So, how did I lose the 225 pounds?

Options
mrdmevans
mrdmevans Posts: 149 Member
I have been asked for advice on losing weight a lot lately, so I thought I would share this.

I have tried every fad diet out there, sure I would lose a little weight but then I would gain it back plus some. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Over Eaters Anonymous, I have been a member of them all. All great programs, but just ones I failed at. I even tried restricting my calories to a dangerously low level, just to have my body break down even more.

After trying everything, I finally had an AHA moment! I realized, that for me to be successful I needed to figure out a way to create a diet that I can actually stick with for the long haul. I needed to make this a life style change and giving up bread and red meats just wasn’t going to work for me. All these other diets may be great for some people, but I had to find what was great for me.

So, I scheduled an appointment with a dietician. We discussed what a healthy diet looks like, and we formulated a game plan that I could actually follow through on. I learned about the correct portion sizes and ways to prepare my "must have" foods in a healthier manner. This has been instrumental in me losing the 225 pounds.

The next thing was getting active. I had to convince myself that anything is better than nothing. If that meant I walked up and down the drive way a couple times that’s what I did. It's better than nothing. I had to realize that I had to start somewhere and I wasn’t going to be able to jump right into a marathon. The exercise thing really took me figuring out a way to get past my own insecurities. I was so worried that other people would think I was weak or lazy or slow or any other number of things. Well I am past that now and I am comfortable exercising several days a week.
All, of the above has been soooo important. However, there is one other thing that I had to have to be successful. I had to have the right motivation. I had to figure out what was going to motivate me and then focus on that always. For me my motivation is my family. In fact, I still find that I ask myself a couple of questions when I go to the fridge. "Do I need this? Is this going to help me LIVE my life with my family?" If my answer is no, then I move on.

I just got tired of being afraid all the time, wondering if I would fit or would I break the chair? I couldn’t handle not being able to take my wife out on the town. I couldn’t take her to a play, or ballet because the seats couldn’t handle me. I couldn’t take my son to a ball game or to the amusement park. I was imprisoned and in turn I was imprisoning the two people I love the most.

Since losing the weight I have been able to take my wife to a show and my son and I are going to a ball game this coming Saturday. We have been to and enjoyed the local amusement park many many times, and this past weekend we went jet skiing and enjoyed time at the lake. These are all things I could not have done before. This is what motivates me.

So, my question to you is "What motivates you?"

aa905d62-73fa-4d0a-8898-845b3678085d_zpsc2cbbf9a.jpg

Replies

• Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    What an amazing success story! Congratulations on coming so far. My current motivation is my two month old baby girl. I want her to see what healthy and strong looks like :)
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Great story and congratulations on your transformation!!!
  • die2fat4love
    die2fat4love Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing! Great job!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Wholly Crap you did amazing good for you you look awesome all I can say is WOW
  • Doxeydoxie
    Options
    What an inspiration this is! You have done an amazing job and I related to SO many of the same situations you went through! You have done a fantastic job and your family is blessed to have a father and husband who loves them so much!! WAY TO GO!!!!
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC! what an inspiration you are to us all! I needed to see this today. thank you!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You have done an amazing job! Thank you for sharing so that you can be an inspiration to others out there!
  • Imcharmed
    Imcharmed Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Amazing story, well done and thanks for sharing.
  • kaykaylyn
    kaykaylyn Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What an amazing job you've done. Congrats to you and your family.
  • julzbennett
    julzbennett Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    amazing work and great philosophy for a healthy, happier life! congratulations!
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Congrats to you!
  • ezziepug
    ezziepug Posts: 57
    Options
    Thank you for writing this. It helped me so much. And a huge congrats on all your hard work!
  • lima013
    lima013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Amazing Job!! Congratulations!!
  • mrdmevans
    mrdmevans Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Good luck to all of you!
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring story.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the new life you have given to yourself and your family. May it be long and richly blessed!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Inspiring. Thank you for sharing this with us.
  • buttercup281999
    Options
    Great success! Keep up the dedication and persevere. You':smile done awesome! :smile:
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story - Thanks for sharing with us!!
  • angeliqueann
    angeliqueann Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You're amazing! You look fantastic! it's so true. You just have to find what motivates you! =D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!