June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Because of various circumstances, I have had to shift my workouts to the morning before work. I won't go into detail here, but it's the best thing for my mental health to get it done before work.

I am NOT a morning person, so getting up early is very tough. Luckily I have a fiance to prepare my chai and wake me up. :smile:

Today was a walk day. 3 miles in the AM and a couple additional breaks to get more steps during the day. I will also be doing yoga after work. (Doing yoga after work is also good for my mental health!)

Tomorrow will be a running day, and my goal will be 2.5 miles again.

Hang on to that fiance of yours ;)My husband's response to the alarm going off at 4:30 AM was "You're insane".

@fitoverfortymom - I feel very much the same about trails right now. Wednesdays and Sundays are my trail days and I find myself looking forward to those days all week.

BTW, it's now 2:30 and I am suddenly reminded why I don't usually run in the morning...zzzzzz...

That's my husbands response too. Oh, and if I let the snooze alarm go off too many times he starts throwing pillows at me. LOL
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    I haven't caught up yet from a couple of days of life/family getting in the way of posting here. I will be back later this afternoon to read and respond but I wanted to say Happy Global Running Day! and also to post this great article on slow runners to which I greatly identify with :)
    https://www.active.com/running/articles/an-ode-to-slow-runners?cmp=18N-PB2000-S20-T9-running-AR3&eps=title_670376
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Been a crazy month so far. Haven't checked in yet. Here's where I'm at:

6/1 - 2.1 miles with my daughter, then 3.5 on my own.
    6/2 - Out of town for a baseball tournament.
    6/3 - 4.7 miles.
    6/4 - 3.4 treadmill miles, then upper body weights / abs.
    6/5 - Unplanned rest day.
    6/6 - 5 miles on National Running Day.

18.7/100
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom – Skippy is so darn cute! Congratulations to the both of you! (Our run picture is definitely a before!). Thanks for that inspiring article also.
    @_nikkiwolf_ - Actually, two of the girls start at 4:45, do a short out-and-back to meet the rest of us slackers at 5:00 am!
    @shanaber – Awesome article! I think that she and I share the same non-competitive gene. I’m a slow-poke. I don’t have the “runners body.” I just want to run!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I haven't caught up yet from a couple of days of life/family getting in the way of posting here. I will be back later this afternoon to read and respond but I wanted to say Happy Global Running Day! and also to post this great article on slow runners to which I greatly identify with :)
    https://www.active.com/running/articles/an-ode-to-slow-runners?cmp=18N-PB2000-S20-T9-running-AR3&eps=title_670376

This is great!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom-Skip is adorable. You have every right to be a proud momma. I hope her guy is a good catch. Also, I will second that McDonalds is a good place to stop for water. Everyone in my running group agrees that, for some reason, the water from their little beverage spigot tastes so good in the middle of a long hot run. And they never mind us dropping in just to use the bathroom and drink their water!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, my sunscreen follow-up got a woo! That might be the first woo I've seen on this thread since I started following it last month. Admittedly, I miss a lot of posts.

Really muggy short run this AM. My alarm went off at 5:15 and I immediately saw lightning, so I checked the weather and reset my alarm for 6:30. The extra sleep was nice and I eventually went running around 9:30, but it was still really, really damp so I cut it a little short. I'm still glad I went out, but I had to push myself not to walk the last half a mile or so.

JUNE MILES:
    6/1 Fr - 0:26:41 - 2.40
    6/2 Sa - 0:54:37 - 4.73
    6/3 Su - rest
    6/4 Mo - lifted heavy things
    6/5 Tu - 0:32:23 - 3.00
    6/6 We - 0:22:47 - 2.11
    6/7 Th - lift
    6/8 Fr - 2.30
    6/9 Sa - 5.50
    6/10 Su - rest

Total Ran: 12.24 miles
    June Goal: 60 miles

Races!
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 5K (thinking about switching to 10K)
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Well Happy Global Running Day, everyone! I didn't know, but ran anyway.
    I somewhat reluctantly woke up at 5:15 am to meet a friend who wants to start running. We did C25K week 1 day 1 together, and she called me "coach" :) I hope I can be a good encouragement to her, and that she'll stick with it.
    I had to chuckle at this - years ago I had a good friend ask me to help her train for a 1/2 marathon. However, when I'd say "let's meet (wherever) and run 3 miles" she'd respond "I don't want to run there." When I'd say, "we're going to run as fast as we can to that park bench - go!" - I'd get to the bench, look around and she'd be walking and tell me "I didn't feel like doing that." When we did run - all she did was tell me how much she hated running. We did finish a 1/2 together - she asked me to do another with her - but I declined because I just couldn't handle all the negativity. However - she is still one of my BEST friends. Go figure.

