March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    Welp. I signed up for the MS Gulf Coast HM in December. Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement!

Woo hoo!!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Can anyone give some advice and guidance on the etiquette for passing and being passed on a single track trail during a race?

@fitoverfortymom Most importantly, start within the right place to avoid this.

Then just consider safety and courtesy to be important.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Can anyone give some advice and guidance on the etiquette for passing and being passed on a single track trail during a race?
    I always am checking 6. If I see another runner coming up fast behind me, I step to the side and let them pass. If you're coming up to someone, call out to them that you are coming. Hopefully they will move out of the way. Most people do. This is for people who aren't competing to place of course... @JessicaMcB and others like her might have different etiquette since it's a it different for them.

@MNLittleFinn this is a good way to trip on a rock or a root. I never rarely look behind me. You can hear people coming up and it's their job to let you know what they want to do. They may want to use you for a pacer, or they may want to pass. Now if you're walking and they're running, obviously they will want to pass but if you're both running, I wouldn't assume they want to pass unless the difference in speed makes it obvious. Move of the fast runners get ahead early so this isn't much of an issue.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    Welp. I signed up for the MS Gulf Coast HM in December. Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement!

Awesome. You got this!
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    @HRKinchen I was just going to encourage you to sign up when I read that you had. Awesome!!

@skippygirlsmom so sorry to hear about your fall. You've had a tough time lately. I'd give you a big hug but that would probably hurt so I clicked the little "Hug" button instead.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

If someone is running close behind you, don't assume they want to pass, they may be using you to pace. I usually say, "Just let me know if you want to pass". half the time they don't. If they want to pass, you don't need to move over immediately if there's no room to step off the trail. As soon as a spot presents itself, step off, offer words of encouragement, and get back to it. You can usually find a spot within 15 seconds.

Do NOT let someone running close behind you make you feel like you have to run faster. You just run your pace and do your thing. It's their job to let you know they want to pass.

If you're the one passing, just say "On your left" (<- most common way to let someone know you want to pass) and be patient as they find a place they can step off. When they step off, thank them, offer words of encouragement, and keep going.

If you don't want to pass but want to use them for pacing, don't run too close behind. They may feel pressured to run faster, or they may step off and you lose your pacer. I have bad problem running too close behind folks when I don't want to pass.

Time your passing. It's irritating to have someone pass you, only to have to pass them because you run up, or down, hills faster than they do. So consider the terrain before you decide to pass. That's going to happen to some extent, but just consider the upcoming terrain before you pass. if you know you're going to walk up that upcoming hill, maybe hold off.

Most of the time, if you are being passed, you will want to step off to your right, so they can pass on your left. This changes when there is too much brush or whatever on your right. Communicate and say, I'm stepping off to the left, you can pass on the right.

The other situation is when running across steep hills (not up or down, but across). Always step off to the uphill side. The passer may not know this rule, so tell them, I'm stepping off to the <right/left> side.

If the course is an out & back, I feel those in the lead always have right of way, so you step off the trail for everyone coming towards you until you get to the turn around. Once you hit the turn around, you should have right of way but not everyone thinks this way so be prepared to step off to get around if you must. One conflict to this rule is that typically, when two people meet going up and down a hill, the one going up hill has right of way since they're fighting gravity and stopping gets them out of a rhythm. But if that downhill person is on the return part of an out and back, and therefore in the lead, then what? When in doubt, I always step off, and I do it soon enough so they clearly know and we don't have the awkward situation like at a 4-way stop when everyone stops, then goes, then stops, etc.

Usually the trails are not closed to other uses during a race. When passing hikers, going the same direction, be sure to give them an earlier warning than you would for a runner. Though the standard thing to say is "on your left", usually a hiker hears "left" and moves to their left, the realizes their mistake and moves to the right..it can get ugly. To avoid the confusion, I just politely say, "Excuse me, can I sneak through?". Let them decide which way to move. If they have headphones or earbuds and can't hear you, say it anyway. If there is no response, repeat louder, then just try to pass them safely and quickly when there's a spot you can do so

When passing hikers going the other way, unless they move off to the side early, I plan on stepping aside for them, since I feel we're intruding on their space more than they're intruding on ours. They usually move out of my way though. <ETA: It's rare I have to step off for approaching hikers. They usually move first>

Key points
    Always pass safely
    Always be polite
    Never assume you have right of way
    If there's any question, communicate your intent and give the other person time to respond.
    Some people will be *kitten*. Don't let them *kitten* on your parade.

This.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom – Goodness! I hope nothing is broken and the soreness goes away soon.
    @PastorVincent – Everyone knows virtual hugs don’t hurt!
    @HRKinchen – Yay!
    @07KatieP13 – Glad you are feeling better.
    @7lenny7 – Thanks for all the trail running etiquette info!
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    If you don't want to pass but want to use them for pacing, don't run too close behind. They may feel pressured to run faster, or they may step off and you lose your pacer. I have bad problem running too close behind folks when I don't want to pass.

Another reason not to run too close behind someone is that it's harder to see rocks & roots that may be ahead. Also, if they fall, you have less time to react and may fall over them.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the trail advice. I guess it's pretty much what I expected, so that's good. This particular race is a loop (which I also prefer). I'm actually really excited to do a practice run there on Friday.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Another reason not to run too close behind someone is that it's harder to see rocks & roots that may be ahead. Also, if they fall, you have less time to react and may fall over them.

I thought fallen runners was just part of what made the trails "technical" :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    My biggest problem when coming up on other runners is if I am SLIGHTLY faster than them. So I am caught between slowing down to stay behind them, or speeding up to pass them and continue to gain ground. If I do not speed up then the tendency is for them to speed up and pass me, creating a leap frog scenario for a while
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    My biggest problem when coming up on other runners is if I am SLIGHTLY faster than them. So I am caught between slowing down to stay behind them, or speeding up to pass them and continue to gain ground. If I do not speed up then the tendency is for them to speed up and pass me, creating a leap frog scenario for a while

A common problem. If the terrain doesn't look like it's going to change, I'll speed up to get well past them. If there's a hill coming up, I'll usually wait until we get to the hill to see how the relative speeds will change.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @lporter1239 thanks I think it will take a best effort and good conditions and the ability to run smart.
    @midwesterner85 my Garmin seems to be more generous on the treadmill if I run at a slow pace. (It's just numbers right ;) )
    @PastorVincent I am going to tell you what you probably already know. Your pace for the first 20 miles should be 8:50 (previous runs suggest that is not pushing it too much and you should have plenty in the tank for the last 10k) This will also give you enough time to struggle and tredge through the last 10k if you are not feeling well at this point. You would only need to average about a 10:30 pace to reach your goal of a sub 4 hour marathon. 10:30 looks to be a recovery pace for you at this point.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I think I am far too polite for running sometimes. My last trail race I was behind people and kept hearing people coming so I waited and waited and waited. I got myself stuck. LOL

I will add what should be an obvious but wasn't in my last race... when doing a single track, don't stop in the middle of the trail because you are afraid of stepping/walking/running down an incline. I almost smacked into the person in front of me and almost had the person behind me smack into me because we all had to suddenly stop because a woman was afraid to keep going down hill (and it wasn't even that bad at that section).

I do wish more people would ask about this kind of stuff in general. Road and trail races would be so much better if everyone knew these general rules.