March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent +1 for whatever change of clothing you can manage between the half and the 5K.

Last time I did something like this, I ran 8 miles with a pace group, then drove across town to race 4.4 miles in about the temperature you're looking at. But I had a warm store with a heated restroom as the base for the training run; after that, I stripped my long sleeve tech shirt and wind shell (about all I need at that temperature, absent high winds), put on a dry shirt, dry wind shell jacket, and dry hat but left the same tights one. I was fine. But I didn't have to stand around in the weather, which would make it more challenging.

Probably the shoes and tights are least critical, what you wear on your upper body most critical, hat and gloves somewhere in between.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Does Costco count as a workout? Because that's what I did last night lol

@RunsOnEspresso that depends on how many samples you had.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    March goal: Run END-SURE well, stay healthy and enter the final stages of Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 140? I really don't know. Real plan is to follow training and coach's advice well.

3/1- REST
    3/2- 4.3
    3/3- 13.3
    3/4- 14.3
    3/5- REST
    3/6- 7.4
    3/7- 6.7
    3/8- REST
    3/9- 4.2
    3/10- 24.8
    3/11- 11.4
    3/12- REST
    3/13- 9.3
    3/14- 6.7
    3/15- REST

Total: 102

Today's notes: REST day today. When I woke up, I was glad for it, but after getting into the day, I'm feeling ready to run. This is probably a good sign that I'm still adapting well to the training. With my 50k LR next week, and my coach saying that I'll have a 1.5-3 week taper, depending on how this week and next week go, I'm looking at next week probably being peak mileage for the cycle. Things are getting real, really fast. How soon is too soon to start setting aside gear for the big day again??? LOL

2018 races
    3/24- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile
    10/20- Wild Duluth 50k
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Does Costco count as a workout? Because that's what I did last night lol

I say yes.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    ttelmo wrote: »
    Hi. I’m new here and just found this challenge. I don’t know if it’s the right place for me because I’m new to running. I don’t run by distance yet. I use a treadmill on days I don’t do other exercise and go by time. So far in March, I’ve been on the treadmill 222 minutes. That’s 222 more minutes than February.

Last night, I did c25k W4D2 which is about half walking half jogging for 30 minutes. My main goal is to not get injured. Maybe buy some new running shoes, learn how to stretch. I guess I’d like to progress to Week 6 of c25k by the end of the month but I’m in no particular hurry.

Should I look for a beginners forum?

Nope! This thread has everything from budding elite runners, to people who are still thinking about week 1 of c25k. It is a friendly group of people so jump in. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    ttelmo wrote: »
    Hi. I’m new here and just found this challenge. I don’t know if it’s the right place for me because I’m new to running. I don’t run by distance yet. I use a treadmill on days I don’t do other exercise and go by time. So far in March, I’ve been on the treadmill 222 minutes. That’s 222 more minutes than February.

Last night, I did c25k W4D2 which is about half walking half jogging for 30 minutes. My main goal is to not get injured. Maybe buy some new running shoes, learn how to stretch. I guess I’d like to progress to Week 6 of c25k by the end of the month but I’m in no particular hurry.

Should I look for a beginners forum?
    This is an every runner forum, and welcome! If you have any questions about running, feel free to ask. We have people of all experience and ability levels, from folks on C25K like you all the way to Boston marathon qualifying runners and even a professional ultramarathon runner, plus a lot of folks like me who fall in the middle somewhere.

Some unsolicited advice, if you can, go to a running store for shoes, the staff there can really help you get the right fit and help you find what works for you.
  • ttelmo
    ttelmo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I know there are some running stores in the area so I will check them out. I broke my ankle and foot about 10 years ago and even though it was a long time ago, I don’t want to aggravate an old injury. I might even go to a podiatrist but I think he or she will probably just send me to a running store. Thanks again!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @ttelmo It's definitely worth the investment, and there are decent shoes at a number of price points so tell the running store your budget when you go in and you should be set.

And welcome! I will be at my 1 year anniversary of starting C25K in early June and I'm currently training for my first half marathon.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm new to this thread. I'm planning on starting the C25k this evening at a local park in town. Semi silly question, but for those of you who run outside, what do you usually do with your keyset? Do you usually just hold them? I only just decided yesterday to start the program so I don't yet have a phone arm band, and my leggings don't have pockets. I'm already going to be holding my phone while I run and I almost feel as though I'll be more likely to drop it if I'm also concentrating on not dropping my keys too.

Clip to your sports bra? I usually run while my husband is home; the few times I haven't I've either been wearing a jacket because of weather or leggings with pockets. I did used to carry my phone in my hand when I ran through.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    @rainingribbons Also, welcome ;)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm new to this thread. I'm planning on starting the C25k this evening at a local park in town. Semi silly question, but for those of you who run outside, what do you usually do with your keyset? Do you usually just hold them? I only just decided yesterday to start the program so I don't yet have a phone arm band, and my leggings don't have pockets. I'm already going to be holding my phone while I run and I almost feel as though I'll be more likely to drop it if I'm also concentrating on not dropping my keys too.

Welcome! I clip a spare house key inside my hydration belt. I have also put a spare key in a zip lock bag and stuck in my sock when I have been running with out my hydration belt. Some runners put a spare key in their shoelaces, just lace through a hole in the key and tuck it in. So there are many options you just have to be a bit creative. :)

Some of the handheld water bottles have pockets for keys also.
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I live in Florida and it's warm enough here I don't need a jacket. Will definitely have to look into leggings with pockets though! And I didn't even think of sticking an item in there, haha. I'll try that out and see if it works. Thanks!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Unfortunately I live in Florida and it's warm enough here I don't need a jacket. Will definitely have to look into leggings with pockets though! And I didn't even think of sticking an item in there, haha. I'll try that out and see if it works. Thanks!

I wear a Spibelt. I don't run with a phone, but just needed something small to shove my keys into. For longer runs, I can also attach a small water-bottle.

https://spibelt.com
  • bossymom15
    bossymom15 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    3/3 - 3 miles
    3/10 -3.3
    3/12 - 2
    3/14 - 2.25 miles, boy were my legs tired on this run. Windy too.

On the bright side, it is still daylight when I run. Love getting more energy in the evenings with more light.

Bossymom15
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It took me a while to get a setup I was happy with! I use a Nathan brand belt - it is very soft and folds up small when not in use, and has an internal pocket which is credit card sized, and a clip inside.

I clip my keychain on the clip, and put my driver's license, AAA card, and emergency money in the pocket (I have to drive to where I run, and you do not leave stuff in your car there if you want it when you get back.) Then I also have a sterile alcohol wipe, a paper towel to use as a Kleenex, bandaids, lip balm which has sunblock in it, and an emergency roll of Smarties for low blood sugar. I have learned from experience that a wipe and some bandaids is nice for those faceplant situations!

I also have an arm band for my phone, and my favorite leggings are Fila brand from Kohls and have a nice phone sized pocket on the leg. The Nathan belt expands enough to hold the phone if it had to, but I like being able to get to it easily because I use it for GPS.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I usually remove my car key from the rest of my keys and just carry it in my hand, but I don't usually run with my phone. When I do run with my phone, I use a Flipbelt. You barely notice that it's there.
    8zasfc1mc3jv.jpg