March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I do wish more people would ask about this kind of stuff in general. Road and trail races would be so much better if everyone knew these general rules.

That's why I'm asking! I don't want to be "that girl."

• fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I'm pretty much expecting to fall down. There's always 1-2 times during my trail runs where I almost eat it on a root or a rock.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I shouldn't laugh, but that's epic.

Roots, Rocks, etc never seem to trip me, it's my own darn feet that always get me..... I guess I need to be watching for them instead....
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @Elise4270 I shouldn't laugh, but that's epic.

Roots, Rocks, etc never seem to trip me, it's my own darn feet that always get me..... I guess I need to be watching for them instead....

Ya welcome. :wink:

Do your cross training kids. You don't want those roots to get you when you're hip flexors tire early! To be fair, it was a virgin running trail, mtn bike trail. Nasty roots. Dumb luck I didn't land on a stab and poke my eyes out (cuz I fell lots).

ETA hey it was good I didn't staub my eyes out
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate the discussion about trail race etiquette! I haven't done a trail race yet but have been looking into a couple of local ones, so it's probably going to happen soon.

Unfortunately due to my bad knee I don't go down steep hills well. I can run down a smooth hill up to a certain incline, but anything that involves leaping or jumping or bounding downhill I need to pick my way down or risk my leg buckling under me. Usually it works out that the easiest way for me to get down (steps or roots) is different from the easiest way for runners to run down (smooth slope) anyway, so we don't interfere with each other, but in crowded conditions I can see that it might well.

Wish everyone on trails knew to respond to "on your left!" I've never had a problem until last week when we encountered a couple of hikers who acted like they owned the park. They were walking slowly, two abreast, on a single foot trail, and when we asked to pass they just looked at us as if we were speaking a different language and carried on. We had to stop completely and say, "Excuse me, could we get through?" before they moved and even then they looked at us like we had grown extra heads or something.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Ooh @skippygirlsmom sorry for the hug but there’s no other button to express my hurt for you!!!

• fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I'm using ear buds less and less overall when I run. Never on trails. Doesn't mean everyone else won't, though.

I *loathe* speaker runners.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    It was supposed to be -7C this afternoon and instead it's -3C and sunny and I really want to get out and do my optional short 2 mile run even though I'd planned to cross-train today... decisions decisions...
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    A couple more bits of trail etiquette, which would seem to be obvious, but apparently not because I seem to come across this every race
    • Do not plug both of your ears with ear buds. If you must have your music, just use one ear bud, not two. You need to hear people.
    • Do not use a mini speaker clipped on to your pack. Nobody wants to hear your music on the trail. No, not one person. Use a single ear bud if you must.

Which leads me to a third rule
    • Don't let idiots take away from the joy of trail running.

All these "rules" all come down to common sense and consideration. Unfortunately not everyone has common sense.

These apply to all races. HATE people who do the speakers. No one else wants to hear your music. And since I only have one ear bud in, I miss parts of my podcast because of your loud music.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I thought "on your left" was standard passing fare. I live in Denver and we have a very busy trail system within the city and suburbs, in addition to many, many hiking and mountain biking areas. Bikers are generally very good about "on your left," or I am noticing more common is a bell (especially for mountain bikers negotiating a hill).

When I went to LA a bit ago...not so much.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom ouch! Gentle hugs and I hope you feel better soon.

@HRKinchen Woot! You've totally got this. Can't wait to hear all about it.

I've just done an easy 10k (on the treadmill seeing as there's another nor' easter currently blowing through) to see how my new shoes feel. I've got a 5k road race at the weekend and didn't want to break the runners' cardinal rule of nothing new on race day. Anyhoo, they feel pretty darn good. I'll get a few more miles on them and then order a couple of extra pairs for stockpiling.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - oh no! I'm so sorry that you fell. That sounds really bad. Big hug! But just a virtual non-painful one.
    @hrkinchen - I was about 60 posts behind so I saw your "I am thinking of signing up for a HM" and then all the "DO ITs!" And I thought that asking in this thread about signing up for a run is like asking a little kid if they want candy. Yes! We are all addicted! Glad you signed up!

3/1 - rest day
    3/2 - 5 miles + Strength training - W6-C
    3/3 - 26 miles cycling
    3/4 - 3 miles + strength training -w6-D
    3/5 - 3.5 miles + strength training W7-A
    3/6 - 4.5 miles
    3/7 - strength training W7-B

exercise.png
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 you mean I shouldn't blast "No Vaseline" at JaJa :D
  • katryan1626
    katryan1626 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wMEXlbK/exercise.png

I think this is my ticker.. hopefully it works
  • mommarobb
    mommarobb Posts: 80 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Does anyone else enjoy running barefoot? I always run barefoot on the treadmill.

exercise.png