• 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • Link2Life
    Link2Life Posts: 102 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Question for ya'll (I'm the newbie here doing C25K). I wear a Garmin VIvoactive HR watch which records my heart rate and have premium Endomondo so I can see the zones i'm in. During my 20 minute run yesterday, my HR was hovering around 160bpm peaking around 175bpm. I was breathing fast but i never felt out of breath and I could've kept going. My max HR per the old calculation is 175 but i've gone over that and still didn't feel like I was close to expiring. (ha). My resting HR has dropped from about 65 to 60 since January 1.

So..should I slow down even more (i'm only going 5.2-5.5mph ) or not really fuss too much over the higher heart rate during my runs?

I could hook up my strap monitor to see if there's a variation but I've found my watch to fairly accurate, surprisingly, unless the treadmill is interfering....

Here's the stats from my 20 minute run
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    02/01/2018 - 4.01 miles
    02/02/2018 - Rest Day
    02/03/2018 - 4.11 miles
    02/04/2018 - 2.01 miles
    02/05/2018 - Unplanned Rest Day
    02/06/2018 - Unplanned Rest Day/Rain
    02/07/2018 - Rest Day
    02/08/2018 - 3.02 miles

13.15/65 miles

Life and weather are happening and interfering with my run schedule. Today was first day out since Sunday afternoon. Cold and windy morning - temperatures in lower 40 F with feels like in upper 30 F. I was scheduled for 4 miles but woke up late and time only allowed 3 miles.

Life this week - daughter had to make a 3D model of a plant or animal cell, so we spent some of Monday and most of Tuesday night making a cake as her model. My son was running warm up mile at football yesterday during PE at school, another runner ran into him and now we are at the doctors office seeing if he has anything broken. Foot/ankle very swollen.

One of the races I was looking at in March I won’t be able to participate in. I had already purchased concert tickets the night before the race, so it is a no go.

I did catch up on the posts while at the doctors office.
    @skippygirlsmom - I have always wanted to participate in a Run for God group, but I always thought they were geared toward new runners who are training for a 5K.
    @PastorVincent - no elevation gain here in South Louisiana. Some races are actually at or below sea level. No hills or over passes close to my run route to have any elevation gain.

Upcoming races (Question marks are races not yet registered for):
    Louisiana Marathon Quarter Marathon - 01/13/2018 - Done
    Mardi Gras Mambo 10K -02/17/2018
    Q50 Races Sunset Gulf - 6.5 miles 3/24/2018
    BIG EASY BIG HEART 5K 7/21/2018 - ?
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Link2Life wrote: »
    Question for ya'll (I'm the newbie here doing C25K). I wear a Garmin VIvoactive HR watch which records my heart rate and have premium Endomondo so I can see the zones i'm in. During my 20 minute run yesterday, my HR was hovering around 160bpm peaking around 175bpm. I was breathing fast but i never felt out of breath and I could've kept going. My max HR per the old calculation is 175 but i've gone over that and still didn't feel like I was close to expiring. (ha). My resting HR has dropped from about 65 to 60 since January 1.

So..should I slow down even more (i'm only going 5.2-5.5mph ) or not really fuss too much over the higher heart rate during my runs?

I could hook up my strap monitor to see if there's a variation but I've found my watch to fairly accurate, surprisingly, unless the treadmill is interfering....

If you used the 220-age formula, I believe that's pretty much accepted as mostly useless. I believe it was a very general trend that was noticed by a couple of scientists in a study they were doing, but they never intended for it to be a benchmark for determining your max HR. A significant portion of the population falls above or below the number that formula spits out. For example, according to that mine would be 185 but I've definitely seen it hit 200, so either the formula is wrong or I'm dead, lol.

At your point I wouldn't worry about it too much, and would try to go more on perceived effort. You want a lot of your running effort to be at a conversational pace, where you could talk to someone or sing along to a song without dying.

As an example, from previous calculations I've done, using my estimated lactate threshold HR and resting HR, 160 puts me right around the top of my zone 2 (out of 5 zones).
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Link2Life wrote: »

@Link2Life the simplest way to tell if you're running the right pace for an easy run (which I think should be about 75 to 80 percent of your running) is the conversation test. You're at the right pace if you can speak complete sentences without gasping for breath. If you can only get out 3 or 4 words, you're going to fast. Alternately, and what I like to do, is sing while you run. It can be just quiet enough that only you can hear or you can serenade the entire block, but sing your favorite song using the same criteria.