May Self-Care Challenge

twyla77
twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
edited April 2018 in Challenges
We're all here on MFP to improve our physical health & strengthen our bodies, but what about working on our mental health? As indulgent as the term "self-care" sounds, it really is an important way to help prevent "overload burnout" as well as reduce the negative effects of every day stress.

I'm committing to 1 act of self-care every day of May. These acts don't have to be costly or time consuming, just little things that I can work into my regular schedule to help me feel good mentally while I work on feeling good physically!

If anyone wants to join this challenge please do - if you want to log in daily or a few times over the month to comment/share what you're up to, that would be great - the more ideas the better, because not everyone feels the same about certain things - some people might consider a day at the spa getting a pedicure and facial relaxing, but to me that would be a stressful afternoon! To each their own, this isn't about what's right or what's wrong, it's about what makes YOU feel good!

A few ideas from blogs, articles & friends to get started:
*try a new recipe
*say no to something without feeling guilty / realize the benefits of saying no to some things
*declutter your wardrobe / donate some items of clothing that you haven't worn or no longer fit
*get up out of your office chair and go for a walk (outdoors if possible!)
*start a puzzle
*tell yourself a body positive affirmation such as "I love _______ about my body because it makes me feel special & unique."
*go for a bike ride to nowhere in particular, just for fun! Not to get your Fitbit number up, but just because you feel like it.
*clean up your work area / desk
*unplug for a few hours and enjoy a cup of tea and a book
*buy a drugstore face-mask and a fun nail polish and have a DIY pampering session
*watch a TEDtalk about something you're interested in, or something you'd like to learn more about
*diffuse some uplifting essential oils

Anyways, even if you don't join the daily challenge, I hope you still take a bit of time in May to do something great, just for yourself! You deserve it!

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    I'm in! I love your ideas. And it's fun to spice up life by doing different things.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    May 1: Warm Epsom salts bath in AM - tea, books, sunshine
  • skylarleeanne
    skylarleeanne Posts: 2 Member
    Self-care is basically my religion, lol. Seriously though my life is ridiculously focused on it, but it's how I cope with stress and generalized anxiety disorder. Love this reminder though.

I feel for you! I was diagnosed with GAD in February (though I’ve had it much longer). It’s an ugly thing, but I’ve found that self-care, proper nutrition, and exercise really are beneficial for managing symptoms. If I slip up for even a day I suffer for many days after so I’m dedicated to consistency as well!
  • Lora2380
    Lora2380 Posts: 195 Member
    I need this, I come last.... always... I’m going to do 30 days of yoga and meditation this month (done today’s!) and going to paint my toenails tonight.
  • RubyRed427
    Day 2- 30 min. Walk in the sunshine. Sitting on the back deck listening to the birds, no music on like I sometimes do, and looking at the daffodils.
  • Beckasaurus26
    Beckasaurus26 Posts: 12 Member
    I love this idea!
    Day 1- had a nice long soak in the bath and did a sheet mask before bed
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,797 Member
    I took a bath the first day and last night I went to bed early. Today I've got my favorite Zumba class. Going to try and work in some of the other ideas on here
  • RubyRed427
    Today, I went for a mani and pedi but when i got in to the car, smudge two nails. I am going to mediate later for 30 minutes and ate a salad for dinner.
  • khunjit_js
    khunjit_js Posts: 8 Member
    Love this!
    1 - take time off to read a novel
    2 - hot oil massage
  • Beckasaurus26
    Beckasaurus26 Posts: 12 Member
    Day 2- took some time to journal and went to the gym for an hour
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I need this! My leg is injured and not being able to work out is making me feel useless and frustrated. I'm currently spending too much time ruminating about my misfortune.

Today I sat outside and watched birds in the garden. A rose I thought died last year is blooming.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    May 2
    Made a lovely meal , set a table by the front door with a vase & a single flower - just lovely!
  • twyla77
    twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
    Today, I went for a mani and pedi but when i got in to the car, smudge two nails. I am going to mediate later for 30 minutes and ate a salad for dinner.

every. single. time! i smudge every time lol!