Less Alcohol - March 2018- One day at a Time

Options

Replies

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Julie have you started the April thread yet? Looking forward to continuing on this journey with you all!

Also, I think I was vague about the hacking thing. They recommend that if you use the same password for MFP as for say, your online banking, you need to change your passwords here AND there.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @WinoGelato, I love your name even more after Italy. I had a close-up view of the Duomo right out of my hotel room window. Very “room with a view.” But have to confess I didn’t climb the 400+ steps to the top. We did cross the river and do the cray cray Pitti Palace (Those Medicis didn’t know the meaning of moderation!) and the lovely Santo Spirito Church. Couldn’t believe all the gelato flavors. I loved lemon and red wine (natch) and chocolate almond and olive oil flavors. We were amazed that every single little trattoria we wandered into had the BEST food. I’m a vegetarian and boy do those Italians know what to do with veggies and fruits and pasta and cheese and cappuccino.

I wish everyone could experience Florence once. I recommend putting all that money saved from not drinking into a Florence fund.

Still not back to AF living yet. That’s been the only downside. But I’ll get there.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Julie have you started the April thread yet? Looking forward to continuing on this journey with you all!

Also, I think I was vague about the hacking thing. They recommend that if you use the same password for MFP as for say, your online banking, you need to change your passwords here AND there.

I wlll start the thread tomorrow. Xo
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @WinoGelato, I love your name even more after Italy. I had a close-up view of the Duomo right out of my hotel room window. Very “room with a view.” But have to confess I didn’t climb the 400+ steps to the top. We did cross the river and do the cray cray Pitti Palace (Those Medicis didn’t know the meaning of moderation!) and the lovely Santo Spirito Church. Couldn’t believe all the gelato flavors. I loved lemon and red wine (natch) and chocolate almond and olive oil flavors. We were amazed that every single little trattoria we wandered into had the BEST food. I’m a vegetarian and boy do those Italians know what to do with veggies and fruits and pasta and cheese and cappuccino.

I wish everyone could experience Florence once. I recommend putting all that money saved from not drinking into a Florence fund.

Still not back to AF living yet. That’s been the only downside. But I’ll get there.

It was after my month in Florence a few years ago that I changed my user name... I’ve been to Rome and Milan but nothing compares to Florence, in my opinion.

I remember loving some of the unusual flavors of gelato like goat cheese and pear, or cinnamon marscapone, so very much. Also, I’m not sure if in season but the stuffed, fried zucchini blossoms were heavenly. I too had a hard time coming back to reality - I joked that I met new friends (pounds) in Italy and they decided to stay for the summer. But it’s an amazing experience and I’m so glad you enjoyed it!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 Thanks for asking about my son. Here's the update: His girlfriend stopped drinking the day they broke up. Two weeks went by and they started talking again and are now back together and both are AF. I am surprised, and so happy for both of them because they're pretty perfect for each other. She hasn't had anything to drink in nearly a month and he's going on two weeks. They're both so health conscious that it really did surprise me that alcohol became a problem. They're back at the gym together and seem very determined to stop drinking altogether or to do some serious moderation.

So, I'm happy for them, although I admit to being somewhat wary until many months have gone by and they show that they've conquered this problem. He asked what my husband and I thought about their getting back together, and we said that we do love his girlfriend and know that he's happy with her but are worried about financial or legal entanglements (i.e. marriage, which they'd talked about) until some time goes by and her drinking problem has for sure been resolved. I know it's easy to be gung ho on the AF journey at first but to slip back into old habits later. Still, she's very smart, tough and determined when she sets her mind to something. She's really a fantastic woman and has everything going for her, so I hope she can get a grip on the alcohol.

I mentioned earlier that we all went out to dinner this week and none of us ordered anything to drink. I almost feel sorry for the servers when they realize how small the tab's going to be, LOL!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    My husband says our credit card bill went down by half last month.
    I said it's because I've stopped buying wine and visiting my favorite bars after work.

BTW, @JulieAL1969, many, many congrats on saving all that money. You guys should seriously put that money in a special fun/vacation account and do something nice for you. What a great reward for all your hard work!

• SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Progress report on my M-Th AF goal. I had one 5oz glass of chard on Wednesday. That was it! I came home and it was 72 degrees with no humidity. It was the kind of day that I like to sit on the porch and enjoy wine before dinner. Somehow it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. I really think I would have enjoyed my evening better if I had taken a walk and enjoyed the air. BUT it was my best week so far.

Less then perfection does not mean failure. We don't strive for perfection, we strive for progress. Just like weight-loss, the only time you fail is when you quit trying.

My goal for this weekend is just a single bottle. When it's gone, I'm done. A new MFP friend that I'm teaming up with for accountability suggested that I add some type of sparkling water to my wine to stretch it out. Anyone know of a good one that doesn't add fruity flavor or calories, but is not like drinking seltzer water?
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @kittybenn So happy to hear that your son and his girlfriend are trying it again but this time without the alcohol fog. And yes, you're wise, to say to your son, to just be patient and see where this relationship goes AF for awhile. There is no rush to the alter. They should enjoy their relationship on this new level. How nice that will be. You've positively influenced three other people on your moderation journey. Xoxo

I have felt like you recently at a restaurant. Only two out of four of us ordered alcohol, and I felt almost apologetic to the waiter that the bill wouldn't be higher. I'm sure it crossed the waiter's mind for a second, but I think we are more self conscious. They have no idea that we once ordered bottles of wine.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @WinoGelato, yes, I agree with you. I feel like I've "done" Rome and don't care if I never get back there, but I seriously want to live in Florence for at least a month some day. I didn't get blossoms, but zucchini and artichokes were in everything and delicious. They offer fried veggies as an aperitivo, and we avoided those until late in the trip when we decided to see what that was about. They aren't battered like they do fried veggies here, just lightly crisp and SO yummy. I learned that when you order a veggie pizza it is always zucchini, mushrooms, and eggplant.

We walked so many hours every day, I'd like to think the calories evened out, but I haven't dared check that out yet. Hopefully all the walking (and climbing!) did some good. We commented that they certainly couldn't be ADA compliant over there. Back in the 3rd century or the middle ages or even the Renaissance, wheelchairs just weren't a consideration, I guess. I'd recommend that anyone planning a trip to Italy do some hill work in preparation!

I'm dealing with a pretty good head cold right now, so I'm not really wanting to drink but have had a glass of wine every night since I've been home. My plan is to re-calibrate on April 1--Easter and rebirth!

I agree with both of you. Rome was ok and a must see, but only once. Florence was my absolute favorite city in Italy. I concur!
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Made it my 5 days. We'll see what the weekend brigns.
  • RubyRed427
    Options

@cazeidler I totally agree with all the benefits from being AF. Way to go! I am so happy for you.