Less Alcohol- May 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    That makes sense. Almost all of my drinking has been habit induced so I don't relate to this as well. If anything I would be more anxious to drink after a good day.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options
    wigi41 wrote: »
    I have often struggled with this concept too- in the past, I certainly have found alcohol to be relaxing. A few months ago, I came across the following page in Alan Carr's book 'The Illustrated Easy Way to Stop Drinking' and it really resonated with me. I took a pic of it so I could go back to it for reminders....

Good thinking!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @jecky74 So sorry to hear that about your daughter. Sending you big hugs. Yes, life's traumas are easier to understand when you're sober. You have crystal clear thinking. You are inspiring.
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Feel like last night was a real success. Summer is finally here in my area and I met my husband after work yesterday at a new brewery. We each had one beer while enjoying the sunshine. We walked home and we wound up stopping by the liquor store because I needed a quarter cup of white wine for a recipe I was planning to make. Went home, opened the wine to cook, and put the rest back in the fridge. At no point in the evening did I feel it "calling" me.

It was the type of evening that defines what moderation really means to me, the kind of thing I'm striving for.

This is what I am also striving for! Good for you!!!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Reward is the cornerstone of all addictions. We want a reward, to calm down perhaps, to let go, to celebrate etc.
    I've been sober and clean 28 years. Food took over as the reward. Struggled for a long time with that one. Over 4 years now of not returning to obesity but struggle with eating processed foods - they set up my cravings for sugar and crap. I return to them without even giving it a thought sometimes. Snap of the fingers and there I am eating garbage food and my body feels like crap.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Xo
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    @jecky74 so sorry to here about your current issues. Very proud of you standing strong! Big hugs and thoughts your way
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    @jecky74 So sorry about your daughter. I admire your strength!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I have not dated or really socialized while I have abstained from alcohol. I had a guy I went out with a while back text me and we are getting together Sunday. We always drank when we went out. I will hit my 30 days on Saturday but not sure I am ready to drink again. I feel like a different person since not drinking. So much less stressed and anxious. Ugh I want to see him but I don’t want to drink.

Can I suggest that you make a list of every single way you can think of to handle this situation? It might help with the battle that is in front of you, it might not.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll - "It's like addressing your engine check light by putting a piece of duct tape over it." Well said. Sometimes when that wine is calling my name I try to imagine how it's going to change anything and, more particularly, how I'm going to feel after I drink. There's a little bit of visualization involved, not to be too woo, when I imagine myself washing the wine glass and kind of feeling annoyed with myself, realizing there was just no need for me to drink at all.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Last night, I had two glasses of wine. The effect of one hour of fun was a sleepless night. Tossing , turning, racing heartbeat, worrying about things, sweating, it was a horrible. No headache this morning but I would like a re-do. Skipping the wine and going back to my deep sleep. It wasn't worth it. Just sayin'

I feel for ya, but thanks for sharing that. A great reminder for all of us.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    @jecky74 My thoughts and prayers go to you and your family.

@trishfit2014 If it were me, I would not drink unless I wanted to drink. I would also offer no explanations. I would just say, no thank you, I don't have a taste for it tonight. I would not get into the reasoning behind it because, although you know him, it's also a new relationship and new relationships are rather 'judgey'. You might also want to find out if you like him without the fog of alcohol. Have fun!
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    ErynVee wrote: »
    Went out last night with my mom and sister and treated them to dinner. They are not big drinkers at all, but wanted a beer with dinner. I ordered 1 beer, and I actually stopped there! Normally my tally is at least 3 drinks. I had my 1, and went home and drank water the rest of the night. I even had beer at the house (in the past I would have gone home and opened another bottle), but I didn't drink any. And I feel great today. Need to keep reminding myself how much better I feel when I make these good choices.

Happy Thursday to all!

Great job! I know that same path - I would always grab another beer from the fridge when I got home if I had drinks while I was out. It really does feel great the next day when you switch to waters.