February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I forgot to mention this in my earlier update post. If you follow me on Strava or pay attention to my posts here, you know that I like to take my pooch for a warm up run when I run from home. She has gotten used to going with me to the point that when she hears my Garmin beep, she comes running, tail wagging. This morning I could not take her because I did not have time, trying to squeeze in my interval run. She was so eager to go and I just left her sitting at the door. I felt so bad. I felt even worse when I came home and my husband said that she sat by the door barking for 5 minutes after I left. I guess I may have to take her for a little spin this evening. The puppy guilt is real :o

My dogs don't run with me but the one will sit and stare at the door the entire time I'm gone.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Warning. Do not get a box of S'mores Girl Scout cookies. I just about knocked off an entire box this afternoon.

That's me and the Lemonades. I thought the S'mores were just ok. Didnt get any this year... only bought 7 boxes total
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Warning. Do not get a box of S'mores Girl Scout cookies. I just about knocked off an entire box this afternoon.

That's me and the Lemonades. I thought the S'mores were just ok. Didnt get any this year... only bought 7 boxes total

I bought one box of each kind. Big mistake. Big. Huge.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    But who know. My longest run to date has been 9.7 miles in 1 hour 54 minutes.

Don't forget that in a race, you will naturally go faster due to the adrenaline from all the excitement that race environments provide (crowd excitement, medals, other racers, wanting to do good officially, etc.). And if your like me, having people around you that are a little faster will drive you to want to go a little faster.

Also, you will have Gatorade at the water stops. The sugar in them counts as fuel, and might just be enough to carry you if you are close.

I would encourage you to test in training so you do not have surprises on race day. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    02/01/2018 - 7.2 MPH for 7.2 Miles @ 4% grade
    02/02/2018 - Shoe Shopping
    02/03/2018 - 17 miles @ 9:50
    02/04/2018 - Family trip to DQ instead
    02/05/2018 - 10 miles at 10:04 pace
    02/06/2018 - Meetings and such
    02/07/2018 - 7.5 MPH for 10 miles @ 4% grade
    02/08/2018 - Meetings
    02/09/2018 - 7.5 MPH for 10 miles @ 4% grade
    02/10/2018 - Shoe shopping - again
    02/11/2018 - 10 miles @ 9:01 pace
    02/12/2018 - 10 miles @ 9:33 pace
    02/13/2018 - 10 miles @ 9:22 pace
    02/14/2018 - Rest
    02/15/2018 - 7 miles @ 8:31 pace
    02/16/2018 - 7.5 MPH for 8 miles @ 4% grade
    02/17/2018 - Nada
    02/18/2018 - Car Show with son
    02/19/2018 - 11 miles @ 9:29
    02/20/2018 - 15 miles @ 9:45

Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

03/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle Half Marathon + 5k + 1mile
    04/07/18 - Achilles 9.3 Challange (10k and 5k back to back)
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

Don't forget that in a race, you will naturally go faster due to the adrenaline from all the excitement that race environments provide (crowd excitement, medals, other racers, wanting to do good officially, etc.). And if your like me, having people around you that are a little faster will drive you to want to go a little faster.

Also, you will have Gatorade at the water stops. The sugar in them counts as fuel, and might just be enough to carry you if you are close.

I would encourage you to test in training so you do not have surprises on race day. :)

I never thought of that. I often drink Gatorade after a run but maybe I should drink some during.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Girl Scout cookies are only sold in single serving packages. The serving size can be an issue for people trying to control their weight.

Truth.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options

I never thought of that. I often drink Gatorade after a run but maybe I should drink some during.

I get the Jelly Belly sport beans (with and without caffeine). It's good electrolytes and some sugar...if you can chew while running. I like Gatorade, too. Red G2 is my favorite!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Girl Scout cookies are only sold in single serving packages. The serving size can be an issue for people trying to control their weight.
    Indeed!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options

February Training:
    02.01.18 - 10 m. 8:53 pace
    02.03.18 - Run: 11.2 m. 8:28 pace; Bike Trainer: 88 minutes.
    02.04.18 - run 1 m. Bike Trainer: 60 min. Chest congestion
    02.05.18 - Run 1: 3 m @ 9:10 pace. Run 2: 7 m @ 8:45 pace.
    02.06.18 - Run 3.5 m.
    02.07.18 - Run 3.1 m.
    02.08.18 - Run 1: 3.1 m. Run 2: 8 m. @ 8:26 pace
    02.09.18 - Run 8 m. Hills @ 9:13 pace.
    02.10.18. - Run 6.3 Bike 1 hour
    02.11.18 - Run 9.6 miles (51.50 for the week) and Indoor Bike Trainer for 1 hour. (Ride 4 of month)
    02.13.18 - Run 10 m. @ 8:35 pace. Indoor Bike Trainer - 45 minutes.
    02.15.18 - Run 9.3 m. @ 8:45 pace.
    02.16.18 - Run 9 m. Bike 8 m. Swim 1/2 mile.
    02.17.18 - Run 6.2 m. Bike - 85 minutes.
    02.18.18 - Run 5.5 m. swim 15 laps
    02.19.18 - Run 6 m.
    02.20.18 - Run 9.3 m.

Upcoming Events:
    3.04.18 - Little Rock Marathon
    4.07.18 - Yakima River Marathon

February Goal:
    Run: 200 miles, Bike: 10 rides, Swim: Start Program
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I miss thin mints and samoas!!!!!!!!!! :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

If you were to maximize your calorie intake during a marathon you would need to take in THIRTY TO FORTY ounces of gatorade, PER hour, to get those calories.

That's more liquid than I would want to drink in an hour. Personally, I'd need something other than gatorade. Yes you certainly can (and should!) count those calories, but I need something with a higher calorie density.

Somewhere there's a study which actually tells you what the most efficient calorie density liquid would be for maximum carb uptake during running.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Once I found out that each Girl Scout pack only gets about 35 cents per box from the $3.50 cost, I quit buying them. Call me a curmudgeon but I have no trouble politely saying no to the little girls who ring my doorbell.

Aldi sells the exact same thin mints, samoas, and one or two other girl scout type cookie (in Aldi brand packaging) for $1.29. And they're available year round.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

If you were to maximize your calorie intake during a marathon you would need to take in THIRTY TO FORTY ounces of gatorade, PER hour, to get those calories.

That's more liquid than I would want to drink in an hour. Personally, I'd need something other than gatorade. Yes you certainly can (and should!) count those calories, but I need something with a higher calorie density.

Somewhere there's a study which actually tells you what the most efficient calorie density liquid would be for maximum carb uptake during running.

I caught something on tv (of course I can't remember the entirety of the show), that explored milk, water and a sports drink intake during cardio. The milk actually "won".

If I can find it, I'll share it. I can't imagine doing milk at all (not a milk drinker 20+years, dd's allergic to the protein). But those that drink it, may consider it as mid run fuel.

When I was a kid, we'd take a drink of milk, then red Kool aid to hock lugies that hung like stalactites from the ceiling in the apartment walk ways. Kids are so gross. :naughty:

ETA... Maybe it was something like this... http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/milk-outperforms-sports-drinks-20100908-150xr.html which is better at rehydration. Not fueling.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

She is talking about a half-marathon. It is definitely possible to run a half completely unfueled (I have), so Gatorade might be enough for her, or she might need more or less. Everyone's needs are different and that is why she needs to test. :)