Less Alcohol - March 2018- One day at a Time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    YES please!! Count me in!! Beer is my weakness after a long day's work. Empty calories. The sugar and carb content are killing my waist line. Help! Like I said...I'm jumping on this train. :)

We are here for you. Read up on the thread for some good tips. This train will be going through April, too!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @ali3boys You've done so well! Amazing 40 days - didn't it get easier as the weeks passed?
    I think you'll be armed with good knowledge when you go to your outings, so it should be easier to moderate. And you'll also see if you want to go back to alcohol. Who knows? Xoxo Happy for your success!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @Leeg5656 you wrote: But slowly slowly articles that said that alcohol blocked nutrient absorption kept creeping up. At first I ignored them and then justified them, because everyone else could drink and it didn't seem to be an issue for them, but then one day it really did sink in that WTF! All or at least a portion of that good nutrient dense food was being blocked from full benefit!! Geez. In the words of Sansa from Game of Thrones, "I may be a slow learner, but I learn."

I did see a video about this. That the body goes right to processing the alcohol and the liver works on that, and the other nutrients get lost along the way. Great insight! Thanks for sharing your reasons. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    donimfp wrote: »
    I’m facing the struggle I knew I would after Italy. Back to pretty much daily wine although not especially large amounts. I’m finding The Sober School website and blog very useful. She (Kate) has a 6-week class she runs and I’m thinking of doing that beginning April 9. One of her main assertions is that being AF is much easier than moderating. I know that’s true for me. Right now I just don’t feel I have the energy to go there I had in January.

I’m glad this is a place to talk alll this out with my friends.

I completely understand that struggle. And am concerned because I have vacation in two and a half weeks. Coming back from vacation is always hard for me to get back on track with diet and excercise

Just enjoy your vacation. And stuff it with exercise, reading, or whatever you enjoy doing! And just view the alcohol as a side event, have a few if you feel like it, and maybe you won't. Your perspective coming into this vacation may be different than the others you've been on. Enjoy yourself!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @donimfp- So glad you had a wonderful time in Italy. I was not able to visit Florence when I was there and that is my only regret. I have heard so many wonderful things about Florence. It appears to be everyone's favorite city. The highlight of my trip was Lake Como, specifically the village of Verena. It was magical. But I definitely want to return to Italy to visit Florence, especially after reading your posts!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 - Well done! Congrats! So impressed by your strength and resolve.
  • tweety3510
    tweety3510 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @sdog626 I am with you on this post!!! I too am very good during the week -sunday - through Thursday -- come friday and saturday -- anything goes -- UGH -- so frustrating but I am committing to 30 days starting April 1 to drink one or two glasses of wine on Friday and Saturday night (or wine on friday and tequila -- only two glasses on saturday). Need to keep the weekly momentum going. I do workout six to seven days so my only "issue" is the alcohol and eating on weekend. I keep hearing but really need to listen to the fact that is 80% diet and 20% exercise. How did you do? Sorry if this isn't the correct to reply/post. Have a great day!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @snoo61 - oh you're going to love it. I'm always kidding around about how I'm trying to keep my Fitbit happy. I've been known to walk circles around the house just to get to a certain step count before bed. One thing I'd recommend is taking some time with the manual and really finding out about everything it can do. I've had a Fitbit Alta HR for a year and just realized a couple of things it could do last week! I'm kicking myself for not figuring this out earlier.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    @kittybenn Oh yes, Your tab is double when you add just one or two drinks to it!
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Thanks, @dbanks80. Yes, I had a GLORIOUS time in Italy. Six days in Florence followed by 3 days in Rome, then back to Florence for one last night before leaving. I felt like I was coming "home" to Florence that last day. Rome was grand and awesome and spectacular (Colosseum, Vatican), but Florence was a place where I could wander the streets and hear street musicians and visit with the lovely, kind, beautiful people forever. It turns out mid-March is a good time to go. We saw Michelangelo's David, everything in the Uffizi, etc. with no crowds to speak of. We did have to keep umbrellas handy, but a slight rain actually added to the charm of the cobblestoned streets. My SIL's amazing and shocking gift of business-class seats made the trans-Atlantic flight a delight rather than something to dread.

Anyway . . . back to the business at hand. You are right that I need to "pretend it's January" in terms of recapturing that enthusiasm and positive feeling toward not drinking I had a few months ago. I remember being so happy with what I was seeing in the mirror and feeling in the morning. Just have to get back to that.

So amazing. I spent a month in Italy after college and have been wanting to get back ever since. Florence was so beautiful. I know how you feel about wanting to get back on track after vacation. For me I am finding the most helpful think is to just not have everyday drinking wine in the house. I have a lot of nice bottles I won’t open on a whim but if there’s anything under $15 I have a hard time resisting a few glasses. I sort of have this “I deserve it” attitude, but really It doesn’t matter if I “deserve it” or not. It’s odd because I’m very disciplined with working out, and I eat healthy. I don’t crazy overindulge with wine either, but I have a hard time saying no to myself with wine -that I don’t have when it comes to things like chocolate or ice cream. I want to really work on my discipline muscle when it comes to wine.

My goal is really overall health. Like many of you pointed out, alcohol is really unhealthy when it comes down to it. (Well in the frequency I tend to want to drink it)

I use to hang on the notion that 4 oz of red wine was good for your heart, so 2-3 8oz glasses would be even better! Ha!
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @snoo61 - oh you're going to love it. I'm always kidding around about how I'm trying to keep my Fitbit happy. I've been known to walk circles around the house just to get to a certain step count before bed. One thing I'd recommend is taking some time with the manual and really finding out about everything it can do. I've had a Fitbit Alta HR for a year and just realized a couple of things it could do last week! I'm kicking myself for not figuring this out earlier.

I'm doing the same thing, I am compelled to move, trying to impress it. Lol. I think I'll enjoy learning it, and hopefully stay motivated.