What Is A Fitness Goal You Have That You Don't Typically Share?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2018
    goatg wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Good luck with that! (little bit tongue in cheek, mostly sincere)

A lot of tongue, I'm sure! It's an addiction, no doubt.
    And the feeling of not getting winded...Being able to go for an easy long run that most people train months for....It feels great.

I'm not sure you can be a triathlete, even a weekend age-grouper, without at least some obsessive tendencies.

Says the guy who was up at 4:45 this morning to get in some base miles on the trainer...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited March 2018
    Stan: I'm so going to attempt this pose when I go back to the gym, later.
    Any advice? ;p

(ps- I fall well)

1. How long can you do static 2 hand hold
    2. be patient, walk your hands in and feet out.... Keep shoulders as packed as possible
    3. for your first attempt, use a doorway or pillar if available to get a feel for how the balance feels and to side brace. For second attempt/subsequent, do navel tap, and progressively tap slower until you're holding the pose
    4. if you fall, it will be sideways, or straight down(fail/injury)
    5. be careful, be patient
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I don't really do New Years resolutions, but that was essentially my 2018 resolution. For me, it's more about having more balance and not getting hung up on XXX miles per week, doing different things, etc...

Makes perfect sense. I almost feel like you'd have to engage in a long taper, and congratulate yourself for reductions.

It hasn't been too bad since one of the reasons was just cramming too much in..or trying to cram too much into life. With both of my kids in school now, they need help with homework and projects...they're both involved in youth athletics as well and I help coach my 2nd graders flag football team, so I've had things to keep me busy and I'm not feeling so obligated to get out there and do that 20 mile ride or whatever.

I decided I wasn't going to do anything more than 1/4 century events this year either...they're fun and easily doable with a good base of general fitness...I've long loved to ride, but the last bit of 2017 a lot of rides started feeling like a chore...I'm enjoying them more again and bought a rower to supplement and do something else from time to time. My dog is also getting walked more which is good for her.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Good luck with that! (little bit tongue in cheek, mostly sincere)

A lot of tongue, I'm sure! It's an addiction, no doubt.
    And the feeling of not getting winded...Being able to go for an easy long run that most people train months for....It feels great.

I'm not sure you can be a triathlete, even a weekend age-grouper, without at least some obsessive tendencies.

Says the guy who was up at 4:45 this morning to get in some base miles on the trainer...

Ha,ha. Very true. I'm now a slave to both Garmin and Training Peaks. Any day's workout(s) that are not completed and synced to TP will turn RED the next day in the TP calendar. I just CANNOT let that happen.

It's sad, really. :)
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    It hasn't been too bad since one of the reasons was just cramming too much in..or trying to cram too much into life.

I think this is the grand irony of human life - there is so much to experience that you want to try to do it all, but in order to enjoy those things you have to slow down and relax.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member

Ha! Just saw this. :) You and I were up at the same time.

(Workout hours yesterday: hours sleep last night is 1:1. Hate days like this)
  • goatg

1. How long can you do static 2 hand hold
    2. be patient, walk your hands in and feet out.... Keep shoulders as packed as possible
    3. for your first attempt, use a doorway or pillar if available to get a feel for how the balance feels and to side brace. For second attempt/subsequent, do navel tap, and progressively tap slower until you're holding the pose
    4. if you fall, it will be sideways, or straight down(fail/injury)
    5. be careful, be patient

2-3 seconds on a good day :/ (with feet together)

Trust me, I will definitely be using a wall :)

And I'll do my best not to fall straight down.

And if I'm looking any better than I'm currently feeling, I'll try to take a picture at some point :)

Thank you!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Okay, so maybe my standards are a little lower than ya'll, but:
    * to walk up the stairs to my third floor office without my knee giving out
    aeloine wrote: »
    To do a push up
    To do a pull up
    To do a split

Just one of each is fine with me.

Ok, I want to call out both of you.

While possibly lower than some of the other goals on this thread, yours are the ones that are the most meaningful and far reaching. Lofty goals are admirable, but simple goals that truly make life and you more healthy and effective are inspiring.

Thanks

Aww why you so sweet tho?
  • goatg
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Ha,ha. Very true. I'm now a slave to both Garmin and Training Peaks. Any day's workout(s) that are not completed and synced to TP will turn RED the next day in the TP calendar. I just CANNOT let that happen.

Seriously. I hate the red.
  • goatg

It hasn't been too bad since one of the reasons was just cramming too much in..or trying to cram too much into life. With both of my kids in school now, they need help with homework and projects...they're both involved in youth athletics as well and I help coach my 2nd graders flag football team, so I've had things to keep me busy and I'm not feeling so obligated to get out there and do that 20 mile ride or whatever.

I decided I wasn't going to do anything more than 1/4 century events this year either...they're fun and easily doable with a good base of general fitness...I've long loved to ride, but the last bit of 2017 a lot of rides started feeling like a chore...I'm enjoying them more again and bought a rower to supplement and do something else from time to time. My dog is also getting walked more which is good for her.

That makes perfect sense. You should be really proud about that choice :) It's important to remind ourselves of non-fitness goals (and the added benefit to the lives of ones we care about).
  • goatg
    I think this is the grand irony of human life - there is so much to experience that you want to try to do it all, but in order to enjoy those things you have to slow down and relax.

1000 lifetimes wouldn't be enough.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I just want "my" body back. Unfortunately, thanks to a desk job, my way of getting there is going to be dramatically different than it used to be when I was there before.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    yoliyoda wrote: »
    1. Learn to swim (almost 40 and I still don't know how)
    2. Be able to do a pull-up and a chinup
    3. Increase my flexibility
    4. Fit into a dress my husband bought me about 7 years ago

I love that one! So brave!
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Human flag

Me too
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Regularly keep my resting heart rate <50
    Move my Vo2 max up higher than 54 (current max)
    Complete a sprint and Olympic Triathlon this year

If I shared those goals with my friends and acquaintances I would just get blank stares in return, lol.