Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Hermesonly wrote: »
    It is my understanding that since this question was posted in the "Debate" thread, that this is a debate, so there's no reason to become upset simply because I do not happen to agree with the OP and other posters, that weight loss is all about CICO. The question posed was, in fact, "Why Do People Deny CICO?" Several posters have implied that anyone (including forward thinking doctors and nutritionists) who thinks weight loss is more complex than "Calories In Calories Out" is either delusional or lazy. If that is the case, then much current research is being done by delusional scientists.

The point that current research makes is that CICO matters, certainly, but it is only one of many complex elements that determine weight gain, weight loss and fat storage. And yes, like most body systems, it is complex. If the OP can simply cut back on calories and not only lose, but maintain weight loss, then that's marvelous. However, as 7 out of 10 adults in the United States are overweight or obese, it stands to reason that perhaps others do not find losing weight and maintaining weight loss through simple calorie counting quite so easy.

It also stands to reason that not all of those people who find it difficult to lose and maintain their weight are lazy, stupid, undisciplined, or just "don't get" how easy it is to calorie count. Many people who are overweight are quite disciplined and accomplished in every other area of their lives, so perhaps, as the new research has shown, it's not just a simple case of folks not applying themselves to the task. Perhaps rather than blaming those who are overweight because they can't get their CICO under control, it's more accurate to blame antiquated ways of thinking about weight gain and weight loss.

Doctors and nutritionists used to be absolutely convinced (and some still are) that Type 2 Diabetes could not be reversed. They are quickly being proven wrong. People who have had difficulty losing weight for much of their lives are now applying this new research and finding methods that work with the body's systems to control insulin spikes, overcome insulin resistance, manage the impact of cortisol, leptin and ghrelin, and other hormones, and not only lose weight, but reverse Type 2 Diabetes as well. As angry as people get when others dare to buck old ideas and old systems, often it's the path forward. CICO as an all-encompassing explanation for weight gain and weight loss, is getting left in the dust.

Not really--I would say that "correct calorie counting" is hard to do. THAT is the problem with CICO calorie counting, not that it's irrelevent. As for the obesity epidemic, the media is not pushing calorie counting--no profit to be made. It's easier to say it doesn't work, but hey, you can lose 10 lbs in a week easy if you just buy this magazine or book or whatever, and find out how.

FIFY

CICO is not a diet. It happens internally, inside your body, no matter what you are doing on the outside.

I KNOW that. The poster is bashing CICO and calorie counting uses CICO (as does any diet) to be successful.
  • BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    RivenV wrote: »
    "heat production, bone building, muscle production, cognition, detoxification, breathing, excretion, fat production...and the list goes on."

Part of CO, part of CO, part of CO, part of CO,...

giphy.gif

I think we can all agree--you can't triple stamp a double stamp (Lloyd!).

giphy.gif