Ask the Cop

Options

Replies

• xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    LSmith0018 wrote: »
    What's the deal with that stock audio clip they always play in movies and TV whenever a police radio is on?
    What does "Seven eight five, code six..." even mean?

That’s probably out of California. Like saying there’s a 211 in progress. Which is an armed robbery there. In my area that’s a 10-65.

10-65 here is a general broadcast.

I really think they should make that nation wide. So when multi agency situations arise there’s less confusion and they don’t have to revert to plain talk. Ties up too much air time.

I never understood why there wasn't a universal or national 10 code system yet.

Amen! Since 911 and Katrina there has been a big push with plain talk. I don’t agree with it.

It's to remove confusion on codes, especially with new people they may say the wrong code under stress or the dispatcher hears it incorrectly. Short, simple, messages is better than a whole string of 10-codes thrown out there.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options
    Can we name y'all Ponch and John? Can you selfie on motorcycles please? And wear tight pants and aviators.

What about Andy and Barney or Roscoe and Cletus? :laugh:
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been tased ?
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Good morning officer :)

Have you ever been arrested?

Nope.

Wanna be?.. I got cuffs ;)>:)
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options
    strwbry74 wrote: »
    strwbry74 wrote: »
    is it hard to remember what all the police codes mean?

They can differ from department to department.

It becomes second language.

Very very true. are you in Leo?

Yes... Supervisor over multi-agency 911/dispatch center. Law, EMS and Fire.... busy girl here :wink:

Appreciate your service.

I second Chris' sentiments.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Did the fire academy turn you down?

Hahaha. Not a chance.

A lot of my fireman buddies would love that you asked me that.

There's getting to be a lot of crossover in my area. We have a few LEOs on my department. Some were LEO prior to joining, others were fire while going to college and then through the academy.
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Are badge bunnies a thing?

I have no idea what a badge bunny is. I need some enlightenment folks!!
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options
    grm10375 wrote: »

Women who love men in uniforms that wear badges.
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    grm10375 wrote: »

Women who love men in uniforms that wear badges.

Really? I’m in a super small podunk town. I had no idea. So weird that that’s a thing.
  • RunningJustIncase
    RunningJustIncase Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi! How are you?
    Question: would rather arrest a man or woman and why?
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,215 Member
    Options
    Can you get a DUI while pushing a bicycle?

Not a DUI, but public intox.

What about the canoe?

To my knowledge, no; it’s considered “human power” because of the rows. I’d have to defer to lake patrol.

Depends upon the state. In various states, you can get a DUI while riding a bicycle. Anyone operating a boat while drunk could be charged with boating while drunk.
    81Katz wrote: »
    Have you ever apprehended a perp and upon driving them back to the jail have you ever stopped to #2? Now, do you leave the perp in the car or do you bring them inside and handcuff them to a pipe in the bathroom? Ya know, for safe keeping?

If you have that emergency you have to have another officer stand by with the prisoner while you do what you have to do. I luckily have never had that happen but that has always been a fear for sure.

My fear is being on scene and suited up, and that "oh no..." dread comes over you and you know you've got to get out but you can't. :lol:

What's the deal with that stock audio clip they always play in movies and TV whenever a police radio is on?

That’s probably out of California. Like saying there’s a 211 in progress. Which is an armed robbery there. In my area that’s a 10-65.

I really think they should make that nation wide. So when multi agency situations arise there’s less confusion and they don’t have to revert to plain talk. Ties up too much air time.

Yep, you LEO's sure do have a lot of chatter and confusing messages. Luckily, we're well integrated with NIMS. It'll be good for you guys to get with the program.

https://www.fema.gov/pdf/emergency/nims/nimsfaqs.pdf

Omg!!! I’m NIMs certified. Up through middle management. Don’t remind me.

You boys sit back and do that. Just tell me where to go and what to do.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options
    Can you get a DUI while pushing a bicycle?

Not a DUI, but public intox.

What about the canoe?

To my knowledge, no; it’s considered “human power” because of the rows. I’d have to defer to lake patrol.

Depends upon the state. In various states, you can get a DUI while riding a bicycle. Anyone operating a boat while drunk could be charged with boating while drunk.
    81Katz wrote: »
    Have you ever apprehended a perp and upon driving them back to the jail have you ever stopped to #2? Now, do you leave the perp in the car or do you bring them inside and handcuff them to a pipe in the bathroom? Ya know, for safe keeping?

If you have that emergency you have to have another officer stand by with the prisoner while you do what you have to do. I luckily have never had that happen but that has always been a fear for sure.

My fear is being on scene and suited up, and that "oh no..." dread comes over you and you know you've got to get out but you can't. :lol:

Yep, you LEO's sure do have a lot of chatter and confusing messages. Luckily, we're well integrated with NIMS. It'll be good for you guys to get with the program.

https://www.fema.gov/pdf/emergency/nims/nimsfaqs.pdf

Omg!!! I’m NIMs certified. Up through middle management. Don’t remind me.

You boys sit back and do that. Just tell me where to go and what to do.

It actually makes a lot of sense once you learn it, and what the intention is for. I'm currently going through "Blue Card" training, which brings it down to the local level and it's even better. But, I don't agree with it all since some of it is really over done.

• kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    Have you ever been tased ?

Yes I have. Multiple times.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Did the fire academy turn you down?

Hahaha. Not a chance.

A lot of my fireman buddies would love that you asked me that.

There's getting to be a lot of crossover in my area. We have a few LEOs on my department. Some were LEO prior to joining, others were fire while going to college and then through the academy.

Our tactical medic on our SRT/SWAT is the fire Marshall.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    Can cops do like a double twisty backflip?

Yes. While twerking.