Less Alcohol- May 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    jaxon250 wrote: »
    Well although its now mid may...I have decided to quit alcohol for good! I have came to the point thats its affecting prettt much every aspect of my life. I need to take control again.

Welcome. It doesn't matter when you start in this thread. Even for people who are wanting to complete the month of May alcohol free this is still a personal day to day challenge and sometimes a moment to moment challenge.

If you would like Julie, our hostess, is usually here at least once a day and she can provide some helpful links for your journey. Just say the word.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    Hey friends! Let's resurrect some titles of books for our new friends to read. What book titles were your favorites?
    Have a wonderful day!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    I’m in. 54 days sober today. Committed to staying sober for May. I want to make more of an effort to check in here, great support

Awesome job! You are amazing and strong!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    About resources, This Naked Mind is by far the most helpful book I've read. Also, Kate at The Sober School has a weekly (Monday) blog that I always find helpful and inspiring. She also offers a pricey 6-week course, but signing up for the blog is free. I learned the term "Hangziety" from her blog and also the idea that "Sobriety delivers what alcohol (falsely) promises."

Best wishes to everyone on this journey!
  • Trinkwasser
    Trinkwasser Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Re: Resources-“Waiting: A Nonbeliever’s Higher Power” by Marya Hornbacher is an excellent book. It’s somewhat geared towards agnostics in Alcoholics Anonymous, and talks about the difference between spirituality and religion, but the focus is not really on AA, but the bankrupt experience of being an alcoholic and finding hope. I think she’s an incredible writer, it’s a very personal story, and anyone trying to get sober would benefit from reading it. Highly recommend it.
  • lilann1961
    lilann1961 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read Drink: The Intimate Relationship Between Women and Alcohol?
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    lilann1961 wrote: »

I haven't. But will add that to my own list. xo
  • lilann1961
    lilann1961 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    lilann1961 wrote: »

I haven't. But will add that to my own list. xo

I have ordered it from Barnes and Noble. Will let everyone know what I think!
  • wigi41
    wigi41 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Lilann1961 I read that book and absolutely loved it. Such a good mix of her own story with cultural and social elements of alcohol use, just fabulous. Sarah hepola's book "Blackout" is also good.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    salleewins wrote: »
    Rough day yesterday and then some very sad news just a few hours ago. No alcohol for me in spite of Dad passing away......I am the oldest and another Sister planning something. It will be hard traveling back to his house. It is roughly 5 hours away and then being there, too. Last time I drank a lot while I was there. The 23rd, I will have 4 mo. I want to just get to that day and pass that day. That happens to be my late son's birthday that day also .I just want to continue this all being AF and continue exercising, feeling good, getting things done and losing weight.......in spite of all these hard life sufferings....Sometimes lately I am just throwing stuff and saying that I have had it. Thanks for listening.

I am very sorry for your loss.
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Rough day yesterday and then some very sad news just a few hours ago. No alcohol for me in spite of Dad passing away......I am the oldest and another Sister planning something. It will be hard traveling back to his house. It is roughly 5 hours away and then being there, too. Last time I drank a lot while I was there. The 23rd, I will have 4 mo. I want to just get to that day and pass that day. That happens to be my late son's birthday that day also .I just want to continue this all being AF and continue exercising, feeling good, getting things done and losing weight.......in spite of all these hard life sufferings....Sometimes lately I am just throwing stuff and saying that I have had it. Thanks for listening.

Hugs. So much loss.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'm 7 pages behind! I've missed this thread, and have caught up a few pages way back, but might not get to the rest tonight.

107 days AF today! Just checked. :smile:

I've had a bottle of bubbly in the fridge this whole time, but haven't wanted to drink it.

When I quit smoking 4 years ago, I carried around a nearly-full pack of cigarettes for a few months before finally giving it to someone who couldn't afford a pack.

I seem to have this thing where I like to carry on as if everything is normal, and I could drink or smoke any time I want.

I don't want to feel desperate and anxious because I don't have bubbly handy.

Before, it was like the end of the world if I ran out of cigarettes or alcohol, and I would rush out to get more.

Now, I can have it whenever I want, and I don't want it. Feel fine, even if my brain is a bit weird. :smiley:

Congrats on 107! Amazing ! I like your idea of not feeling deprived because if you want some, you can have some. I'm happy youre doing so well! Happy Weekend!
  • RubyRed427
    Options

Oh that is awful. My deepest sympathies to you. Xoxo
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'm 7 pages behind! I've missed this thread, and have caught up a few pages way back, but might not get to the rest tonight.

107 days AF today! Just checked. :smile:

I've had a bottle of bubbly in the fridge this whole time, but haven't wanted to drink it.

When I quit smoking 4 years ago, I carried around a nearly-full pack of cigarettes for a few months before finally giving it to someone who couldn't afford a pack.

I seem to have this thing where I like to carry on as if everything is normal, and I could drink or smoke any time I want.

I don't want to feel desperate and anxious because I don't have bubbly handy.

Before, it was like the end of the world if I ran out of cigarettes or alcohol, and I would rush out to get more.

Now, I can have it whenever I want, and I don't want it. Feel fine, even if my brain is a bit weird. :smiley:

Great work on the 107 days.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    @salleewins I'm so sorry. It is a very sad day when you are Daddy's little girl and he leaves you. It's like your champion is gone, but he will never leave you.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Saturday is our annual family campout. Lots of food, booze, sitting by the fire telling jokes. Even though the whole weekend is moderation time for me, I think I'm going to abstain tonight, so I don't have to worry about going over my allotment on Saturday.