March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Does Costco count as a workout? Because that's what I did last night lol

@RunsOnEspresso that depends on how many samples you had.

I never eat the samples. LOL
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm new to this thread. I'm planning on starting the C25k this evening at a local park in town. Semi silly question, but for those of you who run outside, what do you usually do with your keyset? Do you usually just hold them? I only just decided yesterday to start the program so I don't yet have a phone arm band, and my leggings don't have pockets. I'm already going to be holding my phone while I run and I almost feel as though I'll be more likely to drop it if I'm also concentrating on not dropping my keys too.

I recommend an Otterbox Defender series case. Sooner or later, your phone *will* hit the pavement; if it's in an Otterbox, the worst problem you'll have is finding it and interrupting your run to pick it back up.

I put drivers license, medical insurance card, a credit card, and (if driving somewhere to run) my AAA card in a ziplock bag and put that in whatever pocket I might have that zips, or in the hydration belt pouch. If I'm running from home, I have a house key on an elastic band that can go around a wrist; or it might go in a pocket with the cards. If I'm driving somewhere to run, house key and car key go in a ziplock bag in a zipped pocket or the hydration belt pouch. If I'm traveling for a race, the hotel room key goes nicely with the cards.

Phone is normally in an Otterbox, then in a leather case that clips onto the hydration belt. If it's extremely cold, the phone in its Otterbox goes in a ziplock bag, then in a SPIbelt that might also have the cards and keys; the SPIbelt goes just outside my base layer and inside everything else, to keep the phone warm.

Some of what I do will be overkill for C25K; but if you get into longer distances, particularly running solo, it is wise to have a phone, a credit card, ID, and your medical insurance card with you just in case something happens. I've never needed them, but I feel better knowing that if I sprain an ankle I could call a cab and pay for it.

The ziplock bags . . . my drivers license shows wear from having been in my pocket while running before I figured out to put it in a bag. The other cards would probably be fine without the bag. I've got a remote door opener in my car key, and another runner warned me that I don't want to find out the hard way how the electronics will react to being soaked in my sweat. When I had a car with a dumb key, I didn't bother with the ziplock bag for the keys. The phone in its Otterbox could survive sweat and rain; but it's annoying to have to take the Otterbox apart to wipe out the moisture so I can use the touch screen again.

I may be just a little paranoid; but that doesn't keep me from running on the roads.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    March goal: 96 miles

3/1: 5 miles
    3/4: 9 miles
    3/6: 4.1 miles
    3/7: 4.6 miles
    3/8: 5 miles
    3/11: 10.5 miles
    3/13: 5 miles (intervals)
    3/14: 5.2 miles
    3/15: 3 miles

51.4/96 miles completed

I got 3 very windy miles in today. The weather should have been perfect, but 22 mph winds just suck. All in all it was a nice run though.

@ttelmo Welcome! This is the perfect forum for you. You do not need to set a distance goal. Your goal can be to run 3 days per week or for X number of minutes per day or whatever you prefer. Many of us on here started with C25K.

@rainingribbons I use a flipbelt and it has a place to clip your keys. I usually use a carabiner clip and clip it to the clip on the flibelt because it is easier for me than the small plastic clip on the flipbelt. You could also use a carabiner to clip to your bra. And I usually just take whichever key I need and not the whole set. So if I run from the house I just take my house key and if I drive somewhere to run I just take my car fob. Since I use a carabiner I just have all my keys hooked to that and it is pretty easy. I would also recommend a flipbelt. I use it to carry my phone, keys, a hankie and a small water bottle that is made to go with it.

exercise.png

ETA I know it will eventually catch up, but I hate it when the ticker is slow to update.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    March Running Totals (miles)
    3/1 – 5.57 easy
    3/2 – rest day
    3/3 – 16.09 paced run
    3/4 – 7.22 easy with hills
    3/5 – rest day
    3/6 – 6.21 easy with fast finish
    3/7 – 6.60 group run
    3/8 – 6.24 easy with fast finish
    3/9 – rest day
    3/10 – 18.07 paced run
    3/11 – 6.54 easy
    3/12 – rest day
    3/13 – 6.51 warmup and group run
    3/14 – 6.01 at marathon pace
    3/15 – 6.23 easy

March running total to date – 91.29

Nominal challenge goal: 180 miles

Real goals: Build base. Work toward being able to run 26.2 miles by Patriots' Day.

