Narcissistic or not?

Options
124»

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with posting those types of pics.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Haven't read many of the responses, but as far as this site goes, your photo (along with other obviously fit people, both male & female), may be just the inspiration some one may need to help them be successful in their own goals. I say both thumbs up to anything that gives inspiration to another person!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Enjoy and celebrate your accomplishments, it's that simple.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The "Success Stories" thread here is a perfect place to display your story--people are there looking for examples to model and inspire. If you post selfies too often (what that number is I don't know) you are slipping down the slope toward vanity. Moderation in all things. Pride is one of the seven deadly sins.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I follow lots of fitness models, UFC / MMA folks, nutritional folks, and fashion models on IG. I enjoy it and I don't see anything wrong with it. Seeing others share their workouts, successes and even failures is inspiring to me. But I also enjoy the artistic aspect of photography. I personally have refrained from sharing progress photos there, but I do share my recipes which are largely Vegetarian and health related not all certainly a majority. I do share progress photos here on my news feed when I have a milestone.
    The primary reason I do not share my progress photos on FB and IG is that only a handful of my real life friends and family would appreciate them. Most of my friends are musicians or artists, and really have zero interest or clue about my fitness journey. So most would just ignore or not care, but some of those people may actually get super judgemental or snarky about it. I guess I shouldn't care about those peoples opinions but I do.

Either way, I don't think taking photos of yourself is inherently narcissistic. People who are proud of their fitness journey should be allowed to share it without being shamed for it. But it goes beyond that. I have girlfriends who are really into hair dressing, make up and tattoos, they love to get glammed up for the camera and do cool photo shoots. There's nothing wrong with any of that. The real problem lies in the judgemental jerks, who want to shame everyone else for things they are jealous of or simply don't understand.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Easy answer, don't worry what others think.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the point of instagram-to post pics? Seems a bit ridiculous for people to visit the site and then negatively label people who use it for it's intended purpose.

Then again that is one of the pitfalls of social media-it is just another avenue for some people to trash other people and try to make themselves feel better.

I shouldn't sweat it; it says everything about their frame of mind and nothing about you because they don't know anything about you in the first place.
  • nettiklive
    nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    To me, physique pictures on general social media accounts, simply for the point of bragging, scream,I don't know, kinda desperate and attention-wh*ring and trashy for lack of a better word. But then I'm in my mid-thirties so that may have changed my perspective, I can see my 20 yo self not seeing anything wrong with it.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I hate seeing people’s half naked gym photos on my regular fb/Instagram feed even though I’m into fitness myself and in good shape. There’s no jealousy involved. Such posts almost always come across as showing off, humble brags, attention seeking, fishing for likes, or any combination above. Find another forum to do so. Like here, bodybuilder.com, reddit, or any other fitness focused platforms.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    mengqiz86 wrote: »
    I hate seeing people’s half naked gym photos on my regular fb/Instagram feed even though I’m into fitness myself and in good shape. There’s no jealousy involved. Such posts almost always come across as showing off, humble brags, attention seeking, fishing for likes, or any combination above. Find another forum to do so. Like here, bodybuilder.com, reddit, or any other fitness focused platforms.

I read somewhere that people dislike others that humblebrag more than people that just outright brag..........come to think of it I do too lol. I had a coworker that would do this, but it was worse because she would humblebrag about all of us like our dept and all of us were the best and most important, lord I would facepalm hard when she would do this, sorry but radiology? We're not saving lives here, just doing our part.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Only place I post any physique pics is on this site since it is about fitness and progress. I rarely take my shirt off in public, or even the beach unless I am going in the water or trying to tan a bit. My fitness is for me, no one else needs to see it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Posting photos: Not necessarily narcissistic.
    Complaining that other people thought your photos were narcissistic--Now that's narcissistic.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    mengqiz86 wrote: »

Some people (like myself as I mentioned) have a separate Instragram for those sort of posts. If people who aren't interested want to follow that one then that is up to them. I follow a lot of bodybuilders and they post progress shots all the time and I enjoy seeing them.

OP at the end of the day many people will judge anything we do, do what you want to do .. I never regret sharing my progress, I may come off a certain way, so be it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

** ETA: I don't even own a cat.

Of course not. The cat owns you.

Now, off to read the rest of the thread.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    Why do some individuals perceive one to be a tool for posting a physique picture? I am proud of my own progress and most people are supportive. However, some people always think I’m egotistical or arrogant for doing so. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Why care what others think of you? Be happy and not a tool in life and things will be just fine til you die.