WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR FEBRUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon friends. Went to yoga this morning and had a substitute teacher. It was the hardest
    Yoga class I have even taken. Thought I was going to do some eliciting after but could only go for 6minutes and my legs said no more
    Beth- saying a prayer for a solution for your son. It sound like he is such a wonderful person. Hope an acceptable place comes soon.
    Lisa- can your son go to the VA in Denver for help? I know a guy who was only I. The AF for 4 years and he gets his meds f on the VA. Congrats on your loss last month. At some point we must all figure out what works for us as we are all different.
    Allie- did you ever discuss a will with your dad? Did he have an attorney? When my DH ‘s mom died, we found a company that did estate sales. They told us to leave everything we did’t want and they would take care of it. We did have to go through it all and found money inside of books and gold jewelry in bathroom drawers. It took us three months to get it ready to “leave everything”
    I honk I will take a nap.
    One question for all you exercisers. What is a good post workout meal? After doing cardio and weights, I am starving.
    Mary, I thought of you this morning as I walked in my house for 10 minutes. I can get 1000 steps in 10 minutes. :D
    SueBDew in TX
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Beth- are there any family ran group homes in your area? My sister in law has ran one for around 30 years and is transitioning it into my great nephews hands. It is on a lake in northern Mn and the residents are treated like family. They enjoy the outdoors all year long and go to work during the week days.

SueBDew- great job! I also noticed someone mentioning the counter push-ups. I think that Lenora was doing those on a regular basis.

Still in bed with the flu!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    SueBDew- A good post meal workout is water plenty of it! You see what happens to most people is that they think they should eat a large meal because they are starving after working out and that is why their weight may stay the same instead of losing.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Healing thoughts to you Mary from Arizona!!??
    Becca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
    //
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

spin class- 67min, 109aw, 79ar, 136ahr, 163mhr, 16.7mi= 650c
    Apple Watch- 612c
    220# tire flip- 3.35min, 2 laps, 153mhr, 180ft = 52c
    Apple Watch- 30c
    various machines- 15.03min, 2sets of 10ea, 4 diff machines, 9 diff exercises, 131mhr = 105c
    Apple Watch- 85c

total cal 807
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you Beth as you continue your search. It burns me that your son has to face such limited choices for housing. And how come the state has no other resources to help you all in the search?? (((( <3 ))))
    NYKAREN
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    :) The water came back on about 6:30 AM. Jake called me while I was walking with the dogs and my friend to let me know. My friend who has lived in this neighborhood for a lot longer than we have, said that this happens from time to time. I remember it happening once before.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Becca- <3 thanks!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    Suebdew - I never exercise on an empty stomach or I would be fainting. I exercise after my muesli and fruit breakfast and I run after a light lunch of around 250 calories. If I am really hungry after my afternoon run I would have my normal snack at 3 pm which is usually around 200 calories. Often my yoghurt cheese and half an avocado. I eat at regular times, which stops my appetite being erratic. My hardest time is around 5 pm when I usually munch on a carrot and have a low calorie miso soup. Or a spicy tomato juice. When I have exercised on an empty stomach the plunge in blood sugar just is overwhelming and lasts all day, so I make sure I have fuel inside me. A banana is helpful if nothing else is to hand. I used to have that on the cruise before my early morning swim and then have a protein breakfast afterwards.
    Being starving is just miserable. To me it is just torture and quite unecessary.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Eating off my cutting board is fun!!
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Becca- <3 thanks!

Ooh I mixed up some question marks in with my exclamation marks! Oopsy!
    Becca
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    Well long day...
    Getting nowhere really at Dad's house...went there after work...
    Did talk to my son,please keep him in thoughts and prayers,there is a public housing apts downtown,and one opened up next his dad,it would be ideal for him,and close to all of us...and goes by income...so I'm hoping my dad has some pull the powers that be to get him in there..and he can take the cat too.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    llqbzf22yms6.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,937 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    One question for all you exercisers. What is a good post workout meal? After doing cardio and weights, I am starving.

It depends what I've done for exercise, but the general recommendation is 1:4 protein to carbs.

So for example, after I do an hour's walk at lunch, I have my usual lunch which is usually brown rice, chicken and veggies.

Whereas after really long bicycle rides we might go with something like a pizza.

