March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,747 Member
    Options
    We got a little bit of snow last night but there was also ice on the streets and sidewalk so no run today. Instead, I did a mile warm-up on the treadmill and then the Runners World - Iron Strength for Runners workout.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    3/1 - Rest / sick
    3/2 - Rest / sick
    3/3 - 4.25 miles. Beautiful day to run!
    3/4 - 4.5 miles. Wanted to do more, but ran out of gas.
    3/5 - Rest.
    3/6 - 4 treadmill miles. Trek class with a new instructor. She really likes inclines.
    3/7 - 4 treadmill miles.
    3/7 - Kids wanted to go to Y after dinner. So I did 30 minutes of weights and abs.
    3/8 - 4.1 treadmill miles. Trek class. Fewer hills, lots of tempo...fun!
    3/9 - Rest / travel day.
    3/10 - 3.1 treadmill miles, then quick strength. Rickety hotel treadmill.
    3/11 - Rest / travel day.
    3/12 - 6.2 miles. Gorgeous afternoon to run.
    3/13 - Unplanned rest day.
    3/14 - 4 treadmill miles, then upper body weights and abs.

34.15/80

@skippygirlsmom - Oh no! I hope that you at least feel better soon. What did the doc say about other exercise?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    March goal: Run END-SURE well, stay healthy and enter the final stages of Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 140? I really don't know. Real plan is to follow training and coach's advice well.

3/1- REST
    3/2- 4.3
    3/3- 13.3
    3/4- 14.3
    3/5- REST
    3/6- 7.4
    3/7- 6.7
    3/8- REST
    3/9- 4.2
    3/10- 24.8
    3/11- 11.4
    3/12- REST
    3/13- 9.3

Total: 95.3

Today's notes: another 1 hour E run that, of course ended up being a bit harder than E. got in 6.7 miles for 9:00 pace. Looking at less than a month until my race now and the freak out is real. Coach says everything is going well, but I'm always wondering.....

Have a Runderful day everyone!

2018 races
    3/24- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile
    10/20- Wild Duluth 50k
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @PastorVincent thanks for sharing on your OM experience. I am looking at getting the one you have, since I'm a bottle guy, and I need something that is a bit smaller than my full vest, for the summer months when I'll want less pack on me.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Trail Runners - stumbled on this Running Trail Directory. Haven't investigated it very much - Looks like a work in progress that offers up some trail options for those traveling. Hope I can just load a Garmin straight into it after a run.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Overall not a great week for work, but a pretty good week for running. Didn't go out this morning, but planning on attacking a trail while my son is at soccer tonight. Not usually a fan of DST, but his practice is right near my regular trails and the extra evening light will make it safe/possible, so I figure a quick few miles on trail is better than slogging through a cold morning run.

Also, I indeed threw caution to the wind and signed up for the 25k (vs 10k) of my first trail race. This will mean some longer long runs the next four weeks, but I'm good with that!

Welcome to the club of crazy. I did basically the same thing with my first trail races. nothing like jumping in with both feet.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom -Oh my gosh, you are definitely one tough cookie! But please listen to you doctor. There will be other half marathons. Plenty of them. You only have one body, so take care of it. You need to be running along side Skip when you are 80!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom big hugs. 4 broken ribs, wow!! While I might get a second opinion, I'd listen to what the doc says. No point is risking long term problems for short term satisfaction.
    @juliet3455 That trail run project website looks like it's improved from when I last looked through it. Thanks for posting the link. There's a companion app you can get which I used to have but didn't bother loading on my newest phone. I'll have to download it again and see if it's improved as well.
    @fitoverfortymom good job signing up for the 25k!
    @zdyb23456 that stomach bugs sounds awful!!
    @kevaasen I see all manner of hydration vests being used in traces...Nathan, Salomon, Ultimate Direction, Orange Mudd...I think it's like running shoes, what works for others may not work for you. If you have stores near you which carry these, try them on, load them up with some weight, and see if they'll let you run around the parking lot for a while. I ended up getting the Ultimate Direction SJ Ultra 3.0 vest. I'm very happy with it but there's no way to know if it would work for you.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    5 miles last night, solo. I had to rush it so I could be home when my oldest son came back from college on spring break. I beat him to the door by about a minute.

