"Americans Exercise More....Obesity Rates Still Climbing"

Options
14567810»

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    In studies, they find that adaptive thermogenesis that occurs from extreme deficits for a long time doesn't reset in a few years. But they are smaller than a lot of people think. They have been as high as 500 calories, but that was for extremely obese patients who had maintenance calories above 3000 to start with. I think I damaged mine from losing too quickly for a while, but I think I am maybe 150 below what I should be.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP I was 5'3" weighed 254 lbs and (given that I told MFP I wanted to lose 1lb/week and it started me on 1720 calories), maintained on 2220. I now weigh 153 lbs and, because there's less of me, I maintain on 1650. That's not my body adapting to being in a deficit. That's my body being smaller and needing less fuel to function.

Im guessing you are not very active or you maintenance would be higher...right? If you are very sedentary that makes sense I guess. Otherwise 1650 to maintain would suck for me anyways...lol

Those are my sedentary calories. I actually do exercise quite a bit, but it's purposeful exercise and it can vary. So, I'm set to sedentary, but in actuality, I eat back 50% of what MFP tells me I burn from walking and strength training and usually take in 400-500 calories on top of that.

Yes, i would be the same if i was sedentary. But since my job keeps me on my feet a lot my maintenance is about 2250, before my "gym" calories are even added.
    But good job on your weight loss!!i hope to be as successful and keep it off.