How to approach girls in the gym???

Options

Replies

• Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this subtle art of approaching the female in the gym can be learned. Are you able to distinguish between facial expressions like happiness vs. grimace when lifting heavy weights? How about friendliness vs. needing to fart? It gets tricky, but for the novice, I'd suggest slow mimicking movements - the last thing you want is to startle the females and send them running back to cover. When she squats, you squat. Maybe something shiny to lay at her feet as an offering... diamond bracelet... gold charge card .... new car keys....

Or just get semi-chub....female eyes are able to detect frontal sweatpant bulging from across the room... it sings to them like a bird's mating call...

ca-caw ca-caw
  • michaelogle9284
    michaelogle9284 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Say "Good morning" with a big smile when you see her. Then based on her reaction you should get an idea of how to proceed.
    I used to speak to no one at the gym. No one. Now I have made friends that I will go out with outside of the gym, I know about their families, their jobs, etc. I go to the gym to get *kitten* done and anyone there that knows me would say that I am one of the hardest working people there, but that doesn't mean I don't have time to be friendly. Yes, my time is limited and I work out hard, but I have learned a ton by being open to speaking to other people.
    Here come the woos, but.... Anyone who refuses to talk to someone else in the gym isn't worth your time. They clearly think they are perfect and don't need interaction with the likes of you or anyone else to better themselves.
    For those of you that want to hate me for saying that think about the possibility that someone wants to give you a tip on form or they want to let you know there is a huge hole in your pants or your shoe is untied or that they admire your strength, stamina, weight loss, etc. Not every person who speaks to you at the gym wants in your pants or is a waste of your precious time.

Responding to the bold - so what if I don't need or want interaction with someone else at the gym - on MY time. I have plenty of work to do before I'm anywhere near "perfect". Your forced interaction isn't going to bring any more quality to my life, let alone my workout. It would be different if I was sitting at a bar, looking around, making eye contact at people. I have to be social at my job all day, constantly being interrupted or solving problems for other people - you better believe when I'm at the gym I'm having the experience I want. ME TIME.

I don't need or want a tip on form, if my form is *kitten* for a rep, I know it is, I'm aware if there's a hole in my pants, if my shoes untied - I meant it to be. And my time is precious. I will never understand why people get mad if other people don't want to have the same experience they do. Maybe they are having their own experience, and I doubt you'd like it being forced on you as well.

lol what a ridiculous comment.
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I genuinely feel sorry for single men. There's so many social situations they're expected to navigate and they feel like they're wrong no matter what they do.

Considering I've been harassed on the street since I was like 14- I don't feel all that bad.

Yes, this would make a difference, I suppose. I've never been harassed so I can't speak for everyone. I just didn't see what he was wanting to do as harassment, but I guess I could see why others might take it that way.

You appear to be a grown good looking woman. I have a hard time believing you have NEVER ever been whistled at- cat called or leered at in public.
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Here come the woos, but.... Anyone who refuses to talk to someone else in the gym isn't worth your time. They clearly think they are perfect and don't need interaction with the likes of you or anyone else to better themselves.
    For those of you that want to hate me for saying that think about the possibility that someone wants to give you a tip on form or they want to let you know there is a huge hole in your pants or your shoe is untied or that they admire your strength, stamina, weight loss, etc. Not every person who speaks to you at the gym wants in your pants or is a waste of your precious time.

erm- maybe they have social anxiety? maybe they are having a bad day- maybe their dad just died- maybe they are in a hurry and don't have time to chat- maybe they are doing interval training and can't actually talk (had that happen before- someone got super huffy- I was USING A BLOODY TIMER that beeped at 10 and 40 second intervals- it was 12 minutes of work- GO AWAY)

I am a very social person- I generally don't understand the "I never ever talk to people at the gym" mentality- because I'm just way to effing social for that- but there are days- where no- I don't want to talk to anyone- I don't have time to get wrapped up in a conversation- and there is no guarantee that "hey man what's up" won't turn into a flipping 20 min discussion about why your leg hurts. So sometimes yes- it's safer to not talk. But that doesn't mean people who don't talk to other people think they are perfect- there are a whole HOST of reasons why and it isn't always about some one being aloof.

There is room in the middle my friend.

if people dont wanna talk to other people coz they think other people got nothing to offer them that’s f-ed up

thats what i get from what @lstrat115 said

dont be so easily offended

I may have misunderstood who you're directing the "not being offended" comment at. I don't see where I'm offended? Speaking on my own experiences that differ from someone else, doesn't automatically make you offended...

u sure sounded offended

and defensive

I see. I'm glad you can deduce tone and intent through some words on the internet. There's every possibility I was just responding to a comment I thought was ridiculous? But you're probably right, I'm most likely offended. lol

Make love not war...
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this subtle art of approaching the female in the gym can be learned. Are you able to distinguish between facial expressions like happiness vs. grimace when lifting heavy weights? How about friendliness vs. needing to fart? It gets tricky, but for the novice, I'd suggest slow mimicking movements - the last thing you want is to startle the females and send them running back to cover. When she squats, you squat. Maybe something shiny to lay at her feet as an offering... diamond bracelet... gold charge card .... new car keys....