Oh dear! I guess you just have to laugh. I've tried to help people like that at other things, and in a few cases have had to "fire" them from getting my help - they weren't listening to what I was telling them anyway! Also part of my job deals with a demographic of people who, unfortunately, very dramatically need help, but there's nothing we can do for them if they are not willing to admit they have a problem, and do what is required of them. I have really been growing in the area of healthy personal boundaries, specifically in accepting that I cannot help everyone. I do think that my new-runner friend has promise, though. We shall see!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hahaha, my sunscreen follow-up got a woo! Thatt might be the first woo I've seen on this thread since I started following it last month. Admittedly, I miss a lot of posts.

Wasn't me (not that I'm calling anyone out). I seem to inadvertently hit it scrolling on mobile and have to double check the "woos" :blush:

Edited to correct goofyness. At hip surgeon's office and was interrupted haha!
  • polskagirl01
    Options
    Uggh, sorry the formatting was messed up. I think it was a missing [ but I'm splitting my responses into separate posts to simplify things.
    First night of marathon training tonight, officially if not in actual intensity. I will actually usually go on Wednesday nights but tomorrow I have the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge, so I swapped to the other group across town. I just did a base run instead of the workout also due to just finishing the HM on Sunday and having the race tomorrow night - although I'm not sure I'll run that one hard either. The last thing I want to do is injure myself at the start of training. Marathon is 20 weeks and 5 days away (I promise I am not planning to count down every day).
    1) If I had to choose, I'd rather get injured on the first run of marathon training, than the last one. It was the worst feeling when I fell in January, during my last run before we were flying out to the race. Fortunately I was fine, but as I was falling it was as though my entire training cycle and upcoming race flashed before my eyes. Marathon training is SO much work for me, the race ends up being the reward, really.
    2) Maybe the race website has a countdown - even to the second! It's okay to be excited about it! I'm even excited for you :)
  • polskagirl01
    Options

exercise.png

This morning I "slept in" to 6 and got my run in before my busy day started. I don't like to do much more than an hour run before starting my day, because sleep is important, too! So I plan longer runs for after kids are at school on days that I work later or am off/flexible.
    Later, I rode my bike to/from work. I will need to do some more cycling before this commute will feel easy. The way home is the hardest, more uphill and I'm more tired. BUT it was a good challenge for me today.

Upcoming races:
    6/30 Silesian Highland [trail] Half Marathon
    7/16 CityTrail OnTour 5k
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Great article @shanaber
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

I love it! I'm a bit competitive with myself and am happy to see my speed gradually increasing, but I don't think breaking the 10 minute mile will top the feeling of knowing that I can RUN. That first time I ran a mile without stopping was magical.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, my sunscreen follow-up got a woo! That might be the first woo I've seen on this thread since I started following it last month. Admittedly, I miss a lot of posts.

Yeah, I have always shied away from the 'Woo'. I have never quite understood if that was a 'good' Woo or some sort of 'snarky' Woo.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Another update regarding my return to running post (R)ITBS AND endoscopic nerve decompression at (L)piriformis. I'm going too have to drop them an "I owe you my life" kinda note at some point...

Saw "not the doc" today. Basically I'm on track. I need to work on my glute max strength on my left. I think he was a little disappointed I wasn't running more minutes but agreed with where I am once we looked at the left side.

He had me do a jump test. Left- eh, right- great. If you can't jump up and land on one foot and hold it for more than 10 seconds, you need to address some issues.

I'm (supposed to be) doing the bird dog 3 days a week, maybe the donkey kicks too, to address this weakness. @7lenny7 I still have your pt. I'll probably do some of it at this point, and consider some resistance work

Another month, and I'll probably be ready to take the training wheels off. Long journey with this crap, but I think there's finally light at the end of the tunnel.

So, everyone. Do a hop test. You should also be able to stand on one leg, eyes closed for 10+ seconds. Can you do it?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Question: Now that I'm more or less in "HM shape" all of the time, what do I do between races that are three months apart? Starting over on a a 12 week Hal Higdon program seems weird since I don't really want to back down my long runs. Is there a "HM base" program somewhere and then kick it into gear closer to 6 weeks to the race?