February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I'm curious to know if any of you Strava users use the Premium. If so, do you think it is worth the money? I didn't sign up for premium when I first started using Strava because my Fitbit did not have a heart rate monitor, but now that I have one I have been thinking about it. Plus, they keep sending me emails offering a free month trial. I just wondered if there was any actual benefit for the premium over the free version.

I do, but only by mistake :) I got a code from somewhere for 3 months free and used it. Then forgot to cancel, so now I have it for a year. :)

Is it worth it? Depends if you want to use the features that you do not have. I really do not. I use it mostly just to take part in the club for this thread. If I was not in this thread, I probably would not have a Strava account. So for me, it probably is not.

If I was doing heart rate training, it might be useful. I am sure there are other reports/etc that may be useful to people that are more serious than I.

There is also the thought that if you use the app all the time, you should probably pay to support it if you can.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I kept up on the post this weekend but it was on my phone so replies and comments are difficult.

I skipped two run last week due to being sick. I don't think it's the flu, just a bad cold. Saturday I could have run but I had to replace our water heater first. Once I got into it I decided to redo more of the water lines than I originally planned on so I had to go back to the home improvement store for more parts and pieces. I finally finished the job up around 7pm. I then had a decision to make. Either go for a run or take my wife out for her birthday. Not a tough decision there, we went out for apps and drinks, with a promise to take her out proper for her birthday this weekend. She was just happy to get hot water again.

Yesterday I had a wonderful 10 mile trail run with Kody. The cold weather went a long way to clear out my sinuses. The temp was -2F/-19C with a windchill of -22F/-30C but being in the woods the wind chill wasn't quite that bad. Being sick affected my pace quite a bit. Between that and trying to take it easy on my ITB I ended up walk about a third of my miles. My ITB made itself known around the 4 mile mark. It never really hurt to bad and since it was at the pain level my doc said I could run through, I kept running. I thought about adding another 2 mile loop but decided to play it conservative and end at the planned 10. My ITB ended up hurting enough later in the day that I iced it once and it's a bit sore today.

I did sign up for a February 24th race which has been on my list, the Psycho Wyco. Offering 10M, 20M, and 50K I had wanted to run the 50K but I know that's out of the question. I signed up for the 20M and hopefully I can complete it. I'd skip it completely but it's near KU where my daughter goes and this will be the last chance I get to visit her before graduation.

It was cold enough even Kody got an ice beard!

1nlxra15trcf.jpg

yfis7rzj1dsr.jpg

tl9z11gctljg.jpg

pc21spbk2rjk.jpg

These are fantastic! looks like a great time for both of you!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I kept up on the post this weekend but it was on my phone so replies and comments are difficult.

I skipped two run last week due to being sick. I don't think it's the flu, just a bad cold. Saturday I could have run but I had to replace our water heater first. Once I got into it I decided to redo more of the water lines than I originally planned on so I had to go back to the home improvement store for more parts and pieces. I finally finished the job up around 7pm. I then had a decision to make. Either go for a run or take my wife out for her birthday. Not a tough decision there, we went out for apps and drinks, with a promise to take her out proper for her birthday this weekend. She was just happy to get hot water again.

Yesterday I had a wonderful 10 mile trail run with Kody. The cold weather went a long way to clear out my sinuses. The temp was -2F/-19C with a windchill of -22F/-30C but being in the woods the wind chill wasn't quite that bad. Being sick affected my pace quite a bit. Between that and trying to take it easy on my ITB I ended up walk about a third of my miles. My ITB made itself known around the 4 mile mark. It never really hurt to bad and since it was at the pain level my doc said I could run through, I kept running. I thought about adding another 2 mile loop but decided to play it conservative and end at the planned 10. My ITB ended up hurting enough later in the day that I iced it once and it's a bit sore today.

I did sign up for a February 24th race which has been on my list, the Psycho Wyco. Offering 10M, 20M, and 50K I had wanted to run the 50K but I know that's out of the question. I signed up for the 20M and hopefully I can complete it. I'd skip it completely but it's near KU where my daughter goes and this will be the last chance I get to visit her before graduation.

