May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @cburke8909 What is your race distance and what level training plan are you using ? Does it discuss what "Speed Pace" means? I agree with you that sounds like a pretty killer workout. 6 miles at sub 5K pace, even with the recovery after each mile, is quite a lot. In my experience, usually intervals of 1600 or longer are done at slower than 5K pace or there are far fewer of them. But then again, I have never done a truly "advanced" plan, so who knows.

@BruinsGal_91 -Awesome photo!

@garygse -I love the design!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom I'm curious too. I get mild motion sickness sometimes when I run if I look too far ahead because of my glasses bouncing on my face.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Any other glasses-wearers? I use my backup pair to run in (both RX glasses and sunglasses) but I'm thinking about getting a pair of sporty running glasses with transition lenses that I can use specifically for running. Either that, or finally getting eye surgery. Suggestions?

I wear my usual glasses, but they're unusually well-fitting and non-steamy. They do have transition lenses, which are non-negotiable for me these days. I've considered getting sportier/wrap-around glasses for biking and running on super windy or cold days. My eyes get really watery in those situations. To round out the "sports eyewear" topic, I also have a great pair of Tyr prescription goggles for swimming. They make a HUGE difference to my enjoyment of the sport.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    May Goal: 85 miles

5/1: 6 miles
    5/2: 5.75 miles

11.75/85 miles completed

5.75 hot and muggy miles this morning. I have never been a morning person, but I have been enjoying running early before it gets too hot. I'm not sure what I will do for tomorrow's planned run. It is supposed to be raining all night and all morning tomorrow. I'll probably just have to suck it up and run in the heat tomorrow afternoon. At least my new shoes should be here by then.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    5/1 Run 4.36 Miles
    5/2 Run 6.02 Miles
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    5/1 = 6 hot and humid lunch miles
    5/2 = 3 miles and 30 minutes strength training

May Goal Miles = 140 / May Miles to date = 9
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'd be super down with a SISU shirt.

I hope I make it out today. There's a good chance soccer will be cancelled due to weather, which means no trail time. I am working from home so I could go out for a few road miles at lunch time, which is probably what I'll do. It's a bit drizzly and dreary here, but nothing to make it non-runnable out.

Any other glasses-wearers? I use my backup pair to run in (both RX glasses and sunglasses) but I'm thinking about getting a pair of sporty running glasses with transition lenses that I can use specifically for running. Either that, or finally getting eye surgery. Suggestions?

I thought about doing prescription glasses for running, but opted against it. I was afraid the curve, with the sports style, would exacerbate the fish bowl sickness (work issued ones just suck). Cycling though, they are great.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »

I wear my usual glasses, but they're unusually well-fitting and non-steamy. They do have transition lenses, which are non-negotiable for me these days. I've considered getting sportier/wrap-around glasses for biking and running on super windy or cold days. My eyes get really watery in those situations. To round out the "sports eyewear" topic, I also have a great pair of Tyr prescription goggles for swimming. They make a HUGE difference to my enjoyment of the sport.

I tried transitions on my regular glasses and didn't like them, but I wonder if they didn't do a good job with the transitions job because my son has transitions and they are great. I have regular RX sunglasses for driving, and regular transitions don't work behind the windshield.

I would love RX swim goggles. I was just talking to hubby about getting some. I love swimming but I HATE not being able to see when I do it. Kind of makes me panic, actually.

I have a strap for my glasses so they fit snugly on my face when I run. I never feel the fishbowl/sickness at all.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »

I tried transitions on my regular glasses and didn't like them, but I wonder if they didn't do a good job with the transitions job because my son has transitions and they are great. I have regular RX sunglasses for driving, and regular transitions don't work behind the windshield.

I would love RX swim goggles. I was just talking to hubby about getting some. I love swimming but I HATE not being able to see when I do it. Kind of makes me panic, actually.

I have a strap for my glasses so they fit snugly on my face when I run. I never feel the fishbowl/sickness at all.

I have some transitions also. I can see close (except with distance correction), so I have a hard time making myself wear them. I have a hard time finding that one spot to look through.

I have some from work, and they are horrible. Personal ones are fine. So maybe you didn't get a good fit on the one pair?
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    At least my new shoes should be here by then.
    WOW, you have been waiting on those shoes for a while now. Hope they come in today!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I MAY be guilty of some of these...

37 Mistakes Runners Can’t Stop Making
    https://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention/37-mistakes-runners-cant-stop-making

@PastorVincent Oh man, so many... 4, 5, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 26, 27 (I once ran out of water 2/3 of the way through a 3 hour 80F trail run... it was misery), 31. Do I win some kind of award? :D

If you get an award @kristinegift, then so do I -- 1, 3, 5, 8, 10, 13, 17 (&18), 24, 31...
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    ok killer workout this am I did the 6 intervals each a mile long and except for the one that was mostly uphill I was at a 7:15 pace or better. The 3 minutes of recovery were just about right and any quicker a pace would probably not be possible. On one mostly downhill mile I did break 7 minutes.
    Damn son! Those are some speedy miles! Very impressive! I want to be you some day.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 I have about ten years to become @Mobycarp. I doubt it will happen but there was a day when he would have told you the same. I must be careful not to overdo and get injured.
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270
    I'm studying Shorei Goju Ryu which is originally an Okinawan blend of karate that mixes the Japanese "hard" forms (explosive,powerful) and Chinese "soft" karate forms (flowing, graceful). I really enjoy it and it is very often a fairly strenuous cardio workout.

• Elise4270
    Options
    Sliedur wrote: »
    @Elise4270
    I'm studying Shorei Goju Ryu which is originally an Okinawan blend of karate that mixes the Japanese "hard" forms (explosive,powerful) and Chinese "soft" karate forms (flowing, graceful). I really enjoy it and it is very often a fairly strenuous cardio workout.

Oooo! Sounds amazing!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Elise4270

Oooo! Sounds amazing!

@Elise4270 Just as an FYI: You mentioned that Jujitsu is what you have near you. It is a grappling-heavy style. Think wrestling more than Karate. That might be exactly what you are looking for, or not. Just wanted to point that out. Personally, having studied a half dozen styles or so now, I prefer ones like Aikido that use your opponent's strength against them as opposed the Karate or TKD that are all about hitting brutally hard. But everyone has their preference.

If you just want a hard work out, look for kickboxing. The classes I have seen for them can be brutal. :D
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Elise4270

Oooo! Sounds amazing!

@Elise4270 Just as an FYI: You mentioned that Jujitsu is what you have near you. It is a grappling-heavy style. Think wrestling more than Karate. That might be exactly what you are looking for, or not. Just wanted to point that out. Personally, having studied a half dozen styles or so now, I prefer ones like Aikido that use your opponent's strength against them as opposed the Karate or TKD that are all about hitting brutally hard. But everyone has their preference.

If you just want a hard work out, look for kickboxing. The classes I have seen for them can be brutal. :D

I don't think we have kickboxing available.... Guess I'll have to pass on the martial arts class altogether. DH would like it, he wrestled in HS.

Thanks for the info!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    If I could actually manage to stick to a schedule in my personal life I would go back to taekwondo...
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    5/1 6miles
    5/2 9.92miles

Did an easy 6 miles yesterday.

This morning I went back to the state park and ran the trails. The workout was 8 miles, then 8 strides. It was 70 degrees when I go to the park, so I was slower. I think I feel slower (therefore I am) when I have to wear my hydration pack regardless of how much water is in there. I did pick up the pace the last 3 miles, but running through the hilly and beachy sections was tough! I was really happy to be done.

It's only going to get hotter from here on out!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K

5/28/2018 Run to Remember 5K
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon