• abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    Goal: To reverse time with the speed of my feet. (AKA Superman II) AKA^2 The best superman.

Secondary Goal: Let everyone know I fight with depression and bi-polar disorder. Total High/Low personality.

My son s bipolar. He struggles with alcohol too. You know there's nothing but support and love in this group. *Sisu fist bump*
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent sounds like a great plan. I know you are chomping at the bit and feel like a caged animal right now, but try to relax and use that energy for the race. Really pulling for you for sub 4 (that is my ultimate goal for Houston in January). Best of luck!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    May...I'll be easy and say 150 miles. May 20 I'm starting a high mileage training plan for Last Chance BQ.2 in Geneva, Illinois. So I'll be up there with my mate Gary and that sheep person that runs in Boston (lol). MobyCarp drops an injured 41:30 at a 10k (aka my PR). Dear Lord let him be a horseman of the Apocalypse or give me swifter feet.
    Crack me up. I was wondering who that sheep person is too!
    @Shanaber- Love your "7 reasons"!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5 mile group speed/track workout, then upper body weights / abs.
    5/2 - Overslept...unplanned rest day.
    5/3 - 4 treadmill miles. Trek Class.

9/120
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I've been stalking the weather forecast for Sunday. So far it looks to be pretty good. Low 50s at the start then warming up to the high 70s, but hopefully I will be done before then. There is a chance of thunderstorms later in the day which worries me because out weather people often miss the timing on those kinds of things. Oh well, I will be running either way. Can hardly complain after what @MobyCarp dealt with in Boston and @MNLittleFinn and @7Lenny7 at Zumbro, right?

Another runner told me the weather is a neutral factor. On race day, everyone gets the same weather. I maintain that runners who trained in the weather that shows up on race day have an advantage. The more extreme the weather is, the greater the advantage for having trained in it.

At Boston, I had a HUGE advantage over everyone who let rain drive them indoors to run on a dreadmill. Among other things, I knew precisely what I wanted to wear in that weather. No floppy plastic bags for me.

Of course this only matters if you are competing with the other runners. I have no delusions of placing in my age group in this large race, so my only goal is to have fun running it. It's likely to be a lot more fun if it's not thunder storming.

But to your point, I totally agree. Although it wasn't very extreme, I know the heat at Boston affected some runners last year (2017). I had made a point of doing some of my training runs in the mid afternoon because I hadn't been acclimated to the heat after training through the winter. I am pretty sure that was a wise move because, even though I wasn't running for a PR and was nearly 15 minutes slower than my qualifying time, I still finished over 6000 spots ahead of where I started.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent it sounds like you have a great plan for race day!

@juliet3455 I think sand is my least favorite surface to run on. Mud I like, loose sand I despise. It sounds like you did a great job executing on race day, given your undertraining. Congrats on the AG finish!

@lporter229 have a great race on Sunday!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I maintain that runners who trained in the weather that shows up on race day have an advantage. The more extreme the weather is, the greater the advantage for having trained in it.

Truth. I ran my first HM the day before Boston and we got the same weather including the ridiculous wind. We ran dead into the teeth of a steady 20 mph wind with much stronger gusts for the closing 7 miles.

I trained in cold and rain and wasn't bothered by them. Wind, however, is my nemesis. I never do anything in the wind and hate it with a passion. Safe to say that it totally killed my race. I didn't prepare properly (I wore baggier rain gear, etc.) and had no idea how to adapt to the environment (didn't even think of a drafting strategy, nor had any clue how to adjust my pacing to account for the tail/head winds out and back).

I hated every minute into the headwind on the return and stopped trying/caring by mile 10. I only finished the race because I had to get back to my car anyway!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I've been stalking the weather forecast for Sunday. So far it looks to be pretty good. Low 50s at the start then warming up to the high 70s, but hopefully I will be done before then. There is a chance of thunderstorms later in the day which worries me because out weather people often miss the timing on those kinds of things. Oh well, I will be running either way. Can hardly complain after what @MobyCarp dealt with in Boston and @MNLittleFinn and @7Lenny7 at Zumbro, right?

Another runner told me the weather is a neutral factor. On race day, everyone gets the same weather. I maintain that runners who trained in the weather that shows up on race day have an advantage. The more extreme the weather is, the greater the advantage for having trained in it.

At Boston, I had a HUGE advantage over everyone who let rain drive them indoors to run on a dreadmill. Among other things, I knew precisely what I wanted to wear in that weather. No floppy plastic bags for me.

Of course this only matters if you are competing with the other runners. I have no delusions of placing in my age group in this large race, so my only goal is to have fun running it. It's likely to be a lot more fun if it's not thunder storming.

But to your point, I totally agree. Although it wasn't very extreme, I know the heat at Boston affected some runners last year (2017). I had made a point of doing some of my training runs in the mid afternoon because I hadn't been acclimated to the heat after training through the winter. I am pretty sure that was a wise move because, even though I wasn't running for a PR and was nearly 15 minutes slower than my qualifying time, I still finished over 6000 spots ahead of where I started.

I think it matters even if you're not competing with others. Attitude is everything and if you've trained in the same terrible conditions as race day, then you can draw on that experience, be confident in your ability to perform, and go about the race with a better attitude.

Now if you try to train in terrible conditions but quit halfway through the run and go home, that of course wouldn't be a confidence booster.