Less Alcohol - March 2018- One day at a Time

Options

Replies

• snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm back. I need motivation.

We're here for you. Remember the 6 minute rule- cravings will pass in 6 minutes. Distract yourself. Substitute with tea or flavored water. Positive self talk. YOU can do anything! Xox

Dang, that's what I meant! 6 minutes not seconds.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Man I hope the April thread picks up.
    To quote the movie Swingers: This Place Is Dead Anyway.
    I remember when I would have dozens of posts to read if I missed a day. There would be lots of likes on everyones posts. Now I can go away for the weekend and come back to 10-20 if I’m lucky.
  • ali3boys
    ali3boys Posts: 84 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    ali3boys wrote: »
    Is it weird to say I felt more in control of my weight NOT AF then AF !?! I didn't know this at the time, but before Lent I kept thinking wow " I'm going to lose so much weight not drinking these empty calories week after week ... Um nope !!! I'm still doing my same song and dance of losing through the week what I went up over the weekend :s I've developed these crazy strong cravings now :o Especially in the SWEET category :# ugh !!!! It's disappointing; I mean there is SO MUCH GOOD from being AF ... But surprisingly some areas not so amazing; that I thought might change. :|

I was AF for 7 months in 2011 and didn't lose a freakin pound.

Yeah in Jan when I was totally AF I expected to lose a lot and I did lose some weight but not as much as I expected. I always wonder if somehow wine calories are metabolized differently? I also think I eat more when I’m not drinking. I do not tend to be a snacker when I drink wine, but when I don’t it seems like I’m hungry in the evening.
    I'm totally eating more AF, I try very hard to track and watch, but I feel like I'm entitled because I'm not drinking calories away. However I can see now I'm eating my calories away; were as before I would just drink and choose not to eat "to save my calories for alcohol "which you can guess where that led ... I need to find something else to comfort me that doesn't have a ton of calories attached.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    savina6 wrote: »
    Im in for the month of april, i started march 24th and am going tell april 24th plus 60 0z of detox tea for a week. It feels awesome so far!

Me too. Im in for April, even if i find all the excuses not to. I find this is what my body needs. I guess it'll b abt June / July b4 i get to my goal weight and i can relax a little.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    salleewins wrote: »
    @MissMay can you share the Sangria recipe?? Sounds yummy and I have store frozen blueberries. It won't be as good as yours, but maybe I can make it for Easter...

Of course I will share. I am no mixologist, I made it on a whim with what was in the house.

COMBINE THE FOLLOWING AND REFRIG FOR 2 OR MORE HOURS:
    Eli's blueberry pop - 1 bottle
    Blueberry juice from defrosted blueberries
    Defrosted muddled blueberries -1 cup
    Dole mandararin oranges with juice 4pk of snack pack size
    Watermelon cut into 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch x 4 inches
    Zest a side of a lemon and mix in

When ready to drink add - La Croix sparkling water ( I used passion fruit flavor )

Frozen blueberries to float "as ice" after poured into glass

• Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    @MissMay can you share the Sangria recipe?? Sounds yummy and I have store frozen blueberries. It won't be as good as yours, but maybe I can make it for Easter...

Of course I will share. I am no mixologist, I made it on a whim with what was in the house.

When ready to drink add - La Croix sparkling water ( I used passion fruit flavor )

Yum!!, thanks I'll try that too... if u went into business u could b a millionaire ;);)
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    @MissMay
    I like the site drinkaware, but do you know of one that tracks in ounces?
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Annie Grace shared this on her AE Facebook page. I thought it was a good read for sure. https://www.babble.com/parenting/mommy-drinking-culture-wine-motherhood/
  • MissMay
    Options
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    @MissMay
    I like the site drinkaware, but do you know of one that tracks in ounces?

Yes it is a very helpful site. No I did look and could not find one as good as that site.
    That is the only thing I don't like is that it is in British measure instead if fluid ounces and when calculating the cost of alcohol spent it is not american dollars. I did notice they allow women to be in the same alcohol risk as men which is 14 units a week. Where as in the USA it is 7 units a week for women. I still try to break it down to the 7 units women.
  • MissMay
    Options
    Alzzi76 wrote: »

Yum!!, thanks I'll try that too... u could get rich/ richer ;);)

Thanks...yes give it a try. I made a mock mimosa to.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @MissMay - thanks so much for sharing those drink ideas! A lot of those would be excellent for the AF Easter brunch we're planning. In my continuing quest to get a grip on the sugar demons, I cut up fruit and froze it. I'm TRYING to grab something like a banana slice or a frozen grape when I want something sweet. It occurred to me they might be good in a sparkling water, like the 8,000 Polars I have in my frig. Gonna try.

Had a really good Fri-Sun this past weekend. One glass of wine each night, and on Sat and Sun when we were home I measured out 4 oz and that was enough. I have to say that the feeling of possibly conquering this alcohol business (I guess I don't know for sure yet bc it's only been a few months) has made me feel more confident about getting a grip on my eating and sugar intake. All we can do is keep trying, and I think it can take quite awhile to break old habits. Never give up! I'm in for April, so let's keep it going.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    Good morning/evening my friends! Today we have another gloomy day in Ohio. Rain, rain and more rain, but I know my happiness comes from within. I am so blessed to have all of you on this thread. And even if you don't post often, just remember we are collectively trying to be better people, healthy, happy and content without any artificial help.
    I sometimes think back to when I was younger and AF, and I did just fine. I found ways to deal with problems and stay motivated. We can do this together. So, don't despair if March has been a lion to you. There is always hope. Every morning is a new start!

Also, keep in mind that you never know when you touch or motivate someone out there who just reads our posts without commenting; they may be the person we save and help without ever knowing.

Funny quote from my calendar: "Everything in moderation... including moderation."

• salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »

Thank you so much! Sounds divine!
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Is it weird to say I felt more in control of my weight NOT AF then AF !?! I didn't know this at the time, but before Lent I kept thinking wow " I'm going to lose so much weight not drinking these empty calories week after week ... Um nope !!! I'm still doing my same song and dance of losing through the week what I went up over the weekend :s I've developed these crazy strong cravings now :o Especially in the SWEET category :# ugh !!!! It's disappointing; I mean there is SO MUCH GOOD from being AF ... But surprisingly some areas not so amazing; that I thought might change. :|

Yeah in Jan when I was totally AF I expected to lose a lot and I did lose some weight but not as much as I expected. I always wonder if somehow wine calories are metabolized differently? I also think I eat more when I’m not drinking. I do not tend to be a snacker when I drink wine, but when I don’t it seems like I’m hungry in the evening.

I definitely eat more when I'm AF. :(
    But when I went AF for 2 weeks in January, I lost like 5 lbs. So... I dunno.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I definitely eat more when I'm AF. :(
    But when I went AF for 2 weeks in January, I lost like 5 lbs. So... I dunno.

When I drink a glass or two before dinner, I put off dinner and nibble. After I eat dinner, I am fine. I don't want any more wine or food.
    I have noticed on my AF days, I'm starved when I get home. I need to eat dinner and quickly.
    So for me, I'm eating more on my wine days than on my AF days. And drink is what I'm replacing food with.