March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    This morning when I was doing yoga my hamstrings seemed to be particularly tight. All day I have felt like I have a huge knot in my left hamstring. I hate, hate, hate skipping critical workouts, but I am thinking that I might be wise to ditch the speed work tonight in favor of a slow, easy run. I know that I probably CAN do it, but should I???
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent -Unless you have a very recent race that you ran all out, I don't think that you can use race results as an adequate predictor because it seems like you have been training a ton and have probably made huge gains. Didn't you say you have a HM coming up that you would like to race hard? Assuming no unforeseen race day issues, that will probably give you a better prediction of how you can expect to perform in your marathon.

One thing I like about these tables, and how they use HR data, is that I could use training runs to fine tune the numbers. Say I had a good, long easy run that felt really good, and seemed to be representative of my fitness at that point (I wasn't sick, or tired, and it wasn't too hot, or too cold to affect my pace). Then adjust the input race time until I get the pace for my long run to match up with the HR I got on that run. Now I look over to the right for my predicted race time and the distance in question.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Mar 6: 3.1 mi on road

exercise.png

Crazy wind today! Weather was sunny and temperature perfect but the wind would blow you flat over. Yesterday was legs day at the gym, new PR squatting 185, and partly as a result today's 5k time was nothing special. Got it done, nice negative splits.

Trails are underwater at the second park we run at. So now both places where we run trails are underwater. Not sure what I'm going to do next long run day - my legs really appreciate the break from asphalt so I would prefer to run on dirt. I need to scout out some other places to run.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent -Unless you have a very recent race that you ran all out, I don't think that you can use race results as an adequate predictor because it seems like you have been training a ton and have probably made huge gains. Didn't you say you have a HM coming up that you would like to race hard? Assuming no unforeseen race day issues, that will probably give you a better prediction of how you can expect to perform in your marathon.

One thing I like about these tables, and how they use HR data, is that I could use training runs to fine tune the numbers. Say I had a good, long easy run that felt really good, and seemed to be representative of my fitness at that point (I wasn't sick, or tired, and it wasn't too hot, or too cold to affect my pace). Then adjust the input race time until I get the pace for my long run to match up with the HR I got on that run. Now I look over to the right for my predicted race time and the distance in question.

Exactly. I did a lot of playing around with them like this too. It gave me a pretty close prediction for where my race ended up. I thought the estimate was very aggressive so I decided to go out at my goal pace and make up any time at the end if I had anything left in the tank. It turns out that I had just about enough left to get me to where the predictor said I would be.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @shanaber- Listen to your daughter...she is a wise one!

This! :D
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So much nerd candy in those Daniels' Tables. When I was training for (read "obsessed with") my marathon PR, I was addicted to those tables and I found them to be surprisingly accurate based on HR and LT data.

Yes, a week from Saturday I have a half that I plan to try for sub-1:50, but rumor is that it has nasty hills so that could kill all things. Hill do not scare me (just look a the elevations i regularly hit in Strava) but they will cost time.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Exactly. I did a lot of playing around with them like this too. It gave me a pretty close prediction for where my race ended up. I thought the estimate was very aggressive so I decided to go out at my goal pace and make up any time at the end if I had anything left in the tank. It turns out that I had just about enough left to get me to where the predictor said I would be.

As for that table. Not sure how to use it yet, but I filled in the numbers in the little chart in the upper left (age, height, etc) and then added a 13.1 training run for the distance and time spots. Left everything else alone and it predicts a 3:57:41 Marathon.

I need find a couple hours to sit down with the directions and figure it out.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 Regarding shin splints. Everything I've come across says too much too fast. Maybe add more walking in lieu of running?
    ETA How are your running surfaces? Cambored any? Stick to flat and don't run the track same way repeatedly.

Shin splints are horrible. I just find the knot that developed, apply a bit of pressure with two fingers and flex/extend the foot several time. It works the knot out. (Mines always medial, the inside of shin bone.) I think patience wins this injury. Who freekin has time for that, right?

----
    Something y'all probably already know. ...
    I watched Icarus on Netflix last night. It's been know for decades that the Russians cheated/doped in the Olympics. I was surprised that it all finally came out in such detail (I don't watch news). Sad story really, the way it was putin people harm's way.

Good watch if anyone has the time.

Thanks! Been getting the same advice from friends, the interwebs and co-workers. I just didn't think I would be back to this phase. :lol:

I want to see Icarus, especially now that the Olympics have just gone by.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 there is no chest strap with it, just my fitbit watch. I had a polar FT4 I think it was and it was like $50, but that was 6 years ago. My fitbit reads accurately with pretty much every workout except running, If I try and hold my arm fairly still, it reads better, but who runs with 1 stiff arm, haha

This guy, I suppose. I wonder how he tied his shoe laces?

mctng1-b781019527z.120121101112605000gb11b0566.1.jpg?w=620
    hanlonsk wrote: »

From the picture- it kind of looks like he DIDNT tie his shoe laces, or at least didn’t tie the one very well.

I wonder if that's how he broke his arm to begin with.

Well now I just think his goal is a matching pair of casts.
  • garygse
    Options
    @garygse Hope for fast recovery mate!

Thanks man! I took a rest day today and the pain has subsided a lot, so I should be able to get back on things tomorrow with an easy run. One of the group members has an Achilles issue and says she's super slow right now, so I'll have some good company if she's running tomorrow. :smile:
  • garygse
    Options
    @PastorVincent I have faith that you will get that sub-four...dunno why, but I just feel you have it in you.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    0305-5.5k Total-10.5k Goal-80k

Weather's been awful, only the second run of the month! The skies cleared up a bit late last night but by then I didn't really want to venture too far, and ended up running loops around the block. Well, a short run is infinitely better than no run at all.

Stumbled on a copy of a book called "Running on Air" in the bookstore yesterday, skimmed through it and got the gist of it pretty quick. I found the idea of using levels of breathing like gears on a car quite interesting and tried it out last night (mostly to alleviate the boredom). I dunno if it's just me, but I found the pattern of breathing in two steps and out one step quite impossible to use. Could only do it for a few hundred meters before the breathlessness of the whole thing got to me and I'd switch back to 2:2. Maybe has something to do with having a higher cadence.

Anyone heard of the book or its methodologies and tried it out? Am I doing something wrong?

Other note to self: need some new shoes.

Upcoming races:
    03.18 HM Chengdu