Less Alcohol- May 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Is anyone here involved in any other good MFP groups? The whole reason I stumbled on you awesome people was cause I was looking for motivation on the forums. I really struck out the first couple times until I found you all.
    I still really need this group as I know my alcohol intake leads to bad food decisions, and those two combined lead to my weight issues. Just wondering if anyone can suggest a great supportive group that has a main focus of weight loss.

Thanks in advance!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    @erikNJ I'm part of a group called Workout Warriors and Flab U Less - these are little groups under a bigger umbrella. Where you weigh in each week and get to know the others. All positive people like our thread. Message me and I'll give you the names of the moderators. I would have to look into it more to give you exact way to get into the group. I know it's a closed group that opens each month.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    @Trinkwasser Love reading all of your comments and insights! Xo
  • Trinkwasser
    Trinkwasser Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    salleewins wrote: »
    4 months AF in about 10 minutes!!!!!

That’s amazing!!!! Congrats be proud! Look how far you’ve come!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Wow! 8 months worth of AF milestones on one page. Very Nice. Congrats!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This came up on my Facebook feed and thought it was relevant, this is exactly how I felt in Jan when I first stumbled onto this group.

http://www.scarymommy.com/questioning-drinking-habits/

• NovusDies
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have been doing some exploring of my past trying to remember the truth of what I considered positive drinking experiences. Here is one that I usually and conveniently forget the second part...

I was in my early 20's. College was in the rearview mirror and I was doing my time on the corporate scene. I was a bit of an ambitious bulldozer and it didn't take long to be given my first team. This was noticed by upper management and I was invited out for a Sunday afternoon boat trip. This included drinking of course. At this stage in my life drinking was not a regular thing and I have always been a bit of a lightweight in the afternoon so I got buzzed pretty fast which led to being drunk. It didn't matter because everyone was drinking quite a bit and jokes, daredevil nonsense, and general bonding ensued. The wheels were greased and I went on to further outings and further promotions.

The next day after the boat trip however I suffered one of the worst hangovers of my life. My head was in a vice and, of course, I had to go to work. To make matters worse the sunscreen I took in my bag never made it on my skin (thank you drinking) and I was fairly burnt. I was miserable on top of miserable and by the end of the day my team was furious with me because I was in such a foul mood. The ones that needed more hand-holding because they were new to the project really caught my lack of patience. Most accepted that it wasn't a normal situation and let it go. One employee never really did forgive me and I had to eventually terminate her. To be fair she was a very weak link but still it would have been nice to at least have the opportunity to turn it around.

Selective memory is just another tool that I use against myself when I want to drink.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Went off my weeknight AF plan last night but I’m ok with it. My brother in law is in town and staying with us as we are dealing with some health issues with an aging family member. My husband and his siblings all went out to dinner and I stayed home with the kids. After dinner they came back and I had just finished preparing my own dinner after getting the kids to bed (usually my time to drink in the past).

I offered my brother in law a beer or some wine, and he first declined and I thought “whew! I got out of this temptation pretty easily” and then he said “you know I think I will take a glass of wine if you have a bottle open.” I said “I don’t but I can open one (good host)” and sent my husband down for a bottle from my wine fridge. He came back up and said “you know you have almost no wine down there? I wasn’t sure what bottle to pick because I think some of them are your special occasion wines”. I went down and sure enough, since I haven’t purchased wine since joining this group I had like two bottles of every day wine left - normally I would be stocked full on a week to week basis!

So he opened the wine and poured one for my BIL and asked if i wanted one, I said no, and husband said “sure? Bobby always drives you to drink!” (Long history of spirited arguments with my BIL). I said no again. Felt good. Thought to myself... “you know, I would like a glass of wine, not because I’m stressed (I was) or think I need it to deal with family and work and all that... but because I can have a glass of wine with a meal and end it there”. It wasn’t really an internal debate like I’ve had before with my drinking brain and abstinence brain - just a quick, rational decision. So that’s what I did. I poured a glass, ate my dinner, talked with my husband and BIL, no one refilled anything, and I just went to bed as if I had ended my night with tea instead of wine - feeling good and no issues of regret!

I also had noticed on my tally sheet that the nights I allow myself to drink - whether it’s the weekend plan or a work trip or a night out with friends, I’m usually at 3 glasses/night on those nights. I was happy to make a tally of one drink last night and end it there. I know it could sound like I’m making excuses for going off my plan but I actually feel really good about the way it turned out.
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the warm welcome and kind words.

I think my goal for now is to REALLY try to moderate my drinking and try to keep it to only a few a week. This would be a huge improvement, as I normally have a few drinks just about every day. Eventually, I may try to do a sober month. I think that'd be good for me!

Happy Wednesday all. Hope you have a great day!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    ErynVee wrote: »

I think my goal for now is to REALLY try to moderate my drinking and try to keep it to only a few a week. This would be a huge improvement, as I normally have a few drinks just about every day. Eventually, I may try to do a sober month. I think that'd be good for me!

Seems like a good plan. If you need anything we will try to help.

• kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Whatever works for you :) For me it's actually easier to abstain completely but everyone's different. Good luck
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Welcome! I’ve been practicing what I call “mindful moderation” since about January with really good success. I too was a daily drinker and found it really easy once I started to just mindlessly keep refilling my glass. So what I do is look at the week ahead, sometimes the month ahead, and decide what days I may want to drink and what the reasons would be. A special occasion, a night out with friends, etc. I also try be AF during the week unless it is one of those occasions and limit my drinking to the weekends. I also try to think about each drink before I pour it to make sure I really want it and I’m not just mindlessly reaching for the bottle.

It’s worked really well for me, I still drink and in some months I’ve drank more than I originally intended but since January I’ve never felt out of control, unsure of what I did the night before, regretful, or felt physically ill from drinking.

Good luck!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    kpsyche wrote: »
    Whatever works for you :) For me it's actually easier to abstain completely but everyone's different. Good luck

Not me. At least not when I wasn't really ready. I have done 30 days in the past and then completely reverted to daily drinking so it wasn't really progress. I am starting to think that regular self-evaluation and plan adaptation are the keys to whatever I will eventually consider success to be.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Vice should have been vise in my story up there. I hate when the edit window is over and I catch something.