Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Hermesonly wrote: »
    How can you post this^^ and still support your previous statement? :|

Because, as I previously posted, the significant flaw in that thinking is that physics is not physiology. Thermodynamics has minimal relevance to human biology. The human body is not, in fact, a closed or isolated system. The body can use input calories for any of a number of possible outputs--heat production, bone building, muscle production, cognition, detoxification, breathing, excretion, fat production...and the list goes on. To believe the thermodynamic model, you'd have to assume that fat gain or loss is controlled by eating and essentially otherwise unregulated by the body. This makes no sense, and it is what has prompted all of the current research. There is absolutely no body system that is unregulated, not one. The sympathetic, parasympathetic, respiratory, circulatory, renal, adrenal, gastrointestinal etc. systems are all under absolutely precise hormonal control. So why then would the body also not have multiple hormonal systems that precisely control body weight? Of course it does, and we know that now. We know more now about the effects cortisol, insulin, leptin and ghrelin. We know more now about insulin resistance and its effect on weight gain over time. We know about homeostasis and how it makes the long-term maintenance of weight loss achieved through simple calorie cutting almost impossible.

In the Ancel Keys Minnesota study, calories had to be continuously reduced to achieve a target total weight loss of 24 percent. Some of the men ended up getting less than 1,000 calories a day. Apparently even Dr. Keys was surprised at the difficulty of the experiment. Among the problems were that the resting metabolic rate of the subjects dropped by 40 percent. Their heart rate slowed, heart stroke volume decreased, body temperature dropped, they became tired and they lost their hair. Before the study, the men ate an average of 3,000 calories a day. When calories decreased to cause weight loss, their bodies responded by reducing energy expenditure accordingly. The body has to do this. It's smart and it wants us to live. This is one reason why maintaining weight loss through simple calorie cutting is so difficult.

Ok, I'll bite. So if CICO is flawed, what specifically do you recommend overweight/obese individuals do in order to achieve their weight loss goals? You keep talking about how much more complex things are and how for some people it's just harder than others, so what do these people who think they've tried CICO (again, not that it is something to "try" but I'm going along with your argument to see what you recommend) and failed time and again need to do in order to be successful?

From listening to some of these CICO deniers talk, one would think that weight loss isn't even a possible thing. Just can't be done.

It seems like people have read this and believe it

https://www.theonion.com/new-study-finds-it-is-impossible-to-lose-weight-no-one-1819575105

*snort* Unfortunately, you're probably right - just going by Snopes it's discouraging how many people don't recognize the Onion is a satire site and apparently are unable to distinguish humor from science. :'(

Obviously The Onion is a joke, but when you listen to people who claim CICO doesn't work, or people who say despite a strict diet and exercise they can't lose a pound and never have been able to, it always makes me think of this article. Makes me laugh ever damn time I read it. I just thought it was time it throw it in here and give a few others a chuckle also.

The best comedy is rooted in truth. I think of the masters like George Carlin and Mel Brooks and their ability to tackle the most taboo elements of society and lampoon them.

Almost comical the amount of effort that people will put in to make excuses, when the solution is so simple.
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    joeydahatt, all the more reason to utilize meta-analyses and the expertise of people like Alan Aragaon, Brad Shoenfeld, Eric Helms, James Krieger and Lyle McDonald (my person "go to" group. They are unbiased and well studied. They look at opposing points of view and demonstrate objectivity. They also list the studies their meta-analyses and article are based on. So, you can read them directly.

^This. For nutrition, I'd also add Stephan Guyenet.

I really enjoyed his book The Hungry Brain. I'm doing so much better now because of his insights.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    RMR may slow down due to adaptive thermogenesis, but it won't stop entirely. And taking a 2-week maintenance break every 8 weeks or so generally helps to offset it.

That being said, a large person probably shouldn't be on 1200 cals to start with.

Exactly, I started at 265 and I lose weight on 2250 calories/day. Started at 264.5 on 14 Feb. Weighed 239 this AM. I'm certainly not on a 1200 calorie starvation diet.

I am carb limited due to being suspected T2 diabetic. But I certainly get enough to eat at 2250 calories/day. But even carb limited is a relative term as I'm allowed 60g carbs/meal and another 45g/day in snacks for a total of 225g/day.

As much as MFP offers to let me eat my workout calories back, I don't. Not saying I haven't busted out of 2250/day once or twice in the past 8-9 weeks. However, I don't feel guilty about it either.

I'm pretty sure even pretty sedentary days like the past Saturday/Sunday where I spent 5 hours in the car and had to work I was still burning (according to my Fitbit) 2700-2900 calories over the course of each day.

Days with gym visits or bike rides are 3600+ and can hit 5k if I've taken a long bike ride.

I don't think 1200 calories would cut it for me and many others who are larger. And I'm not even on the really large side of things relative to peers I see.

However, when I compare my 50 something body to the 18 year old version of me, I was 100# heavier. Even 60# heavier than the POST Army days after I'd filled out with some muscle.