"Americans Exercise More....Obesity Rates Still Climbing"

Options

Replies

• scribbles2art
    scribbles2art Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My best friend has watched me lose weight more than once. I've offered to teach her how to cook for herself (instead of eating high calorie fast food) and just recently after starting this journey yet again I've tried to get her to understand the importance of counting calories. She refuses to watch what she eats and insists she can lose weight by exercise alone. Everytime I've gained back weight it's because I stopped watching what I eat.

This time my goal is to get my weight down and never come back up and I want her to go on this journey with me for her own health and happiness. She just won't listen and I don't know how to get through to her.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    My best friend has watched me lose weight more than once. I've offered to teach her how to cook for herself (instead of eating high calorie fast food) and just recently after starting this journey yet again I've tried to get her to understand the importance of counting calories. She refuses to watch what she eats and insists she can lose weight by exercise alone. Everytime I've gained back weight it's because I stopped watching what I eat.

This time my goal is to get my weight down and never come back up and I want her to go on this journey with me for her own health and happiness. She just won't listen and I don't know how to get through to her.

You may never be able to get through to her. She is a person independent of you. Nagging will probably only dissuade her from changing. Maybe just lead by example and answer questions as they come up (even if you have to repeat yourself many times.)
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    When I started MFP I was 5'3" weighed 254 lbs and (given that I told MFP I wanted to lose 1lb/week and it started me on 1720 calories), maintained on 2220. I now weigh 153 lbs and, because there's less of me, I maintain on 1650. That's not my body adapting to being in a deficit. That's my body being smaller and needing less fuel to function.

Im guessing you are not very active or you maintenance would be higher...right? If you are very sedentary that makes sense I guess. Otherwise 1650 to maintain would suck for me anyways...lol
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I can back this up with personal experience. My weight gain happened when I injured my back and was bedridden for a while. I made the mistake of continuing to eat the same, but was not getting ANY exercise, not even the normal day to day activity that everyone does. I naively assumed it would come back off when I became fitter and more mobile. However, getting active again didn't shift the weight. The only thing that worked was restricting my calories.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP I was 5'3" weighed 254 lbs and (given that I told MFP I wanted to lose 1lb/week and it started me on 1720 calories), maintained on 2220. I now weigh 153 lbs and, because there's less of me, I maintain on 1650. That's not my body adapting to being in a deficit. That's my body being smaller and needing less fuel to function.

Wow, that's a heck of a loss. Congrats and way to inspire and work hard.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Here's the post that started this whole tangent.
    In 1998, the BMI changed. https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4890841/

Now, your BMI was 30 or higher, you were considered obese.

The argument here seems to be that obesity rates are climbing only because the BMI was changed. If I am misunderstanding that, please clarify. I don't think that's true, but I don't want to put words in your mouth or misunderstand something you did not intend to communicate.

As support of that, you said:

My husband weighs 210 and is 5'9" and he's not obese. [/quote]

Did the change even affect this? I know the definition of overweight changed, but am not aware if the definition of obese did. Anyway, the argument that was made -- and NO, it was not mansplaining -- was that this IS obese (31 BMI) unless he has above average muscle mass, and some indicators were given (bench press) as to how to determine if that was likely.

I'm not sure why injecting someone's measurements into the discussion was relevant anyway, as there's really no debate I'm aware of that average BMI has increased (whatever the assumed BMI definition, which yes is not perfect).
    I'm 5'7" and 272 lbs. and I can be considered MORBIDLY obese. I have no CPAP machine, no oxygen, and I don't even snore. I have no back problems (fingers crossed) with my petsitting job I get plenty of exercise (I'll do more focused exercise at the gym) and having a pitbull lunging and having to carry him away (90 lbs. of dog). The shopping cart has been a little healthier lately, but I have Cheetos, potato chips, and chocolate cake (for my husband's birthday!).

I'm not sure why this is relevant -- I think some assumed you were arguing that you are not obese, but I don't think you were. (In other threads you blamed sugar for your T2D, but weight seems a likely culprit.)

I think maybe you are saying you exercise and yet are overweight due to how much you are eating, which is consistent with the thread.
    Getting more exercise to me, I have a healthy part in my life. Even if I didn't have very healthy habits, I exercised. I do enough exercise and I will be considering what I eat. I know that I eat about 1500-1700 calories when I am exercising. I fight away my depression and even lingering effects of my stroke with my exercise.

Exercise is great, yes -- did you think people were saying it wasn't important?