Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @MobyCarp So a person could buy their way into Boston? That doesn't seem fair.

I'm thinking about saving up to go skiing/snowboarding. But that'll pass when the Olympics are over. I still have Big Sur half on my buck list. I gotta get better at walking first though :wink:

There are around 6000 slots reserved for charity runners. They need to be involved with one of the sponsoring charities, and I think they need to raise a minimum of $5000. So yes, if you have that kind of money to throw around on top of the entry fee and the hotel (not an issue for locals, I suppose), you could buy your way into Boston. But I think the vast majority of the charity runners really do the hard work of doing fund raising for a cause they believe in. In my case, raising $5K for charity would be harder than just running a BQ marathon to get in.

^^^^ this. Most big races reserve charity places, and they have pretty big targets to hit for those going in with one.

Not for me... I think it would be much easier to raise $5K than to run a BQ race in 3:02 or faster (technically 3:05, but we know they cut a few min. off when it comes down to sending out invites). I'm not saying either is actually easy, but by comparison it is actually possible to raise $5K and I don't think it is possible for me to run a marathon in that time.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I just went on a race buying spree... $375 later and I'm registered for 10 races. Oh and that includes $35 in additional donations.

7 trail races
    3 St Patrick's Day (one is a challenge with a 1k kilt run Fri/8k run Sat so not like 3 full races).

And there's another race in May I'd like to do but registration isn't open yet. Plus I want to do the Rock n Roll Vegas marathon but that's not open yet either.

what trail races?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I'm thinking about saving up to go skiing/snowboarding. But that'll pass when the Olympics are over. I still have Big Sur half on my buck list. I gotta get better at walking first though :wink:

There are around 6000 slots reserved for charity runners. They need to be involved with one of the sponsoring charities, and I think they need to raise a minimum of $5000. So yes, if you have that kind of money to throw around on top of the entry fee and the hotel (not an issue for locals, I suppose), you could buy your way into Boston. But I think the vast majority of the charity runners really do the hard work of doing fund raising for a cause they believe in. In my case, raising $5K for charity would be harder than just running a BQ marathon to get in.

^^^^ this. Most big races reserve charity places, and they have pretty big targets to hit for those going in with one.

Not for me... I think it would be much easier to raise $5K than to run a BQ race in 3:02 or faster (technically 3:05, but we know they cut a few min. off when it comes down to sending out invites). I'm not saying either is actually easy, but by comparison it is actually possible to raise $5K and I don't think it is possible for me to run a marathon in that time.

For me, the allure of running the Boston marathon had more to do with setting the difficult goal of a qualifying time and working my *kitten* off to achieve it. For achieving that goal, running the marathon was the reward. I agree that raising $5K for charity is also a difficult challenge. But I would be more likely to take that challenge on by raising the money for a local event like the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation Walk or something that is close to me. That kind of accomplishment would be its own reward. For me, I just don't associate the "reward" of running the race with the goal of raising the money.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Lol - *love*...is that an MFP Valentine's Day special?

How funny!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I just went on a race buying spree... $375 later and I'm registered for 10 races. Oh and that includes $35 in additional donations.

7 trail races
    3 St Patrick's Day (one is a challenge with a 1k kilt run Fri/8k run Sat so not like 3 full races).

And there's another race in May I'd like to do but registration isn't open yet. Plus I want to do the Rock n Roll Vegas marathon but that's not open yet either.

what trail races?

6 of them are a series called Cactus Flower Run Series. 3 in spring, 3 in fall. A 5k, 6k, and 7k at either White Tanks or Estrella Mountain parks.

The other is a new one called Hot as Hell in May. Its the same company and race as the one I did so badly at a few weeks ago. I signed up for the quarter knowing I'd never be able to do the same loop twice for the half.

I'm not to the high mile races like you and Jessica. I still have yet to do my marathon.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

I think both would be hard for me. I'll be lucky if I can finish a marathon in under 5 hours. I tried to raise money once for celiac disease in conjunction to a race I was doimg amd got one donation of $50 haha
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I think both would be hard for me. I'll be lucky if I can finish a marathon in under 5 hours. I tried to raise money once for celiac disease in conjunction to a race I was doimg amd got one donation of $50 haha

Both are presently out of my reach too, so I feel yah! :)