The run was a slog for the first mile or so, more so than usual. I felt really tired from lack of sleep and did NOT want to run. About half way through it got better and ended up as a fairly decent run.

These are treacherous days for running in Minnesota. We're going through a freeze/thaw cycle so by the time I run at night, all the days melt is freezing back up. Nearly fell a few times but managed to stay upright.

March Miles - 62

It will be a struggle to get my miles in this week with my son home. I just don't want to miss any minute I can get with him. I might have to get my *kitten* out of bed earlier and run before work tomorrow.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    These are treacherous days for running in Minnesota. We're going through a freeze/thaw cycle so by the time I run at night, all the days melt is freezing back up. Nearly fell a few times but managed to stay upright.
    Yeah, this time sucks. Add to that the fact that a lot of trails are gettng messy, making for less running, and this is my least favorite time of year as far as road/trail conditions.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent thanks for sharing on your OM experience. I am looking at getting the one you have, since I'm a bottle guy, and I need something that is a bit smaller than my full vest, for the summer months when I'll want less pack on me.

I am planning a full review - just waiting until I summer to see how it does with my sleeveless top. I have worn it on a bunch of runs already (despite not needing water) as a test, and so far so good.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Dang internet....I’ll have to update my ticker once my laptop decides to connect. Wanted to get in 13 miles today but when my alarm went off at 1:30 I hit snooze. My first thought was why the hell is my alarm going off. Lol. Got out the door about 3 and was able to knock down 10.51 miles.

Getting up at 0130 would be epic. Getting up at 0300 is still pretty awesome. That's about an hour before I get up for my weekday runs. Great job!

Y'all are awesome... I struggle getting up at 0630 for my weekday runs (I work a creative job and nobody raises an eyebrow when I come sauntering in at 1030). Earliest I ever got up for running was 0330 for a summer trail run at dawn with a bunch of crazy people. My hat goes off to anybody who gets up before 7 consistently.

My hat goes off to those people that get up early every morning and get it done too. But that in and of itself is not what makes you a badass, committed runner. What makes you a badass, committed runner is getting it done everyday, whenever and however you have to. That is why everyone on this thread is a badass, committed runner in my book!

YES. THIS.

I happen to get up early and run, because that's what my schedule allows. Making it happen is what's important, whatever that looks like for you.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I feel so fortunate with the La Nina weather this year, Denver has been very dry. Most weekends that would have people in the mountains skiing, have them in the foothills running and biking. I've been able to do trail runs far more than I expected, and now that I have better footwear, I can do even more on trail with a variety of weather.

I love the Altra Lone Peaks. Great cushioning and I really enjoy the zero drop. So much that when I make it in to get new road shoes, I'm going to get zero drop on those, too.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,747 Member
    Options
    Today's notes: another 1 hour E run that, of course ended up being a bit harder than E. got in 6.7 miles for 9:00 pace. Looking at less than a month until my race now and the freak out is real. Coach says everything is going well, but I'm always wondering.....

What is an "E" run? You will do great with your race - trust the plan!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    3/1 6.86miles
    3/2 rest
    3/3 10miles
    3/4 rest
    3/5 6.57miles
    3/6 5miles
    3/7 6miles
    3/8 5miles
    3/9 10miles
    3/10 4miles
    3/11 rest
    3/12 4miles
    3/13 5.2miles
    3/14 5.35miles

Well, my Garmin FR 235 won't let me upload workouts to my watch right now :neutral:
    I checked the forums and it seems to be an issue and not something with just my watch. So I had to use my phone timer to do my strides. It worked ok, but it's much easier when my watch buzzes to tell me to start and buzzes to tell me to recover.

Oh well. I'm spoiled :smile:

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »

What is an "E" run? You will do great with your race - trust the plan!

easy effort.... I'm not so good at that....LOL.... I think my effort was right on the border of easy and moderate