Today's notes – Yesterday was planned as an easy run; but the wind felt cold enough that I just couldn't slow down, and MP is about what it averaged. Today the wind was milder, and I was much more successful moderating my pace. It looked a bit fast at 7:44 per mile average; but the HR data says I mostly took it easy (53% Zone 1, 44% Zone 2, max HR 146, average HR 129), so I'll call it easy.

Travel day tomorrow, I don't expect to have time to run. But that's okay, because tomorrow should be a rest day anyway. Saturday the plan is to race hard, but try not to kill myself. I don't expect to match last year's PR 8K effort, even though the weather forecast is favorable.

2018 races:
    February 17, 2018 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) finished in 54:48
    February 24, 2018 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) finished in 28:46
    March 17, 2018 USATF Masters 8K (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA)
    March 24, 2018 Spring Forward 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 16, 2018 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Hi guys! I'm new to this thread. I'm planning on starting the C25k this evening at a local park in town. Semi silly question, but for those of you who run outside, what do you usually do with your keyset? Do you usually just hold them? I only just decided yesterday to start the program so I don't yet have a phone arm band, and my leggings don't have pockets. I'm already going to be holding my phone while I run and I almost feel as though I'll be more likely to drop it if I'm also concentrating on not dropping my keys too.

I recommend an Otterbox Defender series case. Sooner or later, your phone *will* hit the pavement; if it's in an Otterbox, the worst problem you'll have is finding it and interrupting your run to pick it back up.

I put drivers license, medical insurance card, a credit card, and (if driving somewhere to run) my AAA card in a ziplock bag and put that in whatever pocket I might have that zips, or in the hydration belt pouch. If I'm running from home, I have a house key on an elastic band that can go around a wrist; or it might go in a pocket with the cards. If I'm driving somewhere to run, house key and car key go in a ziplock bag in a zipped pocket or the hydration belt pouch. If I'm traveling for a race, the hotel room key goes nicely with the cards.

Phone is normally in an Otterbox, then in a leather case that clips onto the hydration belt. If it's extremely cold, the phone in its Otterbox goes in a ziplock bag, then in a SPIbelt that might also have the cards and keys; the SPIbelt goes just outside my base layer and inside everything else, to keep the phone warm.

Some of what I do will be overkill for C25K; but if you get into longer distances, particularly running solo, it is wise to have a phone, a credit card, ID, and your medical insurance card with you just in case something happens. I've never needed them, but I feel better knowing that if I sprain an ankle I could call a cab and pay for it.

The ziplock bags . . . my drivers license shows wear from having been in my pocket while running before I figured out to put it in a bag. The other cards would probably be fine without the bag. I've got a remote door opener in my car key, and another runner warned me that I don't want to find out the hard way how the electronics will react to being soaked in my sweat. When I had a car with a dumb key, I didn't bother with the ziplock bag for the keys. The phone in its Otterbox could survive sweat and rain; but it's annoying to have to take the Otterbox apart to wipe out the moisture so I can use the touch screen again.

I may be just a little paranoid; but that doesn't keep me from running on the roads.

Otterboxes are great but can be bulky. I have a spigen and it doesn't add a ton of bulk but great protection. I've dropped my phones on cement and tile (facedown) and screen is perfect still.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I like to get shorts/leggings with pockets when I can, but only if they are snug like tights, and not loose shorts with floppy pockets. Otherwise I use a flip belt which works for my phone, keys, tissues, gels, etc.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Otterboxes are great but can be bulky. I have a spigen and it doesn't add a ton of bulk but great protection. I've dropped my phones on cement and tile (facedown) and screen is perfect still.

I am firm believer in the Lifeproof line of cases. Fully water proof in addition to shock/dust/impact proof. But cases are like shoes... everyone has their favorites :D
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

I am firm believer in the Lifeproof line of cases. Fully water proof in addition to shock/dust/impact proof. But cases are like shoes... everyone has their favorites :D

Second life proof cases. After I broke my first iPhone, my new iPhone is in a life proof case. It’s bulky and ugly, but I know it won’t break and supposedly will survive getting soaked.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

Second life proof cases. After I broke my first iPhone, my new iPhone is in a life proof case. It’s bulky and ugly, but I know it won’t break and supposedly will survive getting soaked.

