Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    But who know. My longest run to date has been 9.7 miles in 1 hour 54 minutes.

Don't forget that in a race, you will naturally go faster due to the adrenaline from all the excitement that race environments provide (crowd excitement, medals, other racers, wanting to do good officially, etc.). And if your like me, having people around you that are a little faster will drive you to want to go a little faster.

Also, you will have Gatorade at the water stops. The sugar in them counts as fuel, and might just be enough to carry you if you are close.

I would encourage you to test in training so you do not have surprises on race day. :)

If you were to maximize your calorie intake during a marathon you would need to take in THIRTY TO FORTY ounces of gatorade, PER hour, to get those calories.

That's more liquid than I would want to drink in an hour. Personally, I'd need something other than gatorade. Yes you certainly can (and should!) count those calories, but I need something with a higher calorie density.

Somewhere there's a study which actually tells you what the most efficient calorie density liquid would be for maximum carb uptake during running.

I caught something on tv (of course I can't remember the entirety of the show), that explored milk, water and a sports drink intake during cardio. The milk actually "won".

If I can find it, I'll share it. I can't imagine doing milk at all (not a milk drinker 20+years, dd's allergic to the protein). But those that drink it, may consider it as mid run fuel.

When I was a kid, we'd take a drink of milk, then red Kool aid to hock lugies that hung like stalactites from the ceiling in the apartment walk ways. Kids are so gross. :naughty:

ETA... Maybe it was something like this... http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/milk-outperforms-sports-drinks-20100908-150xr.html which is better at rehydration. Not fueling.

Chocolate milk is one of the best RECOVERY drinks there is - but many (most?) people could not handle the dairy in their system while running. I think I would be fine, but I know people that definitely not fine.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    But who know. My longest run to date has been 9.7 miles in 1 hour 54 minutes.

Don't forget that in a race, you will naturally go faster due to the adrenaline from all the excitement that race environments provide (crowd excitement, medals, other racers, wanting to do good officially, etc.). And if your like me, having people around you that are a little faster will drive you to want to go a little faster.

Also, you will have Gatorade at the water stops. The sugar in them counts as fuel, and might just be enough to carry you if you are close.

I would encourage you to test in training so you do not have surprises on race day. :)

If you were to maximize your calorie intake during a marathon you would need to take in THIRTY TO FORTY ounces of gatorade, PER hour, to get those calories.

That's more liquid than I would want to drink in an hour. Personally, I'd need something other than gatorade. Yes you certainly can (and should!) count those calories, but I need something with a higher calorie density.

Somewhere there's a study which actually tells you what the most efficient calorie density liquid would be for maximum carb uptake during running.

She is talking about a half-marathon
    . It is definitely possible to run a half completely unfueled (I have), so Gatorade might be enough for her, or she might need more or less. Everyone's needs are different and that is why she needs to test. :)

Good point, thanks for pointing that out! I had full marathon on my mind.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Attagirl! @kat_ontherun ! Sounds like a great month despite that TM!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Speed workout 12 440 intervals at a 6:40 pace. Total mileage 8. Lost .7 on watch because I forgot to start watch. Scale at the fitness center had me at an all time low of 155 (post workout of course.)

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    February goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 140? I really don't know. Real plan is to follow training and coach's advice well.

2/1- REST
    2/2- 5.5
    2/3- 16.6
    2/4- 4.2
    2/5- REST
    2/6- 9.1
    2/7- 6.7
    2/8- REST
    2/9- 5.5
    2/10-10
    2/11- 9.8
    2/12- RESR
    2/13- 6.8
    2/14- 6.8
    2/15- REST
    2/16- 5.8
    2/17- 13.4
    2/18- 9
    2/19- REST
    2/20- 9.1
    2/21- 6.9

Total: 125..3

Today's notes: Road run day today. Felt blah, just went out there and got it done. Didn't really pay attention to my pace or effort and ended up getting in 6.9 miles in 1:00:14, so probably too fast but, whatever, road runs are just there as runs for me.

2018 races
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50 (coach brought up this one)
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile
    10/20- Wild Duluth 50k
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    All this talk of Girl Scout cookies is making me really want them. Ugh. You people are evil.

Did you know that they have GLUTEN FREE Girl Scout cookies now? I know some of us in this thread are GF. I ordered some. Probably going to regret it. Waiting on delivery now.