Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    kuftae wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Eating processed foods, carbs and sugar really do make me feel like garbage. I don't think I am alone in this. It is WAY easier to eat vegetables, eggs, lean meat and water only if you are going for a steep cut (2lbs+ per week). With a clean diet I can go to bed full on 1700 calories easy (1200 cal deficit). I can't imagine getting through a day after having a 400+ calorie sugary snack. I would wake up the next day with a sugar hangover unable to move. Whatever keeps you sane though.

Calories in-- calories out means everything though. I maintain and gain weight on the same foods, just more volume (and a lot of added butter!)

Vegetables have carbohydrates.

Also, fruit is one of the foods highest in carbs by percentage, and yet few people claim to feel like garbage because they eat fruit. So yeah, I do think that's kind of unusual, although there are others who claim carbs in general make them feel bad.

Of course, most of the healthiest human diets (the blue zones) are reasonably high carb.

and high in fiber.

What does this have to do with you claiming that carbohydrates make you feel like garbage?

The main difference between eating bread and broccoli is the fiber. It is a lot about glucose spikes. It has also been shown that diets absent of fiber create breeding grounds for an unhealthy micro-biome. A lot of it comes down to inflammation.

Surely someone suggests in the yet unread 28 pages having a spoon of metamucil with their delicious bread to comply with his dietary rules, right? Surely. Otherwise, MFP, you're dead to me.
  • abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    mgibbons22 wrote: »
    Why do people deny CICO?

Because trolling is so much fun!

LMBO!!

d62azbvlbfa0.gif

• abbynormal52
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Well, taller people generally have longer limbs. As such, whenever they move (lift their limbs, get out of bed, rise from sitting, etc.), they're likely moving their bodyweight (parts of it) higher, which would require slightly more energy.

Of course, that's just looking at it from a pure physics POV. There may be other things, such as more work in transporting nutrients/energy to extremities?

What you talkin bout??
    oh5pzsqkesl4.gif

• abbynormal52
    I know a girl that lost a significant amount of weight. She literally looks like a totally different person and all while doing so, she ate anywhere from 2,000-3,000 calories a day. Mind you, this was following a ketogenic diet.

How tall is she?

I can lose on 2000 calories per day. So if I kept the 3000 calorie days to a minimum, it's totally do-able. Keto or no.

7'2"
    xyeokstymjfy.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,772 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Whatever it is I assume height is being used with some sort of population average to make assumptions about muscle content. Sort of like Height to weight gives you BMI which makes assumptions about your percent bodyfat based on population averages. I think people understand that, the question for me is more esoteric...does height itself matter at all for CO or is it just a corollary for something else like muscle content?

(P.S. Following is not debate/criticism of your comment - intended as casual follow-on conversation.)

I'd been wondering if this sub-conversation was taking into account the statistical nature of the standard CO estimates. I see that you, at least, were.

I haven't dug into the statistical underpinnings of the calorie estimation formulas at any level of detail (soooo boring! ;) ) but have idly wondered to what extent "average" but suboptimal behavior skews the outcomes for people who are not as average.

That improbable 5'3" jacked 200-pound guy would get poor estimates from calculators, of course, and the reason would involve somehow the undeniable fact that most 5'3" 200-pound men are seriously fat so they drive the stats behind the formula.

So: Assumptions about % bodyfat are an example of this effect, commonness of unnecessary inactivity and muscle loss in older age groups are another. High incidence of repeated extreme but fairly brief yo-yo dieting in some subpopulations . . . I wonder? Etc.

I don't know - maybe someone does - whether the underlying sampling that results in the formulas starts with population-wide basic data then applies adjustments for subpopulations, or what. (I'm not wondering about the nature of the estimation formulas themselves - I'm wondering about logistics of the research underpinnings, how the formula is built up, where factors like this might be an influence. But I don't care enough to do the research. ;) ).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,772 Member
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Per Steve Reeves
    Presumes a male somewhere around 8% - 10% body fat

"Ideal muscular body weight for male by height"
    5'5" 160lbs
    5'6" 165lbs
    5'7" 170lbs
    5'8" 175lbs
    5'9" 180lbs
    5'10" 185lbs
    5'11" 190lbs
    6'0" 200lbs
    6'1" 210lbs
    6'2" 220lbs
    6'3" 230lbs
    6'4" 240lbs
    6'5" 250lbs

Measurements:
    Arm size = 252% of Wrist size
    Calf size = 192% of Ankle size
    Neck Size = 79% of Head size
    Chest Size = 148% of Pelvis size
    Waist size = 86% of Pelvis size
    Thigh size = 175% of Knee size

The numbers for the "Grecian Ideal" (based on the Golden Ratio), as well as John McCallum's numbers are all close / similar.

Being too far from these numbers is considered to be not symmetrical and out of proportion.
    But in my experience, the Resting Heart Rate has a greater impact on TDEE than 5 or 10 pounds of extra body fat.
    I haven't seen any calculators that take RHR into account.

Of course there is a big difference between 5 pounds of extra fat vs 50 pounds of extra fat, so YMMV.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson207.htm

That thought (the bolded) is a new idea to me. Can you comment further on why you believe that to be true?

(I'm not arguing or setting you up in any way by asking - I'm truly curious. My TDEE is higher than it "should" be (per most formulas); while I'm not obsessed to know why, it would be interesting to know more. My RHR is lower than typical for my demographic: Fitness-related, not genetic, AFAIK.)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Whatever it is I assume height is being used with some sort of population average to make assumptions about muscle content. Sort of like Height to weight gives you BMI which makes assumptions about your percent bodyfat based on population averages. I think people understand that, the question for me is more esoteric...does height itself matter at all for CO or is it just a corollary for something else like muscle content?

(P.S. Following is not debate/criticism of your comment - intended as casual follow-on conversation.)

I'd been wondering if this sub-conversation was taking into account the statistical nature of the standard CO estimates. I see that you, at least, were.

I haven't dug into the statistical underpinnings of the calorie estimation formulas at any level of detail (soooo boring! ;) ) but have idly wondered to what extent "average" but suboptimal behavior skews the outcomes for people who are not as average.

That improbable 5'3" jacked 200-pound guy would get poor estimates from calculators, of course, and the reason would involve somehow the undeniable fact that most 5'3" 200-pound men are seriously fat so they drive the stats behind the formula.

So: Assumptions about % bodyfat are an example of this effect, commonness of unnecessary inactivity and muscle loss in older age groups are another. High incidence of repeated extreme but fairly brief yo-yo dieting in some subpopulations . . . I wonder? Etc.

I don't know - maybe someone does - whether the underlying sampling that results in the formulas starts with population-wide basic data then applies adjustments for subpopulations, or what. (I'm not wondering about the nature of the estimation formulas themselves - I'm wondering about logistics of the research underpinnings, how the formula is built up, where factors like this might be an influence. But I don't care enough to do the research. ;) ).

Yeah well to be honest science itself tends to be inferences drawn from statistical analysis of repeated measurements of a population.
  • abbynormal52
    edited April 2018
    I like the commercial they have on cable now where a gal says "if you see immediate results, you know you are on the right track". My thought was "for sure, if you've just had liposuction, you'd see immediate" results. People are still buying that stuff or they wouldn't be able to afford the commercials to sell more of their lies.