Or just get semi-chub....female eyes are able to detect frontal sweatpant bulging from across the room... it sings to them like a bird's mating call...

ca-caw ca-caw

He could tell them he's a professional butt snorkeler. I've heard that the ladies can't resist a professional butt snorkeler.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

ca-caw ca-caw

LOL well now, consider this thread officially closed. To all the commenters, thank you for playing, but we have found the comment winner of the day. :D
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    csbnga wrote: »
    I like to leave my pheromones (sweat all over the bench). They seem to love that, and makes for a great conversation starter.

Yeah, as I am cussing you out for not wiping your sweaty stank off the bench before I can use it.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    Options
    What works for me is I drop my gym towel and bend over in front of them to pick it up, give a little shake and look back with a cheeky smile and BAM! Resistance is futile!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

I see. I'm glad you can deduce tone and intent through some words on the internet. There's every possibility I was just responding to a comment I thought was ridiculous? But you're probably right, I'm most likely offended. lol

I'm "mad" someone is saying that I think I'm too good for everyone because I don't want to share their experience.

x7b3zc2uyuhn.gif
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

I'm "mad" someone is saying that I think I'm too good for everyone because I don't want to share their experience.

x7b3zc2uyuhn.gif

Cute meme - my dachshund does that too.

First, this would be relevant if I was ever, actually mad. Second, I'm glad to have entertained you for some of today. Third, I'll make sure I'm more literal on my posting moving forward. I guess I assumed the "mad" in parenthesis allowed people to pick up my tone as -ridiculous being upset about a random strangers internet post. And you know what they say assuming does... oops.

ETA: GIF, not meme - oops again.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    Options
    With extreme caution. They are known to attack if startled or even if not startled.
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    Options
    Don't, most girls are there to workout but if you want, approach the ones in full make up and cutesy outfits that are not sweating because that is what they are there for. LOL
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

x7b3zc2uyuhn.gif

First, this would be relevant if I was ever, actually mad. Second, I'm glad to have entertained you for some of today. Third, I'll make sure I'm more literal on my posting moving forward. I guess I assumed the "mad" in parenthesis allowed people to pick up my tone as -ridiculous being upset about a random strangers internet post. And you know what they say assuming does... oops.

You are interesting.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options

x7b3zc2uyuhn.gif

You are interesting.

people keep saying that to me. I'm going to take it as a compliment and run with it. :D5ehuw7o2ph6i.gif
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Seriously, as someone who's been a member of various gyms for more than 20 years, I have never dated anyone I have met at the gym. The gym is my sanctuary, its where I go to get away from work, or stress or "man problems". I've dated guys that wanted to train with me, I always decline. Not saying you can't be friendly, I consider the "bros" at my current gym friends, since I train alone, I count on them for a spot when I need one, we chat in between sets, I just helped one's girlfriend get a job at my company, but as for dating any one of them, as great as they are, nope.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I genuinely feel sorry for single men. There's so many social situations they're expected to navigate and they feel like they're wrong no matter what they do.

Considering I've been harassed on the street since I was like 14- I don't feel all that bad.

Yes, this would make a difference, I suppose. I've never been harassed so I can't speak for everyone. I just didn't see what he was wanting to do as harassment, but I guess I could see why others might take it that way.

You appear to be a grown good looking woman. I have a hard time believing you have NEVER ever been whistled at- cat called or leered at in public. .

Eh, I'm average-looking. I can truthfully say that, if these things have ever happened, I've never noticed it. It's certainly never been done overtly, because I'm not aware of it happening.

But thanks anyway :)

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    You: "Hey hot lady, want to pump my iron?"
    Hot Lady: *slap*.
    :lol:
  • PrincessTinyheart
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    So I'm a single woman . . . and lots of women are here are saying they don't want to be approached at the gym because, well, they're busy and here for a reason buuuuuut can I just say something . . . . and please don't shoot me for this

We live in a world where women complain men don't show interest, but when they do show interest we're saying it's creepy? Sure, I get the gym isn't like the ideal spot for a guy to show he wants to get to know, but he is saying he wants to get to know you. Provided, he isn't saying this to every girl he comes across, I would take it as a compliment. He might not be the world's greatest guy, he might only be good for one cup of coffee but he's taking a chance. If you're not single, I get it and you have to find a nice way to say, thanks but I'm not single. It takes a lot of guts to show interest in today's dating world . .. but we're saying show interest, just only at these times? Jeeeez

Thank you!!!

• PrincessTinyheart
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I'm too shy to approach a girl in the Gym. I just put up a camera in the girls' locker room and scroll the possibilities late at night.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I think you just won the Internet.