WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR FEBRUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,678 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Pip: I love your fire. I feel the warmth! :star:

Joyce: I'm sorry that you've had such serious problems with your hands and dexterity. It doesn't seem fair that you lost your MFP name due to typing problems. I hope MFP comes to your rescue. I asked DH for advice on a way for you to talk to your ipad and have it produce text. It is possible. DH says to go to settings on your ipad, then general, & open accessibility. The first line under accessibility is called voice over. DH says to play with it and figure it out. It might be a big help to you. Keeping my fingers crossed for your success. (((HUGS)))

Vickie in N California: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Jump in and post when you have something to say or a question to ask. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: I'm a fan of Doctor Pol, too. :bigsmile:

Rori: Congratulations on your rapidly coming retirement. I hope you will love your new life! Make sure to do things for your own pleasure in addition to the things you do with & for your DH. :flowerforyou:

blackburn23: Welcome! :star:

janetr: Love your ee card--"Losing weight should be like losing your virginity. Once you lose it you can never get it back--" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Allie: I agree with Okie Woman and everyone else who advises you to take care of your needs. You don't owe Tom a thing. :noway:

I've been busy & distracted the past few days and have missed quite a few posts. This evening I'm watching the AKC dog show--luckily I had it recorded. I still don't know who won, but I expect that I will soon enough. My beloved Keeshonden are a very long shot. I've never seen one win at the AKC out side of the breed grouping. They have wonderful personalities and are cute, lovable companions--in my opinion.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe

Awwwwww thanks gurl!!!!
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Laura from snow country..... I like your thoughts...every day is a new start. If I was off the program yesterday, I can start fresh today and build on my successful days.

Have a good day and weekend everyone,
    Betsy visiting in Arizona
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Lanette - I wouldn't think the elliptical would be great for your feet. There is a lot of rolling onto the balls of your feet. Is there a recumbent bike at the gym? Or a rower? Punching forward into the air is guaranteed to get your heart racing and can even be done sitting down. Kettlebell swinging? That is great cardio.

Couldn't decide what to do for my bonus calories today, so I put a nature programme on the TV and did some exercises from Thinner This Year. Managed about half an hour. :D I will be running tomorrow. I finished my second running book last night. :p:o

Chinese Chicken with Mushrooms tonight with flat green beans. Noodles for DH. We will share half a bottle of Fino sherry.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    To those who send friend requests, don't be hurt when I don't respond. I don't use MFP that way.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    Barbara in S OR - regarding granny hairs.... sometimes I have a stray appear where I can't see to pluck, or have heavier hairs on my upper lip - I have found it is easiest just to grab the razor and dry shave it off. Just takes a second. Glides over the skin and doesn't appear to irritate it (on me, anyhow). Then rub some nice face cream all over it. Makes hairs disappear for weeks and weeks.

If the hairs were darker, or if I had a beard like DH, I would probably go a different route.

Good for you freezing the cookies! I'd probably have good luck with that if they were frozen in my BFF's freezer across town, lol. B)

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Wendy: I donated my fat clothes to the senior center thrift store. I vowed never to need them again, and I haven't. The exception is one pair of yoga pants. They're too loose, but when my main pair is in the wash they occasionally get the job done. :smiley:

Sharon in Lethbridge: A massage is a wonderful gift to receive. You are a good friend to Wendy. :flowerforyou:

Pat in OH: I'm so glad your DH finally got a doctor to really look at his situation rather than pawn it off as a virus. :heart:

kristingjertsen: I think this is brilliant, "I just read a book called Just Move: A New Approach to Fitness After 50" which has made me re-evaluate the way I exercise. James Owen's suggests that the focus should be on creating functional fitness and the goal should be to develop the strength, balance, and coordination to stay healthy and active into old age." :star: Yoga does this for me.

Barbara: Re chin hairs--I've tried all three options. Electrolysis was most expensive and the hairs seemed to come back despite repeated treatments. Waxing was temporary & I burned my skin with the hot wax. Now I pluck as needed. :grumble:

The Keeshond got fourth in group at the Westminster Dog Show! Yay!!!! This is the best finish I've seen for a Kee at the AKC dog show in NYC. :heart:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Two days of rain in the desert?? Didn’t rain for 2 months.-now 2 days straight—-strange. No walks, no stores around, just quiet boring day. Maybe I’ll go back to bed for the day.....

RV Rita
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Did the elliptical for a little bit and then did a step DVD. Not sure what time we're leaving for Daytona tomorrow so not sure that I can get a workout in.

Lanette - when Vince retired it took him a while to get used to things. At first the minute I'd get home he'd be all ready to tell me about his day. I just wanted to decompress but I understood that he didn't have anyone to talk to all day. The he started telling me how to cook and how to load the dishwasher. I'd only been doing it for 23 years, don't ja think I know how to do it. Finally, I just said to him "go downstairs, just go downstairs". now he has hobbies so he goes his way and I go mine and we meet for dinner....lol

Heather - I use the elliptical for my HIIT also, mainly because it's gentle on the knees.

Kerri - welcome! Good for you retiring! I've heard of too many people who wait for retirement, retire, and then drop dead -- didn't even get to enjoy their retirement. How sad! I'm curious like Wency...what is your exercise routine? Do you have any limitations?

Lisa - I think you have the right idea...stay until your son returns, give him a little while to settle in, then go. You deserve it. What a great loss!

Patty - my deepest sympathis on the passing of your husband. I can't imagine.

