February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ If I drank two glasses of water before a long run, I would need to pee about thirty minutes in! How does everyone handle this? Most places I run are way too public to pop a squat behind a bush, but have no toilet facilities or only one at the trail head.
    @rheddmobile I don't know how long it takes my kidneys to process half a litre of water, but I guess long enough that the water stays in my system long enough to be used as hydration for running. I usually don't have toilets around where I run. The only 1 or 2 times last year I needed a toilet/bush was non drinking-related. (TMI, Sorry ^^).

---

@iofred out of curiosity: what is the Cavemen special?

@polskagirl01 Running with an anti smog mask can't be fun. I bought one a couple of years ago when I was in Beijing for a week during heavy smog, and I found it hard to breath through it already when I was climbing more than a handful of stairs! Sorry that you need one where you live.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    February goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 140? I really don't know. Real plan is to follow training and coach's advice well.

2/1- REST
    2/2- 5.5
    2/3- 16.6
    2/4- 4.2
    2/5- REST

Total: 26.3

Today's notes: Gone a couple days and 95 new posts. eek. Weekend was good. Saturday's run was more of a slow slog since we were staying together as a group, but it was a good course preview. As penance for a slow Saturday, I made myself go to the ridge yesterday and do my run up and down. I was slow, but managed sub-15 pace, so not too bad I guess.

Have a Runderful day!

roughly what my "run" on Saturday was: https://www.strava.com/segments/6927271 we didn't quite follow the route, since it wasn't marked, there was some guessing.

2018 races
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50 (coach brought up this one)
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ If I drank two glasses of water before a long run, I would need to pee about thirty minutes in! How does everyone handle this? Most places I run are way too public to pop a squat behind a bush, but have no toilet facilities or only one at the trail head.
    @rheddmobile I don't know how long it takes my kidneys to process half a litre of water, but I guess long enough that the water stays in my system long enough to be used as hydration for running. I usually don't have toilets around where I run. The only 1 or 2 times last year I needed a toilet/bush was non drinking-related. (TMI, Sorry ^^).

Yeah, I make effort to completely empty my bladder before heading out. As long as I do that I seem to burn through the water I drink faster than I can drink it. During a summer run I will drink 20-30 oz of water an hour, and still, lose several pounds of water weight. Enough that on longer runs I have to tighten my belt more than once. During the winter I drink a lot less and still lose weight so the body is burning through the water it has instead of directing it to the kidneys I guess.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @Starflight00 Yes, $75 sounds right for a VO2 Max test.
  • kat_ontherun
    kat_ontherun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent thanks for the advice and book recommendation - I will definitely check that out!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    February 3 – 13.1 miles
    February 4 – 6 miles
    February 5 – 5 miles

@juliet3455 – Congrats on going and placing in your AG at the Chilly Willy event (love that name)! Cute cartoons!
    @amymoreorless and @KeepRunning… – Hope you feel better soon
    @Ryokat – We had freezing rain yesterday also and I too had to resort to the treadmill. I kept myself occupied by watching shows on my iPad.
    @polskagirl01 -love your willpower with the chocolate!

Today was supposed to be track work but the girl who is training for a PR at Myrtle Beach didn’t run this morning so we ditched the track! I’m not a fan of running in circles on that thing. Maybe if I saw some improvement, I would be motivated but that’s not been the case.

Upcoming Races:
    February 24-25 – Gasparilla Amber Challenge (15K & 5K on Saturday; Half Marathon on Sunday)
    May 6 – Pittsburgh Half Marathon
    exercise.png
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Link2Life wrote: »
    February
    Goal: 35 miles
    Completed: 3 miles

02/02/2018: C25K - Week 5 Day 1
    02/05/2018: C25K - Week 5 Day 2

I remember week 5 from my prior attempts. I'd get to day 2 and barely finish and then give up before day 3. Nope. Not this year. Not again. I got this! (Day 2 is 8 minute run - 3 minute walk - 8 minute run surrounded by 5 minute walking warmup/cooldown). Day 3 will be a 20 minute run - no walking. I turned 45 today and I repeat to myself "I am strong!".

Yep! I just finished it in October - that first 20 minute run is a real mind game. Do it once and you can do anything! But the program is designed so that you are ready to do more than you think you can. You got this!
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @Link2Life - Happy Birthday!

I stayed up way too late last night watching the Super Bowl, then dropped youth from the church Super Bowl party. Late night getting home that resulted in me snoozing through the alarm this morning. I iwll probably turn today into a rest day and run on Wednesday instead, my child has a plant cell project due this week that we will be working on.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know if any of you Strava users use the Premium. If so, do you think it is worth the money? I didn't sign up for premium when I first started using Strava because my Fitbit did not have a heart rate monitor, but now that I have one I have been thinking about it. Plus, they keep sending me emails offering a free month trial. I just wondered if there was any actual benefit for the premium over the free version.