Childish Misunderstanding

Options

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    My Grandfather is a kung-fu Great Grandmaster, he was a student at Bruce Lee's Oakland school, trained with him and is actually the last surviving member (81yrs old)

I've trained off and on pretty much since I could walk and honestly thought we were Chinese until I was 6yrs old... Hahaha

Blew me away to find out I was in fact Mexican :lol:

Everything about this is awesome Chico!

Hey thanks, and thanks for the congrats on promo too, I appreciate it :heart:

I use to eat plain white rice and rocked Bruce Lee shoes and everything lol... I think they wanted to let me know before I went to kindergarten and told everyone I was Chinese lol
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    My Grandfather is a kung-fu Great Grandmaster, he was a student at Bruce Lee's Oakland school, trained with him and is actually the last surviving member (81yrs old)

I've trained off and on pretty much since I could walk and honestly thought we were Chinese until I was 6yrs old... Hahaha

Blew me away to find out I was in fact Mexican :lol:

Everything about this is awesome Chico!

Hey thanks, and thanks for the congrats on promo too, I appreciate it :heart:

I use to eat plain white rice and rocked Bruce Lee shoes and everything lol... I think they wanted to let me know before I went to kindergarten and told everyone I was Chinese lol

Haha! My family used to call me Chinesinha or China doll when I was little... they would all tell me I was adopted so I thought I was Chinese too! :D
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    When I was a child I took phrases literally.
    I thought window shopping meant you bought windows and garage sales meant you bought garages on sale.

The term ' cupboard drinker' had me totally stumped :o

Oh man, I took stuff literally too. Still do, but to a lesser extent as an adult. I've never heard 'cupboard drinker' in my life, though.

People in my area always called it a "garage sale" even if they didn't have a garage at all and that bugged me so much. My grandmother told me it could also be called a "yard sale" or "rummage sale" and I would go around correcting people until I realized they didn't care. I am surprised I wasn't more hated as a kid, doing things like that! ha.

Cupboard drinker is a well known term here - perhaps not everywhere, I don't know.

It means people who secretly drink alcohol without their friends or family knowing.( ie they keep it hidden in back of cupboard)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I thought people were saying tomato instead of tornado. Couple this with people saying they sound like a train and seeing the damage they caused on TV, led me to some bad dreams. We lived close enough to railroad tracks that we couldn't always hear the train, but we could hear the whistle. I used to have legit nightmares of a giant tomato, that sounds like a train whistle, flying from house to house, landing on them and squasing them.

Hilarious! Much more fun than real tornadoes
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    When I was a child I took phrases literally.
    I thought window shopping meant you bought windows and garage sales meant you bought garages on sale.

The term ' cupboard drinker' had me totally stumped :o

Oh man, I took stuff literally too. Still do, but to a lesser extent as an adult. I've never heard 'cupboard drinker' in my life, though.

People in my area always called it a "garage sale" even if they didn't have a garage at all and that bugged me so much. My grandmother told me it could also be called a "yard sale" or "rummage sale" and I would go around correcting people until I realized they didn't care. I am surprised I wasn't more hated as a kid, doing things like that! ha.

Cupboard drinker is a well known term here - perhaps not everywhere, I don't know.

It means people who secretly drink alcohol without their friends or family knowing.( ie they keep it hidden in back of cupboard)

Thanks for explaining that one! I don't think I've heard it, but I am familiar with the concept, "closet drinker" maybe is what they say in my area?

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Yes, closet drinker sounds same concept.

The word closet isn't used much here - it's a cupboard or a wardrobe.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Just this week I had a conversation with my 10-year-old son about political yard signs. He was surprised to learn that the property owners put the signs up to show their support for particular candidates. Apparently he had believed that the government put the signs up wherever they wanted just to let people know who was running for each election!
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    My Grandma on my Dad's side was named Flo. She passed before I was born, but I guess I never caught on to that. There was this lady that lived next door to me and her name was Flo...I was certain she was my Grandma. I would brag to all the kids at school how I got to see my Grandma every day. The sweet thing played along with me too. I would spend every afternoon with her in her garden. They would even bring me dinner most nights because I never wanted to go home.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    I wanted my hair cut the same as a friends in kindergarten. When Mom said no, I decided to do it myself. I'm sure you can guess how well that turned out. Mom was FURIOUS and yelling about taking ne to the hairdresser and how it would take years to grow back right. Mom says I was very quiet the whole ride over, and when we got there all I asked is if she would visit me. Or I would never see them again till my hair grew back.
    Apparently i thought the hairdresser was bad hair jail.

This is super sad and also hilarious!