1nlxra15trcf.jpg

yfis7rzj1dsr.jpg

tl9z11gctljg.jpg

pc21spbk2rjk.jpg

@7lenny7 What a cute puppy! That picture of the two of you with snow beards is too much cuteness.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I'm curious to know if any of you Strava users use the Premium. If so, do you think it is worth the money? I didn't sign up for premium when I first started using Strava because my Fitbit did not have a heart rate monitor, but now that I have one I have been thinking about it. Plus, they keep sending me emails offering a free month trial. I just wondered if there was any actual benefit for the premium over the free version.

I do, but only by mistake :) I got a code from somewhere for 3 months free and used it. Then forgot to cancel, so now I have it for a year. :)

Is it worth it? Depends if you want to use the features that you do not have. I really do not. I use it mostly just to take part in the club for this thread. If I was not in this thread, I probably would not have a Strava account. So for me, it probably is not.

If I was doing heart rate training, it might be useful. I am sure there are other reports/etc that may be useful to people that are more serious than I.

There is also the thought that if you use the app all the time, you should probably pay to support it if you can.

I'm not really sure if I need any of the extra features. I started using Strava because at the time I was using the fitbit app to track my runs and I had several times the app stopped unexpectedly and I lost my run. I'm not training by heart rate at the moment. I'm still trying to figure all of that stuff out and honestly I think it is a little over my head. I really just run by feel and look at my pace.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Joyous2018 wrote: »
    Hi everyone :) Starting out new.
    Goal: Three runs a week
    Day one: 30mins
    Day two: 45mins
    Day three: 60mins

Upcoming race: MEC trail run in April

@Joyous2018 Not sure how much previous running you have done but if you are just "Starting out new" you could be setting yourself up for a over use injury. Rough rule is +10% maximum. So doing 10% would give 30 mins W1, 33 W2, 36 W3 etc. Even that might be ambitious for some people. The idea is to let your body adjust to the new loads and stress you are submitting it to.

If you look at C25K or B210k programs they do a slow build of Run/Walk cycles.

Also what distance is the MEC Trail Run?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 it was a tough one, keeping the group together slowed things down, and so did the post holing in the snow. Great course preview though, since it was the only time I'll get to see the course before the race. Oddly, the Hills didn't bother me that much, since they were decently spaced.... That said, climbing each one 6 times is going to suck.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Looks like you two had a blast!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent sounds like an awesome trail! I don't see the mistake part of it.

I am SURE there are passable paths back there... will try again some day. :)

• Joyous2018
    Joyous2018 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Joyous2018 wrote: »
    Hi everyone :) Starting out new.
    Goal: Three runs a week
    Day one: 30mins
    Day two: 45mins
    Day three: 60mins

Upcoming race: MEC trail run in April

@Joyous2018 Not sure how much previous running you have done but if you are just "Starting out new" you could be setting yourself up for a over use injury. Rough rule is +10% maximum. So doing 10% would give 30 mins W1, 33 W2, 36 W3 etc. Even that might be ambitious for some people. The idea is to let your body adjust to the new loads and stress you are submitting it to.

If you look at C25K or B210k programs they do a slow build of Run/Walk cycles.

Also what distance is the MEC Trail Run?

@juliet3455 Thanks for the input:) I use to run regularly, I would say daily. I didn't really track my runs. You are probably right, I've been running very slowly..not sure if that's affects how much I should be running. I'll look into a walk/run program. The race is 5k, there are four in the series. There are longer distances, but I wanted to see how I did before signing up for the longer distances. Thank you again, I enjoy running but I'm starting to realize I don't really understand the Dos and Don'ts.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Oh my Orange Mud double barrel came today. I wore it for all ten miles and it is pretty comfortable - but since it was well below freezing, I had plenty of layers on. Not sure how it will do come spring/summer clothing - you know when I will actually need it.