (And frankly even if it is pure science fiction...when was the last class action about understated calories, and what is the potential financial gain as long as you could come close enough to claim manufacturing variance or at the very least mount some sort of defence?)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    It was a surprise to me that the single glazed donut that I ate recently as a 'treat" was rated at about 300 calories.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Restaurant meals are a problem for me too. Lots of hidden fat, sugar, designed to make food taste better. Huge portion sizes are also problematic. I do much better in meeting my goals when I eat mostly home cooked meals. One issue is that my family members love buffets, burger joints, and BBQ--very difficult to control your calories there. I have started skipping meals out and let them go without me most of the time.
  • VUA21
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »

I have absolutely no idea what kind of voodoo is going on with Walden Farms, but yes, they make zero Calorie salad dressings! I still at 5 Cal to my diary in case one serving is simply rounded to 0, yet has .4 calories or something.

Don't do it. They taste like sadness and death. Even being self-congratulatory on your restraint cannot surmount this. :D

I actually like the bacon ranch flavor as a marinade for my tomato and cucumber salad. They also have a cilantro vinaigrette that I enjoy.