Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day!!
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I have listened to all of these before but I hadn't in a while. This morning I listened to the loving kindness meditation. I find the speaker soothing and it is easy to meditate to her words. I felt very peaceful after. I am enduring some stress and it helps.

http://marc.ucla.edu/mindful-meditations
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi! Mother's Day as hard as it is, is more manageable without alcohol. I have had some fun today with my daughter (picked up Tikka Chicken with Naan, went to sit down by the river to eat and she brought a beautiful raspberry colored hydranga). The weather has been nice. We tooled around an ethnic grocery store for some items to make a healthy recipe another day. I did a lowfat ice dream cone later as we were too full from lunch. She brought new toys (used from her cats) for my cat. I was at church after cooking myself a different healthy breakfast and doing my exercise this am etc. Hope it has been a good day for everyone else so far, too!!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    I have listened to all of these before but I hadn't in a while. This morning I listened to the loving kindness meditation. I find the speaker soothing and it is easy to meditate to her words. I felt very peaceful after. I am enduring some stress and it helps.

http://marc.ucla.edu/mindful-meditations

Thanks for sharing! I just did the five minute breathing one:)
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @satchel55 Bravo! You are determined! Xo
    If you need more inspiration, I like the author of Alcohol Lied to Me, Craig Beck on youtube. Straight shooter.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Thanks for the post, @JulieAL1969. Great ideas!!

I'm on Day 4. After that one glass of wine at the theater last Sunday, it was just too easy to have a "few" drinks Monday and Tuesday. I wish I could do the "99% of the time" thing, but I just don't think I can. Oddly enough, 100% is less pressure for me. At the same time, though, I don't want to say "forever" because that sounds simply impossible. We just made reservations at a crazy fancy hotel for our 25th anniversary next month (yay job!!), and I can't imagine not having a glass of champagne (or 2).

All your non-electronic suggestions are so good. I have the months of June and July off. My job ends May 31, and my new one begins in August. I'm going to try to make those 2 months "self-care" months and establish some really good habits. I have worked from home for the past 19 years (telecommuting). So it's going to be a huge culture shock for me to go to a structured 40-hour-per-week job, and in a PRISON, no less. I can't even take my phone in to the building and can only bring my lunch in a see-through 1 gallon bag. No popping out to Starbucks on a whim! I'm super excited about the job itself, but man is it going to be different. Working on my health, including not drinking, for 2 months is imperative for me. If I felt bad (or hungover!) at home, I could laze around on the sofa with my laptop. Not any more, but I think that's a good thing.

Sorry for the ramble. Hope everyone's having a great Sunday. I'm off to look up scone recipes for the royal wedding next Saturday!

I like your idea of self care months. I will do that, too. I am ending school in a month and will have two months off. I like to make a list of the all the positive things I want to do- like visit the Art Museum, find a food truck downtown at lunch and eat, things like that. Fun things.

I think when you're at your new job, you will really do well at being mindful. Living in the moment without distraction of your phone or craving Starbucks. I look forward to hearing how the journey goes.
    It's a beautiful thing that you will help the unfortunate souls who are paying a price for their crime, but they are still human. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @jessylbrown Hope you had a good weekend! So proud of you!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    DIANE2432 wrote: »
    I don t know yet but less

Less is an improvement, that's for sure. Keep it up:)
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother's day to all of you beautiful women! I'm still babysitting (grin) and so have been sticking to, or under my limit. I went over twice but wasn't on duty. Sorry I'm not posting often, I'll try to more often.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    Beautiful evening here in GA. Got up early and drove 45 miles to make my mama breakfast. Love that lady! It's been since June of 2016 that the Lord took my dad. We had a good talk about him and I blurted out that I have been feeling resentful that she had given all the grandchildren and my brothers a personal item that had belonged to my dad, but she hadn't given her daughters anything. I felt ashamed after I did it. I don't need physical items to hold him in my heart, but it was still the truth. It was a good talk. She still hurts too. My eyes are leaking as I type this. If you are reading this, i don't know you, but thank you for reading it.

I feel like I should change my profile name as this is my email address as well...

You know it was probably the right thing to say to mom. Otherwise it stays all pent up inside you. And I think she probably didnt realize she left out the daughters. What did I she say after you told her? A momento of Dad would be nice. Maybe there's something left that she can give you. My mom said she donated all of her dad's belongings but kept his glasses. I thought that was sweet. Hopefully you can still find something that you treasure. Xoxo
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    Beautiful evening here in GA. Got up early and drove 45 miles to make my mama breakfast. Love that lady! It's been since June of 2016 that the Lord took my dad. We had a good talk about him and I blurted out that I have been feeling resentful that she had given all the grandchildren and my brothers a personal item that had belonged to my dad, but she hadn't given her daughters anything. I felt ashamed after I did it. I don't need physical items to hold him in my heart, but it was still the truth. It was a good talk. She still hurts too. My eyes are leaking as I type this. If you are reading this, i don't know you, but thank you for reading it.

I feel like I should change my profile name as this is my email address as well...

I am not one to judge. I am extremely protective of personal items from "lost" loved ones. I may not absolutely need one but for me it is beneficial.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Lee5656 I don't blame you for wanting a personal item. My mother didn't offer but she did not object when I chose a ring that my father used to wear and before him, his father. I never ever take it off. I am glad there was not a brother who perhaps would have been a more natural choice. I have 2 sisters who chose other things. When I look at it it makes me think of him and how I want to live the kind of life he would be proud of. This does not include being a lush. I can't moderate and I have a new determination. There is an unopened bottle of wine in my fridge leftover from a party yesterday. It is going to a friend's house tomorrow. It is not tempting me NOW but I don't want it in the house.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Aww @ErikNJ, we have all SO been there! You’ll do great this week. As you suggested, this group is so great to have so we don’t just beat ourselves up with no where to turn. I’m glad you knew we’d have your back. Go you!!

@JulieAL1969, you seem to be finding the rhythm that works for you without blowing it all up. That’s my goal. Thanks for sharing your journey.