Hating on abs, I get it, but who doesnt want a strong core?

Options
12346»

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You're going to get totally different answers from people who come from one of two schools of thought here:

1. Core Strength.

2. Visible, well-developed abdominal muscles.

You can usually tell which one the answerers fall under by whether they use the word "abs" or "core."

Having a shredded and defined midsection does not necessarily equate to having a strong core.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I do agree that you can get in some work doing compound exercises, such as squats, push ups, etc. But I've personally found that I'm able to do these exercises better because I included core isolation exercises such as crunches and planks.

ETA: But I like what someone else said that basically the reason people "le sigh" isn't because of the exercise, but because of the assumed notions that exist thanks to the advertising of such ab only workouts. Also, more often than not, the person asking isn't really concerned about actually strengthening their core but getting rid of the fat there and are looking for specific answers to fat loss, versus strength.

I pretty sure the bolded part is the answer to the OPs concerns. 99% of the responses that lambast iso ab routines are to correct the fallacy of spot reduction.

^ Yup. The bolded is the most basic answer to OP's question.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    All about the abs! You can do alot of workouts that also involve ab muscles to take part. I like hanging legs lifts and sit ups. But concentrate on my obliques more. Abs aren't abs without obliques

big thumbs up for hanging leg lifts.

discovered i'm lacking in my obliques... any particular exercises you feel are most effective?
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    hanging leg lifts and ab wheel really like those
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    discovered i'm lacking in my obliques... any particular exercises you feel are most effective?

Single dumbbell side bends.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I do agree that you can get in some work doing compound exercises, such as squats, push ups, etc. But I've personally found that I'm able to do these exercises better because I included core isolation exercises such as crunches and planks.

ETA: But I like what someone else said that basically the reason people "le sigh" isn't because of the exercise, but because of the assumed notions that exist thanks to the advertising of such ab only workouts. Also, more often than not, the person asking isn't really concerned about actually strengthening their core but getting rid of the fat there and are looking for specific answers to fat loss, versus strength.

I pretty sure the bolded part is the answer to the OPs concerns. 99% of the responses that lambast iso ab routines are to correct the fallacy of spot reduction.

^ Yup. The bolded is the most basic answer to OP's question.

Big +1 here. We often try to discourage people here from doing ab-specific workouts/exercises when they ask, because 95% of the time the reason they ask is because they want to spot-burn fat from their abs to reveal their abs more, which those of us who have been around a while know is not impossible and will never get them to their goal.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    hanging leg lifts and ab wheel really like those

I agree that these are the most effective movements for a six pack. I'd also throw in leg raises where you push your feet towards the ceiling at the top of the movement, and then do as many crunches as you can afterwards (it will be much less then it would be without doing the lower ab stuff first), or insert whatever 'upper ab' exercise you like. Honestly nothing isolates the abs like the crunch...
    Single dumbbell side bends.

up unit recently, i would have said hell no to this. Always came from the school that you don't want to do any weighted ab stuff becasue it will only increase the size of your waste line.

While i suppose thats true, someone woke me up by sayin the old tried and true 'your not going to get big over night'.
    So logically i'd probably see welcome changes LONG before it got to the point that i saw something i didn't like. then i could just stop doing them lol.

for some reason i'm still very hesitant to do weighted abs, especailly side bends. possibly because i tend to grow outward love handle wise at the waste and not so much in the gut.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    False logic--Doing ab exercises isn't really "strengthening your core". "Core" work does NOT equal "ab work". Most lower back pain is related to weak glutes and tight hip flexors, not weak abs (assuming no structural damage). .
    Couldn't agree more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    False logic--Doing ab exercises isn't really "strengthening your core". "Core" work does NOT equal "ab work". Most lower back pain is related to weak glutes and tight hip flexors, not weak abs (assuming no structural damage). .
    Couldn't agree more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

i think core work is not limited to ab work would be a more accurate way to state that
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    All about the abs! You can do alot of workouts that also involve ab muscles to take part. I like hanging legs lifts and sit ups. But concentrate on my obliques more. Abs aren't abs without obliques

russian twist with 25lbs or more then obliques side bends. theres a bunch
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I can agree that crunches suck, but I am not abut to drop pikes and other "core moves" I do with my TRX. Of course, since I'm usually stuck with the suspension trainer and no gym, almost every move I do relies on core stability. If I want more resistance on my biceps curl, I have to earn it with a better plank first.

I tend to think of things as push, pull, fold, unfold, twist.

You should be able to move well in all three dimensions.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I thought that abs were made in the kitchen... You wont see them well defined unless your diet is spot on (some people never do).

Having said that - I like "doing abs" with the Fitball: Jack Knife plus Oblique Crunches. Also floor exercises: Planks and Medicine Ball twists for the obliques.

I agree that doing general compound exercises with good form will keep a persons core strong and that's going to give good results all round, whether they see their abs or not - at least underneath they will be strong.

There's nothing quite like not needing to suck your stomach in... it's just in.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I thought that abs were made in the kitchen... You wont see them well defined unless your diet is spot on (some people never do).

Having said that - I like "doing abs" with the Fitball: Jack Knife plus Oblique Crunches. Also floor exercises: Planks and Medicine Ball twists for the obliques.

I agree that doing general compound exercises with good form will keep a persons core strong and that's going to give good results all round, whether they see their abs or not - at least underneath they will be strong.

There's nothing quite like not needing to suck your stomach in... it's just in.

It's just like any other muscle. There are people with fry little muscle and very little body fat, and if they did some lifting they would have a six pack.

For the vast majority the missing piece is diet, but for some select few, all that's needed is some training.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Renegade row and pallof press are my two favorites.

start with say 10's or 15's. plank position with the DB in your hands- and (I would recommend when you FIRST do this) have someone hold your hips- feet are shoulder width... pull the weight up in a row (in plank) but DON"T MOVE YOUR HIPS>

Guys throwing around 35's when they do this are missing the most important part of this exercise- which is the oblique holding you stable.

GOD I LOVE IT- mostly I love putting my feet up on a stability ball and doing them that way- it's so stupid its' fun.

I did a bunch of L sit pull ups today- love how those work the trunk. Excellent exercise.