Are there really no bad carbs?

Options
12346»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Shame that as usual in threads like this, an OP throws out an inflammatory misrepresentation of what people are actually advising on these boards, and then fails to come back to engage in further conversation once people have attempted to clarify and correct the misinformation and stress how unhelpful straw man arguments really are.

I think OP made a couple of quick responses on Page 1 but nothing since, so as usual, everyone is just restating what we already know - that no one is actually advocating that cookies and broccoli are the same thing, or suggesting that nutrition isn't important, or that a person might be ignorant enough to think that saying that calories are all that matter for weight loss is a free pass to eat nothing but calorie dense, low nutrition items.

If MFP holds true to form though - we should get a white knight in here any minute now swearing that they too have seen this terrible advice being doled out willy nilly and then trying to educate all of the veteran posters on how we should be more specific and thorough to include the disclaimer about nutrition and satiety in EVERY SINGLE POST in case some poor noob misunderstands what we are actually saying.

amiright?

Time for a flogging a dead horse gif you mean?! :bigsmile:
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I've never seen one person recommend an "all cake and cookie diet" - that's ridiculous, although perhaps you should look up the Twinkie diet.

I don't believe attaching negative connotations to food and eating is healthy.

Here is info on the twinkie diet if anyone is interested
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Putting up a person who doesn't exist, a person saying "eat cookies all day", to argue against is silly. You no know one is saying that so who are you even arguing against.

Here is what they are actually saying. They are saying that it is not a good idea to classify certain foods as being either "good" or "bad" because it is subjective and dependant on an individuals needs, wants and saeity what foods would be beneficial or detrimental to their goals.

Sure eating nothing but cookies all day would be a terrible diet for anyone, I'd say that is universally true (assuming we mean like a sugar cookie or something). However it would also be universally true that eating nothing but broccolli all day would be a terrible diet. That doesn't make cookies or broccoli themselves "bad" that makes that particular diet bad. Do you not get that difference?

One can have a good diet that includes cookies because cookies aren't inherently "bad" but of course a diet of entirely cookies would be a bad diet....and no one is saying otherwise. So who are you even talking to with this? One can be held accountable for one what says, but one cannot be held accountable for others incredible leaps of logic to the point of ridiculousness.

Noooo! You don't understaaand!

The bad carbs are like . . . like . . . those exploding dye packets that bank tellers hide in sacks of bank robbery cash. Everything looks all wonderful on the surface, but then . . . kablooie! You eat the bad carbs and they explode and get the badness all over your other foods, and they ruin everything.

The bad carbs release a miasma of evil in your metabolism, and the insulin comes out and starts storing everything as body fat, including your muscles if you had any, and maybe some of the knick knacks in your living room that you won't notice missing. Then the evil cloud saps your energy and makes you sick.

One cookie ruins everything, even within your calorie goal, even if it has organic raisins in it, and oatmeal. Eat clean every minute, or give up nowwww!

( ;););) )

(I didn't really put enough caps in there, did I? ;) ).

Not enough caps. Too much punctuation and white space. I give it a 7.5.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Putting up a person who doesn't exist, a person saying "eat cookies all day", to argue against is silly. You no know one is saying that so who are you even arguing against.

Here is what they are actually saying. They are saying that it is not a good idea to classify certain foods as being either "good" or "bad" because it is subjective and dependant on an individuals needs, wants and saeity what foods would be beneficial or detrimental to their goals.

Sure eating nothing but cookies all day would be a terrible diet for anyone, I'd say that is universally true (assuming we mean like a sugar cookie or something). However it would also be universally true that eating nothing but broccolli all day would be a terrible diet. That doesn't make cookies or broccoli themselves "bad" that makes that particular diet bad. Do you not get that difference?

One can have a good diet that includes cookies because cookies aren't inherently "bad" but of course a diet of entirely cookies would be a bad diet....and no one is saying otherwise. So who are you even talking to with this? One can be held accountable for one what says, but one cannot be held accountable for others incredible leaps of logic to the point of ridiculousness.

Noooo! You don't understaaand!

The bad carbs are like . . . like . . . those exploding dye packets that bank tellers hide in sacks of bank robbery cash. Everything looks all wonderful on the surface, but then . . . kablooie! You eat the bad carbs and they explode and get the badness all over your other foods, and they ruin everything.

The bad carbs release a miasma of evil in your metabolism, and the insulin comes out and starts storing everything as body fat, including your muscles if you had any, and maybe some of the knick knacks in your living room that you won't notice missing. Then the evil cloud saps your energy and makes you sick.

One cookie ruins everything, even within your calorie goal, even if it has organic raisins in it, and oatmeal. Eat clean every minute, or give up nowwww!

( ;););) )

(I didn't really put enough caps in there, did I? ;) ).

Must... have... awesome... button... back *twitch twitch*
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I really was wishing she’d come back and at least tell us what bad carbs are.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    I really was wishing she’d come back and at least tell us what bad carbs are.

She has to have the record for woos on an initial post, no? Anyone seen a higher number?

A total strawman argument that no one said ever!!