But if I just feel like I want a bit of a snack, it might be cottage cheese and cucumber slices.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,937 Member
    Options
    I'm down another 0.5 kg today. :)

I had been gaining weight over Christmas and hit a peak mid-January. By the end of January I had lost 2 kg and now I'm down another 0.5 kg. Heading the right direction again!! :):)

I've gone back to eating "normally" during the day, and I've also dropped my toast with nutella & honey snack.

This is my "normal" ... :)

Machka9 wrote:

My week day ...

No breakfast
    10:30 am snack - cheese & crackers
    12:30 pm snack - banana
    2:00 pm lunch - chicken, rice, steamed veggies or occasionally LaZuppa soup, noodles, and steamed veg
    3:30 pm snack - yogurt
    4:45 pm snack - apple, mandarin or some other fruit
    6 pm snack - cottage cheese, raw veggies, whole wheat crackers
    7:30 pm dinner - steamed veggies & ... whatever else my husband makes
    9:30 pm snack - yogurt, sometimes with added fruit
    11 pm snack - toast with nutella & honey ... sometimes without the nutella ... sometimes with cheese instead of either the nutella or honey
    12:30 am snack - McVities digestive biscuit with chocolate coating or a few cheese crackers if I still have the calories for them.

Whether I eat large meals or not, I get ravenously hungry about 1.5 hours later. I can pack away a massive dinner, and be prowling around the kitchen 1.5 hours later. Therefore, I feel so much more comfortable if I just keep the food coming on a regular basis ... but keep everything on the small side.

My larger "meals" are the 2 pm lunch and the 7:30 pm dinner but it is rare that either one will go over 500 cal. The rest of my snacks are usually somewhere around the 100 cal point.

That's the "diet" I used to drop 25 kg, and is something I've more or less stuck with. Anytime I need to lose a little bit of weight again, I will tighten that up and start weighing things again to ensure I stay just under my calorie limit.

In there, you'll see that dinners are "steamed veggies & ... whatever else my husband makes".

That's usually steamed veggies and a small frozen dinner with less calories than a Weight Watchers meal. Our grocery store had a reasonable collection of them ... we get 3 or 4 different kinds: cottage pie, lasagne, other pastas, etc.

Or perhaps a LaZuppa or other soup for 2 which he thickens with brown rice, shredded chicken, and steamed veggies. Or there are these great Indian meal packages which is prepared much like the soup, with rice, chicken and steamed veggies added. Both make a nice big bowl of dinner that's really tasty.

Sometimes he'll do baked potatoes with light cheese, shredded teriyaki chicken, and salad.

Sometimes he'll do tacos. I've figured out which shells are the lowest calorie shells, then he does chicken mince, light cheese, and raw veggies.

If I dig out the slow cooker, I can make 2 or 3 meals with chicken mince and veg and a packet of spice and stuff ... there are packets you can get to add to slow cooker meals, or just add your own spice. And I usually have a can of light coconut milk and a can of chickpeas which I can toss in.

Once a week or so, we'll go out to Zambreros for a burrito (I do need to put in a little bit extra exercise for that!) or to Subway, and I get a 6" tuna sub with most of the veggies.

We're busy people so we generally go with whatever is easiest ... and then pad it out with lots of veggies.

I'll also add that I would eat more eggs ... would love to do a couple boiled eggs on toast for dinner some nights ... but sadly, eggs and my gallbladder just simply do not get along. I might be able to manage the 2 boiled eggs on toast one night ... but it would be a couple months before I could do it again. :( But if you can tolerate eggs, they're great! Low cal, filling, easy ... :)

M in Oz

Machka in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »

SueBDew in TX

Always a surprise when a guest instructor works you harder than your normal instructor! I try to have a bit of something before I work out, like a cup of yogurt with a bit of banana, or just a whole piece of fruit. Post work out: I agree with Machka, it all depends on how hard I worked and how hungry I am. I go for four ounces of protein (usually chicken or eggs), either brown/whole grain rice or whole grain bread, lots of veg. If I am still hungry, I will go for either more bread and I might put a bit of cheese on it. WAter, water, water! Don't forget to re-hydrate after a hard work out!

Busy day! tomorrow is my fast day. I will catch up with every one tomorrow! ttfn xoxoxo KJ
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,064 Member
    Options
    :heart: