Childish Misunderstanding

Options

Replies

• JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I was certain that one day I would either be possessed by the devil, or disappear in the Bermuda Triangle.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    I was certain that one day I would either be possessed by the devil, or disappear in the Bermuda Triangle.

At every sleepover, I assumed we were gonna face molesting stepdads or uncles and kidnappers/murderers from the woods. Thank goodness I never actually had any horrible situations like that, but I was hyperaware. My friends were scared of "ghosts" and horror movies. I thought they were idiots, but I was on high alert for what I assumed was DEFINITELY going to happen in real life.

• Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    I believed all dogs go to heaven. My step dad is super conservative Christian and decided to break my heart at the age of 10 and tell me animals don't have souls therefore no animals will be in heaven.

Yeah *kitten* that concept. If there is a heaven, it will have more beautiful doggos than rotten people.
  • 123tacos
    123tacos Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My son believed his aunt swallowed a baby and thats why their was a baby in her belly.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Well quick sand turned out to be less of a problem than I thought it would be. Also, no falling anvils from the sky to have maneuver.

Who would have thought that about quicksand.

these were big fears of mine as well ; D
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My sister and I were terrified of vampires coming into bite our necks so we would wrap them up in a blanket or pull our pjs up to cover and make sure we said our prayers. This somehow kept us safe from the vampires...(Dark Shadows)
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What’s the silliest thing you recall misunderstanding as a child?

Drinking and driving. I legitimately thought that meant that you could not partake in any beverage while driving a car and I would get so paranoid when my dad would bring a mug of coffee into the car. He didn’t even try to hide it!

Where I live it's actually illegal to drink OR eat while driving. Haha. So technically your dad was still doing the wrong thing SOMEWHERE in the world. LOL
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I thought my name was Nickel (it's Nicole - but the way people said it, I just got confused and thought my name was the same as the coin). I also thought that song: Hey Mickey you're so fine... was actually about me because I heard the lyrics as: Hey Nicky you're so fine.

I think my biggest misunderstanding was thinking that people were worth my time or effort. Really the people I wanted approval from were the biggest asshats in the universe and I'm very sorry I wasted my time being concerned with them.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Wind chill factor (the "Feels Like" temperature due to wind) I always thought was windshield factor - like how cold the wind feels against the windshield of your car.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    When I was younger my mother only bought things/food/clothes if they were on sale...I thought it meant everyone was only allowed to buy stuff that is for sale and I always wondered why in the world all that other stuff was in the store if it was not for sale and people couldn't buy it.
  • MessyApron
    MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I used to think that clouds came from the smokestacks of factories.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    We convinced my brother thst he was half leprachaun, and he believed that on St.Patricks day he was a full leprechaun.
    He was born a couple days after St. Patricks day, was named Patrick Michael, and has blue eyes and red hair, lots of freckes (we do have a lot of Irish in us, lol) and one ear with a pointier tip than the other. It was the ear that was our biggest "proof" :D:D:D

My youngest sister was the only one who had very dark hair and eyes, so we convinced her that she was left by gypsies, because "even they didn't want her" . We were terrible people.

Now my friends kid (and daughters BFF) believes she was dropped off by aliens. Sometimes the rest of us do too...
  • Jay_d2020
    Jay_d2020 Posts: 2,924 Member
    Options
    I always thought when I overheard adults say “they are on their death bed” that it was a special bed they moved them to. I’m not proud that I thought this lol
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    I thought people who won the Publisher's Clearing House sweepstakes had to actually take those giant checks to the bank.