Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Reposting this from the other thread:

This has two major implications. The first is that scale weight will go down faster if skeletal muscle LBM is lost due to the differences in how much energy it contains. I actually strongly suspect that the reason that many rapid weight loss centers recommend against exercise as it limits the loss of LBM while dieting. By deliberately allowing LBM loss to occur, the number on the scale will drop more quickly than if muscle were not lost even if body composition is not improving as much as it should be. If that approach is combined with a low-carbohydrate diet, the weight losses that are achieved can be extremely large due to the amount of water loss that will occur. The number on the scale will drop rapidly although the changes that are actually occurring are irrelevant (water) or negative (LBM loss).

Lyle McDonald. The Women's Book (Kindle Locations 2915-2920). Lyle McDonald.

Ah, good point. People often forget that the ~3500 calories deficit needed to lose a pound is for fat and not the ~600 (right?) calories to lose a pound of muscle.

So again, not a violation of CICO, but a consideration.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    RivenV wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    What's especially disconcerting about this thread is that there seems to be two groups of CICO dissenters

1. Are conflating CICO with calorie counting, say we are being pedantic insisting there's a difference, and insisting everyone understands that calories determine weight loss, they just want health/nutrition/macros to be considered as well.

And

2. Who are insisting that calories do not determine weight loss if you are eating the right foods.

:neutral:

The second one is what gets me.

Shall I start talking about my ten years low carbing? Initially, I lost weight. And then, as I felt hungry (wut? I was supposed to feel satiated and have in tune hunger signals and no cravings), I ate. And started gaining weight back.

All on low carb.

BTW, at no point did I ever drop below 150 pounds on a 5'3" frame. (This was in the years before I started to shrink to my current height.) This was still overweight, obviously. Low carbing wasn't some magical solution for me.

And this is not to say that it won't work for others. Just not for the reason some of them think it does...

Oh, absolutely. And the reason it will work for them is why it works for your wife. It will blunt their appetites/they find the food satiating.

I apparently didn't, and the source material I was using relied too much on the power of that happening to the detriment of mentioning calorie management.

Same for me. I find carbs more satiating then fat so well uh, no low carbing for me...

Unacceptable, you two. Low carbing is the one true way to lose weight. Fall in line or else!

one-of-us-gif-15.gif

Haha
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    What's especially disconcerting about this thread is that there seems to be two groups of CICO dissenters

1. Are conflating CICO with calorie counting, say we are being pedantic insisting there's a difference, and insisting everyone understands that calories determine weight loss, they just want health/nutrition/macros to be considered as well.

And

2. Who are insisting that calories do not determine weight loss if you are eating the right foods.

:neutral:

The second one is what gets me.

Shall I start talking about my ten years low carbing? Initially, I lost weight. And then, as I felt hungry (wut? I was supposed to feel satiated and have in tune hunger signals and no cravings), I ate. And started gaining weight back.

All on low carb.

BTW, at no point did I ever drop below 150 pounds on a 5'3" frame. (This was in the years before I started to shrink to my current height.) This was still overweight, obviously. Low carbing wasn't some magical solution for me.

And this is not to say that it won't work for others. Just not for the reason some of them think it does...

Oh, absolutely. And the reason it will work for them is why it works for your wife. It will blunt their appetites/they find the food satiating.

I apparently didn't, and the source material I was using relied too much on the power of that happening to the detriment of mentioning calorie management.

Same for me. I find carbs more satiating then fat so well uh, no low carbing for me...

Oh, thank heaven! I'm not alone!

=)