Kim - as far as Pete's future dreams, I'm just afraid he's in for somewhat of a shock. Buying a home is not exactly cheap. Then again, wouldn't surprise me if his mother bought it for him. What's going to happen when the day comes that she's no longer here to pay his bills???? Well, not my problem

I'm thinking that for a few days I may not log, just make healthy choices. My girlfriend is coming down, we're going out meeting some of our friends down here. Boy, it seems like EVERYONE practically is moving to FL....lol

Jeri Lynn - so sorry to hear about your marriage.

Brenda - welcome. Great goals,

A friend just invited me to go to the Biltmore with her when we get back. Should be nice. Vince isn't intersted in going, I didn't think he would be. But I'm up for it. That day I was originally planning to go to the water aerobics class, but I'll just do something at home.

blackburn - we don't really care how much you post, but that you post and let us know what's going on

Did 2 loads of laundry, mainly because it is so warm that I put on a sleeveless top. Vince said that tomorrow and Sun are supposed to be about the same and I didn't have any sleeveless shirts to match the only pair of shorts that I have so I need to wash the jean and black pairs at least. So while I'm doing some, I might as well do them all. Afterwards, I'll probably go in the pool

It was really nice to be playing the canasta last night. Unfortunately, I was at a table with 8 people. It seemed to go so slow. But I did have questions and no one seemed bothered by that fact. I was afraid someone would be. I may go back next week, too. Then I probably can't play again until next year.

Allie - agree with Mary, too.

Sharon - sorry to hear about your aunt

Pat - hope everything works out for your dh. (((HUGS))))

Joyce - add me to the list of people who must have missed your birthday, but warm wishes just the same.

Barbara - many times I put cookies in my freezer, too

Michele who is going to get the clothes out of the dryer and then go to the pool
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    Braced the daughter with the fact that, when her husband comes home, we're leaving. Went about as well as could be expected. Tears, anger, slammed and locked door. Confrontations are not my favorite. She's got the long weekend to think about it.

Sigh.
    Lisa in NC

Lisa - it just occurred to me that soon you'll be "Lisa in AR" B).

Sorry your daughter isn't taking it too well. I can understand her being upset about losing the babysitting service, but with her DH back home, seems there would be too many adults in the house. I hope she'll be glad to have him back home again and they can get back to their lives as a family.

Have a great trip out in "Dana country"!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Give your feet time to heal. A month will pass pretty quickly. Do what you can, but be safe in how you do it. I know we were raised to push through the pain and keep moving, I just read a book called Just Move: A New Approach to Fitness After 50" which has made me re-evaluate the way I exercise. James Owen's suggests that the focus should be on creating functional fitness and the goal should be to develop the strength, balance, and coordination to stay healthy and active into old age. So many exercise books and magazines are targeted to younger adults rather than older adults. I exercise more frequently in my 50s than I did in my 20s, but don't see the same results. I get discouraged when I compare myself to the 20 and 30 somethings. This book reminded me that I need to focus on what my body can do here and now and the goals I have for my 60s and beyond. Don't look back, look forward!

At the gym where I attend, the trainers talk a lot about "functional fitness." They will often say things like, "This move will help you get off the floor." "This move will help you recover when you trip, so you might not fall all the way down to the floor." I really appreciate that.

Felicia, two weeks of the training experience down -- one more to go!
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Good Friday morning. My DD from CO came in last night on her way to see our GD at college. She will come back by on Sunday night.
    PAT- so glad your hubby got the care he needed. He is very lunch that this is his first time in hospital. I hope he continues to improve.
    LISA- when I read your comment about hiking in the rain , it reminded me of when we first live in England. We would plan trips or outings for the weekends and if it was raining, we would stay home. After a few months, we got some wellingtons and off we went. Enjoy your weekend.
    KERRI- you have inspired me already by your commitment to do what you can. You DO have a great coach to help you with your training. My only physical limitation is my age and actually that shouldn’t’ matter. I am retired so time is not an issue like it is for working gals. Might need to get in touch with Pip to get myself right again. Lol
    ALLIE- although I have no experience in divorce proceedings, I have been on this thread for years reading your posts. It always confounded me that Tom would treat you so badly and you would just try harder to do everything around the house. You are naturally a kind and loving person who wants to help everyone with no expectations. Someday you will see how valuable you are and hopefully you will find someone to honor and cherish you. <3
    JOyCE- did I miss your birthday too? If so, wishing you a belated Happy Birthday. .
    Suebdew in TX
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Barbara in S OR LOL! my word for 2018 is "Pluck"!

I pluck as needed. I was burned/abraded under an eyebrow once when getting waxed, Nair for the face stings, I never tried electrolysis. Sometimes I shave some granny hairs when I am in a hurry, but they do come back faster than when plucked. If you use an astringent on your face before plucking it doesn't hurt as much.

Joyce Happy Birthday???

Karen in Virginia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Just downloaded another book about running. Obsessed? Me? :embarassed:

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your loving advise...I will do all I can to get what I can from Tom...but I can only get so much with our house remortgaged there isn't alot to get from that ,and the house in Florida either but will get what I can and will get 1/2 401k and beneficiary on life insurance ..so I am set with that.
  • grnwoodtree
    grnwoodtree Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi again,

Tha KS for the kind words and thoughts on my first post here. Right after that, after Wendy said to have a damn pizza, I said, hell, I'm going to.
    I took a 3day break from this diet thing, Tues-Thurs, had two different gluten free pizzas (Extreme Pizza-always good; Papa John's-really not so good). Gluten free pizza is always a size small, so that's probably good for me.
  • grnwoodtree
    grnwoodtree Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know what happened but my message was cutoff and posted while I was still typing. And I'm too tired to type it all again......