Dating a Divorced, Older Man

Options

Replies

• WhisperingNighthawk
    WhisperingNighthawk Posts: 138 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Some people just aren't complimentary, especially if they were never given any affirmation themselves. In the same way some people don't purchase gifts or give you flowers or make a big deal over special occasions. But it doesn't mean they don't care or that they don't think you look really nice. It may just be his personality and if you care about him you may have to accept it.

If you're really happy with your relationship, try not to take it personally, which I know is hard. Instead, pay more attention to his behavior. It sounds like he really cares about you. As they say actions speak louder than words.

Just be confident in yourself, and if he cares even a little bit, he will help you in doing that. If you guys have a strong relationship, then affirmations shouldn't be a major concern, although it is always nice to recieve a compliment. If you really care about him and he makes you happy give him some more time, it's only been 9 months. He may just come around!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion...................I've trained a lot of divorced guys (they're trying to get back into shape to get back into the game), and many times we converse about getting remarried......................I have yet have to talk to one that ever wanted to. And this is over 20 years of doing this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    swagoner94 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I think I will set a "deadline" in my own mind with little non-nagging nudges every now and then, and encouragement when he does show some improvement. If there's no significant change by that time-frame, I will do the hard task of moving on amicably.

I know you're all strangers but I sincerely appreciate your honest advice.

As long as you know that it will come across as nagging... :laugh:
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    tl;dr but all I can say is don't get pregnant

Best advice on this whole thread!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Some guys just don't find it easy to compliment, flatter or be openly affectionate. For him it's once bitten, twice shy so it's understandable he's going to want to take things slowly.
    I realise that doesn't help you, but you're going to have to be patient I feel.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    You're coworkers. Do or would you know if this relationship makes others uncomfortable in your workplace. Workplace romances can cause tension. Do you keep it strictly professional or is their connection at the workplace, do you ultimately have the same boss. All this matters. If it should come to an end, usually, someone is going out the door due to hard feelings or the boss. Your livelihood and supporting yourself is #1.

I think you should drop it like it's hot and cut your losses now. Love language means little when you're out looking for another job. I think there's too many red flags here for your heart. <3
  • swagoner94
    swagoner94 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    You're coworkers. Do or would you know if this relationship makes others uncomfortable in your workplace. Workplace romances can cause tension. Do you keep it strictly professional or is their connection at the workplace, do you ultimately have the same boss. All this matters. If it should come to an end, usually, someone is going out the door due to hard feelings or the boss. Your livelihood and supporting yourself is #1.

I think you should drop it like it's hot and cut your losses now. Love language means little when you're out looking for another job. I think there's too many red flags here for your heart. <3
    Mari22na wrote: »

Hi! Thanks. We’d be fine at work. Different bosses. No direct relation between my area and his. We keep it pretty professional. I’m sure people have picked up on it though. HR knows. Studio heads know. No problems.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Alrighty then. Report back. I know what you want.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I have a different opinion than the others I've read so far. I don't think he has commitment issues because his actions all speak to the fact that he likes you and wants to spend time with you. He hasn't verabalised his feelings because he is being cautious in case things don't work out again. I think maybe he just needs more time. I also think you could work on your need for verbal affirmation as it seems to be stopping you from fully appreciating his actions towards you.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I've never understood this need people feel to get married. Marriage doesn't make a relationship great or a love deeper, that's just a perception; if the relationship is good, then what does it matter whether you're married or not? Do you love him or the idea of marriage? It sounds like it is the second one you're more in love with, to be honest; the idea of marriage over the reality of him.