Ask the Cop

Options

Replies

• LSmith0018
    LSmith0018 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    LSmith0018 wrote: »
    What's the deal with that stock audio clip they always play in movies and TV whenever a police radio is on?
    What does "Seven eight five, code six..." even mean?

That’s probably out of California. Like saying there’s a 211 in progress. Which is an armed robbery there. In my area that’s a 10-65.

10-65 here is a general broadcast.

I really think they should make that nation wide. So when multi agency situations arise there’s less confusion and they don’t have to revert to plain talk. Ties up too much air time.

Yes. I hate being in a pursuit, patched in with a neighboring agency not know what the hell they are getting at sometimes.
  • Renaissance_Turtle
    Renaissance_Turtle Posts: 960 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    What's the deal with that stock audio clip they always play in movies and TV whenever a police radio is on?

That’s probably out of California. Like saying there’s a 211 in progress. Which is an armed robbery there. In my area that’s a 10-65.

I really think they should make that nation wide. So when multi agency situations arise there’s less confusion and they don’t have to revert to plain talk. Ties up too much air time.

I never understood why there wasn't a universal or national 10 code system yet.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    Have you ever had to arrest another cop?

Yes

Go on...

I’ve arrested for resist delay obstruct.

My team has had to arrest for DWI and domestic assault.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Are badge bunnies a thing?

This is a good question though. If a guy, even a cute fit guy, started a thread called Ask An Assistant Manager Of An Auto Parts Store - would he have gotten this kind of response, especially from so many ladies?

Well, no, because this thread clearly is ask THE cop. Not some random cop.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

I never understood why there wasn't a universal or national 10 code system yet.

Amen! Since 911 and Katrina there has been a big push with plain talk. I don’t agree with it.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Johnda85 wrote: »
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    My Sister (Who happens to be very pretty) has gotten let go EVERY SINGLE time she has ever been pulled over.
    Just_J_Now wrote: »
    I have another question.

Have you ever let someone get out of a ticket you were sure they deserved and why did you let them off the hook?

I stopped a hot, snobby *kitten* not long ago. I cited that *kitten* and her dean or changed when she realized I wasn’t falling for her flattery. It’s offending actually.

Just be real and be honest, own up to your *kitten*, and I’ll usually always send you away with a warning. Try and use teasing good looks and flattery to persuade me, I’ll ticket that *kitten*.

I've never once gotten a ticket although I've been stopped several times. I've found a smile and genuine honesty and manners works just fine. Sorry Officer, I was late for work/blaring my music loudly and too into my jam. :smile:

I made a statement similar to that once... got a ticket that same day. good luck lol

The last time I got pulled over I was honest. The cop asked if I knew what I was pulled over for and I responded "For doing something really stupid." He laughed and said, "Ok, as long as you don't do it again, I will just give you a warning". I have only gotten one ticket, I was 18 and really really stupid. Driving 60 in a 25 (not residential before anyone yells at me for almost hitting kids) I deserved that ticket. I had no qualms about accepting it.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I was super nice to the guy who pulled me over, trooper, sheriff? I dunno. He was nice too. Still gave me ticket. (1st)
    Figured a joke about popping my legal cherry was inappropriate so I kept that one to myself and just took the ticket.
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options

This is a good question though. If a guy, even a cute fit guy, started a thread called Ask An Assistant Manager Of An Auto Parts Store - would he have gotten this kind of response, especially from so many ladies?

I’mma try
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »
    Do you judge people who keep a handcuff key on their keychain?
    I don’t judge people. I simply profile.

As in racial profile? :o

Criminal profile.

I was actually kidding but it does happen. I was once pulled over and my son was in the passenger side next to me and the officer immediately asked for his ID as well as mine. Not sure why as I was the one driving and not him but I just got a racist vibe from the dude. Maybe he thought we were illegal or something. That's always an assumption where I live. I hate it.

I ID everyone in the car, every time. A traffic stop is considered an investigation and I have the right to ID everyone in the car. I find a lot of warrants that way.

Arent you only allowed to ask for ID if a person has committed or is suspected of committing a crime?

You can ask anyone anything. Depending on the scenario the individual can just refuse to provide that information. If however as you put it “is part of that investigative stop” they refuse to provide the information then they are subject to being arrested for “resist, delay and obstruction” charges.

I don't see one good reason to ID every passenger in a vehicle for a routine traffic stop as our OP stated is his MO. He blatantly admitted to finding many warrants that way, but unless the person in question has committed or is suspected of committing a crime and not just a passenger in a vehicle or walking down the street freely... you can ask, but they are not required by law to provide you that information. If you arrested them at this point, would that not be an unlawful arrest?
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

I’mma try

Who's the real hero here? You.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options

I will say that this thread has caused me to talk about more cop stuff than I have my previous two years here.

That's because I used to think you weren't a real cop. I thought you were a stripper cop. :confounded:
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options

I’mma try

Who's the real hero here? You.

Anyone who signs up for a job where they may lose their lives or the lives of those they serve with and grow close to are heroes. Don’t discredit these amazing gentlemen
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options

I will say that this thread has caused me to talk about more cop stuff than I have my previous two years here.

That's because I used to think you weren't a real cop. I thought you were a stripper cop. :confounded:

I was shocked his name isn't Mike. :wink:
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Just my thoughts - so cops pull people over for speeding, then don't give a ticket and just a "warning". Are these warnings documented? I was told no and feel they should be. I've been pulled over 3 times for speeding (all under 10 over) and each time received a ticket. The 3rd time I was 9 months pregnant and after the cop said he was giving me a ticket I let him know warnings should be documented and he didn't appreciate my "commentary" he said. :D
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Can we name y'all Ponch and John? Can you selfie on motorcycles please? And wear tight pants and aviators.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    I was super nice to the guy who pulled me over, trooper, sheriff? I dunno. He was nice too. Still gave me ticket. (1st)
    Figured a joke about popping my legal cherry was inappropriate so I kept that one to myself and just took the ticket.

Hahaha. I would die if someone said that to me.

Here’s what happens a lot of time. You have different officers that specialize in certain areas. Assigned to units or whatever. So the odds of getting “off” with a traffic guy is low.

If you encounter a SWAT guy who normally handles high risk calls and deals with search warrants then the traffic violation “if minor” is likely to receive a verbal warning. Even in smaller departments you’ll find certain guys assigned to these units.

Traffic is honestly only 10% or less of what your municipality officers deal with. Most normal people have no clue what really happens. The city’s want it that way too. They don’t want the customers and residents to know about all the foot chases and fights that happened just a block away the night before. Or about all the neighbor shootings, stabbings, robberies and home invasions.

Sorry Ill step off the soap box. This is why I avoid talking about this stuff.
  • WendyJoy76
    WendyJoy76 Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Can we name y'all Ponch and John? Can you selfie on motorcycles please? And wear tight pants and aviators.

yes please ! ;)