I have taken my iPhone on water slides using Lifeproof and shot under water photos with it. It is much thiner and lighter than the Otterbox line (same company makes both). I actually like the size, it makes it easier to hold the phone. Dang thing is too slippery other wise. :D
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso Costco...the only place where I can go to buy a gallon of milk, and come out $300 later with a new ping-pong table and no milk.

@rainingribbons I used to use the Flipbelt like @lporter229 and @katharmonic suggested, but it would get drenched in sweat. I now use this Fitletic belt, and while it's definitely more sweat-resistant, I still put everything in small plastic bags just in case; that latest phone may be waterproof, but I guarantee you it's not going to be sweatproof!

Today's run was another one of those where I run several miles solo, and my heart-rate is low, only for it to shoot through the roof when running even easier with the group. In fact, after running with the group, I ran a much faster final mile, and my HR was still lower than it was when running with the group. I just don't get it!

02 - 27.37
    05 - 15.59
    07 - 11.93
    08 - 12.05
    09 - 30.21
    12 - 14.57
    13 - 13.02
    14 - 15.22
    15 - 12.96

Total: 152.92 / 250 miles
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options

I bought a roadID pouch that goes on my shoe to hold them. It also fits my ID. I also have a wrist wallet and leggings with pockets in the waist band. Happy shopping!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    6 miles strides on treadmill tonight:

exercise.png
  • danniej312
    danniej312 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ok so we went away for family vacation. I never had time to run unfortunately and took too many days off. Came back, ran and failed miserably. I could barely make the mile. I pushed. It was so painful. My leg was burning and it was so stiff, on the verge of a charlie horse. So I took yesterday off. I tried again today. Same problem but I pushed to 30 minutes and walked more than ran. I feel like I’ve lost all 8 weeks I’ve been running and I feel like I’m back to day one. I’m so disappointed and my race is less than 4 weeks away. I’m going to push myself and hopefully get back to where I was.

I think I’ve failed to meet my 62 mile goal this month too.

17.19/62 miles

Upcoming races:
    Orphan Run 4 Hope 5k: April 14
    Spartan Sprint: December 9

mon8mkhq2rzb.jpeg
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @danniej312 - family time is what is most important anyway! You know that old saying ... what will I be thankful for in the end? not working or running a certain number in a month but spending time with family/friends!
    That being said .... omg I might not meet my monthly goal either! :smile:
    But I've increased my strength training which is really showing results so I'm okay too.

On the subject of what we carry: I carry a phone in a spibelt. Used to use a flipbelt but decided I like the SpiBelt better. I took pictures of my license, AAA card and Ins card so don't carry those anymore, unless I am driving to a run. I don't carry house keys. I realize as I type this, if I'm unconscious :scream: then I wouldn't be able to get to my pictures. I was thinking of if I needed them while conscious. hmmmm.

3/1 - rest day
    3/2 - 5 miles + Strength training - W6-C
    3/3 - 26 miles cycling
    3/4 - 3 miles + strength training -w6-D
    3/5 - 3.5 miles + strength training W7-A
    3/6 - 4.5 miles
    3/7 - strength training W7-B
    3/8 - 4.5 miles + strength training W7-C
    3/9 - REST DAY!
    3/10 - 3.2 miles + strength training W7-D
    3/11 - 51 miles cycling
    3/12 - rest day
    3/13 -10K for the Run for the Deep + Strength training W8-C
    3/14 - Strength training W8-D
    3/15 - 4.5 miles w/tabatas
    3/16 - Strength training W8-A

exercise.png
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    beaten by the snooze this am. Rest day before race tomorrow isn't a bad idea. Starting to feel the nerves and adrenaline already.
    @PastorVincent just wondering what are your expectations on the 5k and 1 mile run if you're running the half at race pace? From all it looks like a 20 mile day for you, you can't expect to do most of that at faster than your marathon pace.